Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Omar Sharif has died

Wow, me too. Certainly a barrier-breaker in Hollywood for non-Caucasians seeking roles beyond just native savage/Arab bandit stereotypes.

There was like a 10-page thread recently where dozens of people vented on why they hate DR. ZHIVAGO, but I always thought he was really good in it.

In the summer of '73, I spent a rather fun and interesting evening with Omar Sharif in the Half Moon Club, in Salzburg, Austria.  He cousin was the head waiter at the Cafe Winkler, and he and I had become friends.  He was very nice and very funny.  My he rest in peace.  My favorite performance of his is as Feodor Sverdlov in THE TAMARIND SEED (which TCM really should show).

• Like 2

Awww....

My best friend's mom is gonna be beside herself.  SHE really had the "hots" for Omar!

I thought he was a fair enough actor, and my paper STILL carries his bridge column.

RIP, Mr. Sharif.  You did well.

Sepiatone

He was very good in many roles.  I think Night of the Generals was one of his best.

I hope TCM does not show Dr. Zhivago or Lawrence of Arabia when they do the memorial pre-emptions.  They are already showed a lot.  Be a good time to show some of his less shown works.

He was very good in many roles.  I think Night of the Generals was one of his best.

I hope TCM does not show Dr. Zhivago or Lawrence of Arabia when they do the memorial pre-emptions.  They are already showed a lot.  Be a good time to show some of his less shown works.

LOL. I hadnt thought of that. ;D

.but I'm already bracing myself.

Sad news. I admired him for being an accepted & successful foreign actor in US films. Every role I've seen him in, he's played a not so nice guy (Zhivago, Funny Girl) but I still liked him. Guess it was his gorgeous-ness.

There was like a 10-page thread recently where dozens of people vented on why they hate DR. ZHIVAGO, but I always thought he was really good in it.

Well...I think part of the ZHIVAGO hate stems largely from the fact that, for a time at least, it was THE go-to film for TCM when they had three hours to kill on a weekend...why it also showed up in prime time (seemingly) a dozen times a year is anyone's guess. I actually think it's not bad at all- flawed, but (for me) pretty compelling in spite of the glacial pacing and lack of storyline) but little nits and picks sometimes turn into ripped holes when something gets trotted out during prime viewing hours 147 times in 10 years.

But I am reminded of the interstitial wherein Omar discusses working with David Lean on ZHIVAGO and how he instructed him to play the role (more or less) as a blank slate...which is actually a pretty big challenge for a good actor (and Sharif was a very, very good actor)...and that's what he does in ZHIVAGO, so I think therein lies some sort of testemant to the fact that there was tremendous talent there (the same issue was discussed with regard to Hurd Hatfield in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY)

ps- I hope they show JUGGERNAUT (1974) where Sharif plays the captain of a cruise ship being terrorized by a mad bomber. That is a TERRIFIC movie.

• Like 3

Well...I think part of the ZHIVAGO hate stems largely from the fact that, for a time at least, it was THE go-to film for TCM when they had three hours to kill on a weekend...why it also showed up in prime time (seemingly) a dozen times a year is anyone's guess. I actually think it's not bad at all- flawed, but (for me) pretty compelling in spite of the glacial pacing and lack of storyline) but little nits and picks sometimes turn into ripped holes when something gets trotted out during prime viewing hours 147 times in 10 years.

But I am reminded of the interstitial wherein Omar discusses working with David Lean on ZHIVAGO and how he instructed him to play the role (more or less) as a blank slate...which is actually a pretty big challenge for a good actor (and Sharif was a very, very good actor)...and that's what he does in ZHIVAGO, so I think therein lies some sort of testemant to the fact that there was tremendous talent there (the same issue was discussed with regard to Hurd Hatfield in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY)

ps- I hope they show JUGGERNAUT (1974) where Sharif plays the captain of a cruise ship being terrorized by a mad bomber. That is a TERRIFIC movie.

