Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The STAR WARS prequels

HoldenIsHere

In anticipation of the release of STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (Episode VII) in December 2015  my sweetie and I have been re-watching the previous STAR WARS movies in episodic order as opposed to release date order --- meaning that we began with the prequels that were originally released from 1999 to 2005.

At the risk of being vilified, I find that I actually enjoy these movies.

I must have been influenced by the overwhelming negative reaction to ATTACK OF THE CLONES (Episode II) during its initial release because I seem to remember being vauely disappointed when I first saw it. However, upon recently seeing this movie again, I must confess that I found it to be very entertaining.

Star-Wars-Prequels1-600x300.jpg

• Like 1

HoldenIsHere--Just remember "Star Wars" (SW) (1977) was The film that brought back a whole slew (sp?) of big budget sci-fi films, Now, if films don't deliver with performances And special effects, people will grouse & ***** that they aren't as good as the originals.  Let them.  Just remember, SW was essentially an overblown Saturday morning kids sci-fi- show with grown-up special effects.  Enjoy the movies--let people complain--& think of the impact the first trilogy had.  That's probably why people are being so hard on Lucas' prequels.

I actually saw SW as an amalgam.  Part Sci-Fi, part Western, and part  '40's War movie.  With some of a bit of Flynn and Rathbone Swashbuckler thrown in.  The two sequels managed to maintain some of that vibe. But sadly, the prequels did not, and I think THAT'S the major complaint about them. 

Well, that AND Jar-Jar Binks.  :lol:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I give Lucas credit for making the movies he wanted rather than letting audience testing force changes ( a la the ending of FATAL ATTRACTION).

Many people were clamoring for Jar Jar Binks to be slaughtered in the final prequel movie (REVENGE OF THE SITH) but Lucas held to his vision.

tumblr_l2i0riXbDX1qc1c4ao1_500.jpg

• Like 1

The biggest problem with the "Star Wars" prequels -- and the only one I really dislike is "Attack of the Clones" -- was the absence of Harrison Ford's Han Solo. The character's bravado and cynicism were sorely missed.

• Like 1

Obviously, my wife and I are in the minority about it, but when we saw STAR WARS in a packed movie theater in 1977, we were so bored by it, we fell sound asleep.  That never happened before or since.  By the time the third one came along, my first son was old enough to want to see it.  They re-released the first two, and for a bit, you could see all three in theaters.  I took him to see all of them, and really tried to have an open mind about it.  I was even somewhat excited to be taking him, so my attitude was very positive, but the same thing happened.  I didn't exactly fall asleep, like the first time, but about 20 minutes or so, into the thing, I just glazed over.  To this day, I cannot give you a plot synopsis of it.  The second one, was somewhat more bearable, but still completely dull, to me.  That third thing, with kids or little people running around in teddy bear suits or whatever they were, counts as the worst time I ever spent in a movie theater. It just seemed interminable.  When my other sons were old enough, and there was yet, another re-release of those films, a neighbor took them.  Needless to say, I never saw the additional films, and never will.  I just lack the gene that finds anything worth viewing in these films.  I wish I didn't, since they are so popular.  It would be nice to enjoy them.  To be fair, I can count on less than one hand the movies I've enjoyed with an outer space setting.

Obviously, my wife and I are in the minority about it, but when we saw STAR WARS in a packed movie theater in 1977, we were so bored by it, we fell sound asleep.  That never happened before or since.  By the time the third one came along, my first son was old enough to want to see it.  They re-released the first two, and for a bit, you could see all three in theaters.  I took him to see all of them, and really tried to have an open mind about it.  I was even somewhat excited to be taking him, so my attitude was very positive, but the same thing happened.  I didn't exactly fall asleep, like the first time, but about 20 minutes or so, into the thing, I just glazed over.  To this day, I cannot give you a plot synopsis of it.  The second one, was somewhat more bearable, but still completely dull, to me.  That third thing, with kids or little people running around in teddy bear suits or whatever they were, counts as the worst time I ever spent in a movie theater. It just seemed interminable.  When my other sons were old enough, and there was yet, another re-release of those films, a neighbor took them.  Needless to say, I never saw the additional films, and never will.  I just lack the gene that finds anything worth viewing in these films.  I wish I didn't, since they are so popular.  It would be nice to enjoy them.  To be fair, I can count on less than one hand the movies I've enjoyed with an outer space setting.

The only thing I enjoy about Star Wars and some sequels was the Harrison Ford character and his overall attitude as the very reluctant hero.    He was given some great lines that reminded me of Bogie in The Big Sleep or Maltese Falcon.   Otherwise the plot of Star Wars was very standard,  as found in so many westerns,  just updated with fairly cheap looking sci-fi props.

• Like 1

The only thing I enjoy about Star Wars and some sequels was the Harrison Ford character and his overall attitude as the very reluctant hero.    He was given some great lines that reminded me of Bogie in The Big Sleep or Maltese Falcon.   Otherwise the plot of Star Wars was very standard,  as found in so many westerns,  just updated with fairly cheap looking sci-fi props.

I would agree with this.  I think the concentration on his character in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, helped me, at least, stay awake through that one!

Obviously, my wife and I are in the minority about it, but when we saw STAR WARS in a packed movie theater in 1977, we were so bored by it, we fell sound asleep. 

My mother's story about seeing the first STAR WARS movie in a theater during its original release was similar to yours.

She found the movie boring. She said she tried to enjoy the score but ended up falling asleep.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings