Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warning gone with the wind is being attack

28Silent

I could not believe  eyes,but I am not surprised .In the new York post a crazy  a film reviewer  Lou Lamank want to have this classic banned from the public.This reviewer   suggested it on the base of the more recent fight to remove the Confederate flag off of  government property ,which is different ,that this film needs to be banned off of home video classic film channels just because it reflect the civil war racism .Sure it does have racism ,but historical civil war racism .You cannot change history or deny it. .As much as i complain that t,c.m does not show bad film history equally  ,but half way only ,with good history . totally,that t.c.m and time Warner ignores this  .Just because a film reflect our hate of the pass doesn't mean it should not be seen .Obviously this is hypocritical  ,In my opinion  he might wants some kind of publicity .Now i know you state no discussion of politics ,but,this in case is in connection with a classic film that t.c.m. shows,Pleas defend gone with the wind against this phony liberal film reviewer Fortunately  

in the magazine there was a big defense  for for it by the comment  blog   for it and less condemnation  By the way Turner classic movie is a Film museum  of cable television,since  old films from  the  1910's to the early 2000 are not shown in movie theaters any more .So  :)

I keep telling you all, political correctness is OVER THE TOP!!  Just to SUGGEST such a thing!

Wake up!  Stop going along with those who think its trendy.  By the way the sale of Confederate flags can not keep up with demand - some sites has 5+ weeks of back orders. People are simply buying them just to prove a point.

What's next, this be banned?!

shirleytemple-thelittlestrebel.jpg

Here is a snapshot of a scene in "Gone With The Wind"  KEEP IT!!!!

gwtw2.jpg

I could not believe  eyes,but I am not surprised .In the new York post a crazy  a film reviewer  Lou Lamank want to have this classic banned from the public.This reviewer   suggested it on the base of the more recent fight to remove the Confederate flag off of  government property ,which is different ,that this film needs to be banned off of home video classic film channels just because it reflect the civil war racism .Sure it does have racism ,but historical civil war racism .You cannot change history or deny it. .As much as i complain that t,c.m does not show bad film history equally  ,but half way only ,with good history . totally,that t.c.m and time Warner ignores this  .Just because a film reflect our hate of the pass doesn't mean it should not be seen .Obviously this is hypocritical  ,In my opinion  he might wants some kind of publicity .Now i know you state no discussion of politics ,but,this in case is in connection with a classic film that t.c.m. shows,Pleas defend gone with the wind against this phony liberal film reviewer Fortunately  

in the magazine there was a big defense  for for it by the comment  blog   for it and less condemnation  By the way Turner classic movie is a Film museum  of cable television,since  old films from  the  1910's to the early 2000 are not shown in movie theaters any more .So  :)

http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/gone-with-the-wind-should-go-the-way-of-the-confederate-flag/

http://nypost.com/2015/06/26/fear-of-ban-sparks-run-on-gone-with-the-wind/

What a shame that America has become a population of victims, who require legislation over their every offense.  A bunch of wimps with the vapors.  Yes, let's pretend history doesn't exist.  Let's destroy every structure, every symbol.  Louisiana is talking about taking down statues that some find offensive.  Know who else is destroying history? ISIS.

What a shame that America has become a population of victims, who require legislation over their every offense.  A bunch of wimps with the vapors.  Yes, let's pretend history doesn't exist.  Let's destroy every structure, every symbol.  Louisiana is talking about taking down statues that some find offensive.  Know who else is destroying history? ISIS.

History is repeating itself!

maxresdefault.jpg

imageasm-buecherverbrennung.jpg?itok=SAY

]

A President Clark of Babylon 5 type is not far behind.  J. Michael Straczynski,  you are a 20th Century PROPHET and a genius

voices-of-authority-03.jpg

Sometimes you just want to sit down and cry on the state of affairs in this Country. Other times you just want to scream and break something. We've become a nation of "I want everyone to like me", no matter the price.....God help us..Oh, I can't say God, it might offend someone....

Sometimes you just want to sit down and cry on the state of affairs in this Country. Other times you just want to scream and break something. We've become a nation of "I want everyone to like me", no matter the price.....God help us..Oh, I can't say God, it might offend someone....

Feeling like this guy? 

tumblr_lmnh6xFGyd1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

1st:

hamradio, re your first post--please don't give this braying fool who calls himself a film critic any ideas!

2nd--I agree with Mr. Gorman--are much more racist films than GWTW to attack--GWTW is the most well-known film he could go after.

johnm001--TN is also discussing removing statues.

fredbaetz--agree with your post completely.

op--thanks for the post.  I never would have thought to look for this.

JakeHolman--GWTW is too much of a film historical landmark to be thrown away w/o notice--IMO 

There is no need for paranoia.   Idiotic film reviewers like Mr. Lamank can't ban a film.   They don't have the power to do so.   Even politicians are limited when it comes to banning films or other works of art.  e.g.  Only a few years back Ohio passed a law that lead to the temporary banning of Lolita but the law was overturned by the courts for being too broad.      

I keep telling you all, political correctness is OVER THE TOP!!

Wake up!  Stop going along with those who think its trendy.  By the way the sale of Confederate flags can not keep up with demand - some sites has 5+ weeks of back orders. People are simply buying them just to prove a point.

What's next, this be banned?!

Here is a snapshot of a scene in "Gone With The Wind"  KEEP IT!!!!

To me you're also being over the top;    Tell me what movie has actually been banned?    Oh wait,  in the south some X-rate movies are but no movie has been banned because of liberal political correctness that I know of.    But hey, if I'm mistaken,  name the movies and what government agency banned the film.     (oh,  and a school that decides to NOT show a film isn't banning the film).  

To me you're also being over the top;    Tell what movie has actually been banned?    Oh wait,  in the south some X-rate movies are but no movie has been banned because of liberal political correctness that I know of.    But hey, if I'm mistaken,  name the movies and what government agency banned the film.     (oh,  and a school that decides to NOT show a film isn't banning the film).  

I'm not getting into this again. (The P.C. issue to have everything twisted)

You mean,  you listed films that were actually banned and I missed that post?     Wow,  I don't know how I could have missed that.

The idiotic film critics SUGGESTION that any film be banned. I never said any were but the today's political court system - Yes I have the concern.  I pray any effort to ban any film be struck down, now and forever.

It's called incrementation. Being concerned is not paranoia. (I simply give a hoot)  Hope Lou is FORGOTTEN completely  6 months from now. 

We start by telling Lou Lumenick stick his idea about GWTW where the sun don't shine.

In general I agree with your sentiments, if not your typing

I don't think Gone With The Wind is being attacked, nor do I think it needs to be banned. It just needs to stop being framed as a romantic nostalgia of days dreamed of what the antebellum South was like. Gone With The Wind, The Littlest Rebel, and other classic films were made in a time when Jim Crow was still alive and when most slave owners were, at least those old enough to remember when they owned another human being outside of their own wives. 

This temper tantrum people are throwing over disrespected history, these uneducated comparisons to suppression of history and comparing the flag being taken down outside of state buildings is just plain idiotic. The Confederate flag belongs in a museum. The museum should accurately say what the flag represents in history. The same is true for these films that glory the revisionist fiction of Margaret Mitchell, and other revisionist fictions that do not account for the actual experiences of the slave versus what slave owners thought of their slaves. 

We can view these films, we can view the flag, but we need to be responsible viewers and look at history honestly. We should be happy that TCM shows these films in an educational light for starters. We should be happy that TCM highlights these films in history and highlights performances in the film, as well as other filmmaking aspects worth noticing, but the social message needs to be looked at honestly and constructively. 

End the revisionist romance, and tell the truth. I've always equated the Confederate flag with the Nazi flag, because to me, they both symbolize racist hatred and racist systematic violence and mass murder of innocents. Knowledge of heritage does meaning owning the negatives of history as well as the positives.  

I'm sort of surprised by the intensity of the reaction here. I would have thought based on my long history of reading posts on this board that no one here would be particularly concerned if GWTW was never shown anywhere again! :)

Boy, wait until somebody calls for the banning of NORTH BY NORTHWEST! The reaction here ought to be FIERCE!

1) Lots of MATRIX-inspired fight scenes where the action speeds way up, then slows way down, then speeds way up again, then slows way down again ...

2) Lots of super-heroes.

3) Lots of dystopian futures in which teenagers inexplicably always play major roles in shaping the fate of humanity radically disproportionate to the amount of power and influence teenagers have over world events in real life.

4) Lots of animated films.

I'm sort of surprised by the intensity of the reaction here. I would have thought based on my long history of reading posts on this board that no one here would be particularly concerned if GWTW was never shown anywhere again! :)

Boy, wait until somebody calls for the banning of NORTH BY NORTHWEST! The reaction here ought to be FIERCE!

I am against banning almost any film, but now that you mention it, I might make an exception in the case of NBNW!

Archived