And I think that's one of the weaknesses of the film. A bad decision on Lean's part (the blankness)...........

And I think that's one of the weaknesses of the film. A bad decision on Lean's part (the blankness)...........

Oh yeah, absolutely.

But still, Sharif pulls it off, which could not have been easy (both because it was not right for the film and so much less than he was capable of as an actor.)

I suspect the line up will be Lawrence, Zhivago and Funny Girl. Nothing else.......We'll see.

Yup. Even odds on that.

Although they have shown JUGGERNAUT before, and (again) it is REALLY, REALLY GOOD (only it'll likely air after those three colossal films have run and thusly start at about four in the morning.)

• Like 2

I would put his Sherif Ali Ibn El Kharish in Lawrence of Arabia (1962) up there in the ten best supporting actor film performances of all time.  He really should have won the Oscar for that part.

He's number two in my book just behind Walter Huston for Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).

• Like 2

I would put his Sherif Ali Ibn El Kharish in Lawrence of Arabia (1962) up there in the ten best supporting actor film performances of all time.  He really should have won the Oscar for that part.

It really is subtle work, and he adds such nuance to a character it would be so easy to hate at the beginning and we really see how he changes through the film- which is what great acting is all about.

I think Ed Begley won for SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH largely because he had been working in TV, film and radio since God was a boy (or so it seemed)- and he's fine, but no: not as good as Sharif.

• Like 1

He's number two in my book just behind Walter Huston for Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).

Who won that year? I cant remember.

Oh, I see it was Ed Begley. He had a showier role, and older actors usually win in the supporting category, (especially actor for some reason) over new younger nominees.....

It would be nice if TCM could air  "THE BALTIMORE BULLET" (1980).   A decent enough movie starring James Coburn + Omar along with Bruce Boxleitner, Ronee Blakley and Jack O'Halloran.  At least it's a change of pace from those lengthy historical epics.

One thing, though, is that I don't know if there's a digital copy of "Baltimore Bulet" floating around.  I've read on here that TCM needs digital copies of movies to air them and I'm not sure of any DVD release . . . ?   

The first time I saw 'JUGGERNAUT' it was better than I expected it to be.  Hopefully Turner Classic will give it another showing if they do an Omar tribute.  I like 'DOCTOR ZHIVAGO' well enough to give it another watch when TCM inevitably airs it again. 

ALSO:  Just wanted to mention Omar starred in a 1980 Tv movie called "PLEASURE PALACE" with Victoria Principal and Hope Lange.  It was directed by Walter Grauman, who died in March of this year.  Not sure about a digital copy of this one, either, but I could send TCM my old 'U.S.A. Home Video' tape so they could make themselves one.  :)  

It would be nice if TCM could air  "THE BALTIMORE BULLET" (1980).   A decent enough movie starring James Coburn + Omar along with Bruce Boxleitner, Ronee Blakley and Jack O'Halloran.  At least it's a change of pace from those lengthy historical epics.

One thing, though, is that I don't know if there's a digital copy of "Baltimore Bulet" floating around.  I've read on here that TCM needs digital copies of movies to air them and I'm not sure of any DVD release . . . ?   

The first time I saw 'JUGGERNAUT' it was better than I expected it to be.  Hopefully Turner Classic will give it another showing if they do an Omar tribute.  I like 'DOCTOR ZHIVAGO' well enough to give it another watch when TCM inevitably airs it again. 

ALSO:  Just wanted to mention Omar starred in a 1980 Tv movie called "PLEASURE PALACE" with Victoria Principal and Hope Lange.  It was directed by Walter Grauman, who died in March of this year.  Not sure about a digital copy of this one, either, but I could send TCM my old 'U.S.A. Home Video' tape so they could make themselves one.  :)  

my idea to honor Omar would be a Genghis khan double header...

let tcm show Genghis Khan starring Sharif from 1965 followed by Duke in The Conqueror. :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings