Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ARMORED CAR ROBBERY AND THE KILLING

AndyM108

That was one great scene, and like you AndyM108, I immediately thought of The Killing when I saw the cash scattered to the four winds on the runway.  It reminds me to check the locks on my travel gear.  Just in case.  

I've probably told this story before on another thread, but those scenes have a particular resonance for me. Back in the early 70's, my former GF and I were returning to Washington from a fairly long trip where we were showing bootleg 16mm prints on college campuses, charging $1.00 per head and averaging over 1000 people per weekend.   Most of the take was in small bills, and we stuffed them all into a 20 year old canvas suitcase that by the end of the trip was fairly bulging at the zipper.

Yada yada yada our car broke down only a few blocks from our house, which wasn't in the greatest of neighborhoods, and while we were running down the street, one of us dropped the suitcase, it burst one of the seams, and about five or six thousand bucks came spilling onto the sidewalk.

Lucky for us it was well after midnight, the street was deserted, and even luckier for us that we'd wrapped tight rubber bands around the bundles of bills.  So no harm, no foul, but I'm telling you every time I see The Killing or Armored Car Robbery, my mind goes back about 40 years, and at least in the former case of Sterling Hayden I really start to feel the pain of the robber. :)

• Like 2

. . . Yada yada yada our car broke down only a few blocks from our house, which wasn't in the greatest of neighborhoods, and while we were running down the street, one of us dropped the suitcase, it burst one of the seams, and about five or six thousand bucks came spilling onto the sidewalk.

Lucky for us it was well after midnight, the street was deserted, and even luckier for us that we'd wrapped tight rubber bands around the bundles of bills.  So no harm, no foul, but I'm telling you every time I see The Killing or Armored Car Robbery, my mind goes back about 40 years, and at least in the former case of Sterling Hayden I really start to feel the pain of the robber. :)

Now that is a story.  I did not realize your profound ability to relate, shall we say, to the incidents in both films, particularly when your experience stemmed from your noble efforts--obviously very successful--to spread the word about the art of film. A nearly pure example of life imitating art, including the whiff of whatever we want to call it as to the bootleg copies of the films.  I am mindful of the "pain" you continue to experience when you see these two films, but I also hope you understand when I say a big thank you for the howler.  Great story.

• Like 1

I've probably told this story before on another thread, but those scenes have a particular resonance for me. Back in the early 70's, my former GF and I were returning to Washington from a fairly long trip where we were showing bootleg 16mm prints on college campuses, charging $1.00 per head and averaging over 1000 people per weekend.   Most of the take was in small bills, and we stuffed them all into a 20 year old canvas suitcase that by the end of the trip was fairly bulging at the zipper.

Yada yada yada our car broke down only a few blocks from our house, which wasn't in the greatest of neighborhoods, and while we were running down the street, one of us dropped the suitcase, it burst one of the seams, and about five or six thousand bucks came spilling onto the sidewalk.

Just curious, could you have been arrested for what you were doing?

Just curious, could you have been arrested for what you were doing?

Let's put it this way:  At one point we were renting the first episode of The Lone Ranger, along with an episode of The Mickey Mouse Club (including the original "Brusha, brusha, brusha" Ipana commercials) and 4 other half hour TV shows, to the ABC-Paramount theater chain, as part of a package we called "An Evening of Nostalgia".  The manager of their Greensboro theater asked me in delighted wonder, "Where did you ever come up with these things?" It might have interested him to know that The Lone Ranger and the Mickey Mouse Club both originally aired on the ABC network!  Small world, indeed.

I suppose that whoever held the copyrights might have made a stink and issued a cease-and-desist, but fortunately this was at a time when few studios were hiring million dollar lawyers to put a stop to a harmless pair of temporary hustlers who weren't costing them a dime.  That sort of paranoia came later. 

And in fact, just a few years later, there was a mention of what we were doing in either Time or Newsweek, even though no specifics were given.  And within a year or two after that, we were seeing all of "our" most popular shows being shown once again in re-runs, after they'd mostly all dropped out of sight by the late 60's.  So in a way you might say that we'd presented the copyright holders with a free bit of extensive market research and product testing, but in any event nobody ever complained. :)

• Like 1

Great story.  Add The Ladykillers (1955)  to this list!

Great story.  Add The Ladykillers (1955)  to this list!

I'm glad you mentioned that film.  I recorded it way back in 2010 but it got buried under an avalanche of Kurosawas that I was fixated on that month, and I never got around to seeing it.  But reading the plot summary, it sounds definitely worth watching.

I'm glad you mentioned that film.  I recorded it way back in 2010 but it got buried under an avalanche of Kurosawas that I was fixated on that month, and I never got around to seeing it.  But reading the plot summary, it sounds definitely worth watching.

The Ladykillers has a tremendous performance by Katie Johnson as Mrs. Wilberforce.  Sellers, Guinness, Herbert Lom, Cecil Parker and especially Danny Green are great too.

It's probably my favourite Ealing comedy.

I'm glad you mentioned that film. I recorded it way back in 2010 but it got buried under an avalanche of Kurosawas that I was fixated on that month, and I never got around to seeing it. But reading the plot summary, it sounds definitely worth watching.

Yes, that is one you should watch.

• 10 months later...

I was lucky enough to meet and chat with Joseph Turkel, who played one of the thugs in "The Killing".  He gushed a solid fifteen minutes about what a genius Stanley Kubrick was, and I can't argue with any of it.  "The Killing" is one of my favourites.

14626501339_487d91641e_b.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings