Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warning gone with the wind is being attack

28Silent

Sooner or later GONE WITH THE WIND will be banned from TV. Not necessairly by law, but by various kinds of corporate boycots, and Turner, Time-Warner will have to cave in, just as Fox Films caved in with the Charlie Chan boycotts.

We haven't seen BIRTH OF A NATION on TCM in a long time. We haven't seen TRIUMPH OF THE WILL on TCM in nearly 20 years.

Soon all the films that contain blackface scenes will be gone. (When have we ever seen MAMMY on TCM?)

My guess is that T.V. as we know it today will be gone before GWTW is withheld from a network's rotation and that steaming service companies will not limit access to certain films (Internet companies are very 'consumer-choice' when it comes to content).     But there is a concern that the companies that own the rights to certain films will not lease these films to streaming service providers.     The solution is to limit the copyright period so that films are in the public domain and therefore can't be restricted.  

"Secession belongs to a different class of remedies. It is to be justified upon the basis that the States are Sovereign. There was a time when none denied it. I hope the time may come again, when a better comprehension of the theory of our Government, and the inalienable rights of the people of the States, will prevent any one from denying that each State is a Sovereign, and thus may reclaim the grants which it has made to any agent whomsoever."

Jefferson Davis

Jefferson Davis based the right to secede on the 10th Amendment that stated if the states have not granted the Federal government the right to obstruct secession then the States have the right to secede. The Constitution was silent on the right of secession. Since it was silent and no given right stated for the Federal government to obstruct its process, then the States had the lawful right to secede.

There was no treason. The South and Jefferson Davis never had any intention to occupy Washington and set up a new government. In the first battle of Bull Run, after the South had the Yankees on the run, Stonewall Jackson did urgently request Davis give him 10,000 troops to march on Washington and end the War quickly by taking it. Davis declined and later stated it was one of his of most regrettable decisions.

Davis was never tried for treason. He wanted a trial.

When Davis gave his inauguration speech he stated "all we ask is to be left alone".

Latest is that it is 99% DNA certain that Jefferson fathered all of them.

I stand on what I stated. It's still disputed by some scholars and others with current DNA.

Have a great evening.

Many of the early southern states to secede were as careless as to

leave a record of secession documents, which plainly show that

slavery and its abolition was the thing they were concerend about,

not tariffs or cultural or economic differences.

Au Contraire.  Slavery was the major issue, but there were so many others.  The tariffs almost led to secession, not once but twice in the 1830's.   Even if slavery was cause of secession for many states, what motivated the people to support the war for four years?  It is a very complex issue and will be debated for decades and generations to come.

After all, it did not become a war to end slavery until Lincoln needed to recruit more soldiers and more importantly to keep England and France from recognizing and supporting the Confederacy.  And that was in 1863.  Even then slavery was not outlawed in the US.

There was no one cause, but rather a confluence of unresolved issues left over from creating a single nation from 13 nations. And each state did consider itself a sovereign nation that was entering into a compact with other sovereign nations. Slavery and who would determine its future (the states or central government) were the greatest.  

Few people today realize that SC was one of the most populous and wealthiest of the colonies in 1776.  Also that the Southern states politically dominated the nation for more than fifty years.  These states saw their dominance evaporating as more states were added from the Northwest and as immigrint populations swelled the northeastern states.

Add in the vastly different social and economic issues of the time.

Remember, what politicians say and what they record are seldom the whole truth.

"Gone With the Wind" is scheduled to be aired on TCM August 18 (Vivien Leigh is the star highlighted for that day)--at 8:00 p.m. E.S.T.--I Know I will be watching (for the 11th time--on television--not counting the time I saw it on re-release on the movie screen in the early 2000's).

Au Contraire.  Slavery was the major issue, but there were so many others.  The tariffs almost led to secession, not once but twice in the 1830's.   Even if slavery was cause of secession for many states, what motivated the people to support the war for four years?  It is a very complex issue and will be debated for decades and generations to come.

And let us not forget Alexander Stephens and Lincoln were the best of friends. Stephens even stated slavery was safer in the Union than out of it. He did not at first want to leave the Union like other Southerners. There were folks fighting for the Union cause from the border states where slavery existed who owned slaves. Lincoln wanted to colonize the slaves to parts of the Caribbean and South America. He also stated in his first inaugural that his main duty was to "collect the duties and imposts". Them tariffs.

Your word complex is appropriate.

Have a great evening.

Jefferson Davis and Greta Garbo--separated at birth. :)

Wait Vautrin! Jefferson Davis had enormous feet TOO???

(...actually goin' for somethin' more like they both vanted..err..wanted to be left "alone", right?!) ;)

Wait Vautrin! Jefferson Davis had enormous feet TOO???

(...actually goin' for somethin' more like they both vanted..err..wanted to be left "alone", right?!) ;)

I think you're confusing him with Bette Davis.

Mmm.   Oh, uh, I musta wandered onto the History Channel chat site.  No, wait.  The History Channel doesn't have history on it anymore, it's all about swamps and pawning and edge people.  And this site--this site is not about movies, it's about people using the discussion of movies to clandestinely push their own agendas.  It gets so dispiriting.  You come here eager and puppy-dog for interesting takes and excitement over films, and what do you get?  People pulling out their tattered old hobby horses and riding them gusto.  The same tired round and round, with no one ever convinced, or being convinced--or wanting to, because it's the arguing is the point.  And every time the argument goes around, the particular gets more and more, until the balance of history depends on the shade of intent of somebody.  But this is America, where everybody has the right to be tiresome excruciate.  Says so, in the constitution.  But hey, if you want to get your jollies off, and your blood racing, _____ forbid me from demurring.  Only, take it somewhere else, please.

Mmm.   Oh, uh, I musta wandered onto the History Channel chat site.  No, wait.  The History Channel doesn't have history on it anymore, it's all about swamps and pawning and edge people.  And this site--this site is not about movies, it's about people using the discussion of movies to clandestinely push their own agendas.  It gets so dispiriting.  You come here eager and puppy-dog for interesting takes and excitement over films, and what do you get?  People pulling out their tattered old hobby horses and riding them gusto.  The same tired round and round, with no one ever convinced, or being convinced--or wanting to, because it's the arguing is the point.  And every time the argument goes around, the particular gets more and more, until the balance of history depends on the shade of intent of somebody.  But this is America, where everybody has the right to be tiresome excruciate.  Says so, in the constitution.  But hey, if you want to get your jollies off, and your blood racing, _____ forbid me from demurring.  Only, take it somewhere else, please

In The Loved One, John Gielgud welcomes his English nephew to America. He tells him about Americans:

"They talk entirely for their own pleasure. And they never expect you to listen.

Remember that, dear boy. It's the secret of social ease in this country."

I felt I oughta mention that, from 1984-87, I went to 'Jefferson Davis Middle School' in Palm Springs, FL.  Sometime in the '90s the school had a 'face lift' and was re-named.  (I think it was re-named 'Palm Springs Middle School').       

Sooner or later GONE WITH THE WIND will be banned from TV. Not necessairly by law, but by various kinds of corporate boycots, and Turner, Time-Warner will have to cave in, just as Fox Films caved in with the Charlie Chan boycotts.

We haven't seen BIRTH OF A NATION on TCM in a long time. We haven't seen TRIUMPH OF THE WILL on TCM in nearly 20 years.

Soon all the films that contain blackface scenes will be gone. (When have we ever seen MAMMY on TCM?)

We've yet to see such films as Malcolm X, Menace 2 Society, Fresh, El Norte, Sweet Sweetback's Bada s s Song, and many other films like these on TCM, while The Birth of a Nation has been shown many times, GWTW is shown nearly as often as Casablanca, and utterly mediocre films with blackface scenes, stereotyped black characters, and throwaway racist lines from Hollywood's so-called "Golden Age" are a dime a dozen.  Given this sort of contrast, the idea that TCM is "censoring" the latter type of film is absurd. If they're "censoring" anything, it's films with a distinct African American or Latino POV other than those by Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, and a tiny handful of others along those lines.

Mmm.   Oh, uh, I musta wandered onto the History Channel chat site.  No, wait.  The History Channel doesn't have history on it anymore, it's all about swamps and pawning and edge people.  And this site--this site is not about movies, it's about people using the discussion of movies to clandestinely push their own agendas.  It gets so dispiriting.  You come here eager and puppy-dog for interesting takes and excitement over films, and what do you get?  People pulling out their tattered old hobby horses and riding them gusto.  The same tired round and round, with no one ever convinced, or being convinced--or wanting to, because it's the arguing is the point.  And every time the argument goes around, the particular gets more and more, until the balance of history depends on the shade of intent of somebody.  But this is America, where everybody has the right to be tiresome excruciate.  Says so, in the constitution.  But hey, if you want to get your jollies off, and your blood racing, _____ forbid me from demurring.  Only, take it somewhere else, please.

I was going to say, "Welcome to the World of TCM Chit-Chat Land" as this is rather new to the site, is it only this latest upgrade (April 2014) that it has been a part of the forum? Then I realized hey wait a minute this thread is supposed to be about banning GWTW or not , so it was permitted to launch in Gen Discussions. The OP specifically mentions this, yes sir he has his eye on the more popular category. No Chit Chat land for this. Clandestine is right, this thread is not about movie in the usual way we discuss movies, it's like a little MacGuffin, it gets the balling into a direction of all kinds incendiary material, but it's no longer about GWTW. The subject matter is interesting in its own right, but I agree it doesn't seem to belong here. It's not the end of the world but it is "dispiriting" (as mentioned) Isn't it better we know each other by how we feel about movies rather than what our politics, religion, and "agendas" are. These sort of discussions divides, I love your take on the movie but your opinion on the Confederate Flag really sucks and you don't think I'm going forget about that, do ya?  If we want this sort of thing, there is a place to go. Cable News. Don't these TV stations have forums or user comments! I'm sure the moderators are taking a close look at this thread but has it not occurred to them by now that it belongs in Chitty Chat? It would be nice if they would relocate because it would be easier to ignore. Yeah, I know, I know, I don't have read it if I don't like it, right? But I don't have to tell you that normal behavior of any forumite is curiosity and a lot of impulsive clicking here or there results. So we get hooked a little and then for some us at least that sense of dissatisfaction sets in. So many threads are now Liberalism this or Conservative that ... Isn't there supposed to be a prohibition on politics, and religions, and the like here? So why is it not being enforced? I don't like sounding how I may be sounding but I would hope that the boards are not changing in a direction that will most certainly diminish it.

Have a nice morning.

laffite

I was going to say, "Welcome to the World of TCM Chit-Chat Land" as this is rather new to the site, is it only this latest upgrade (April 2014) that it has been a part of the forum? Then I realized hey wait a minute this thread is supposed to be about banning GWTW or not , so it was permitted to launch in Gen Discussions. The OP specifically mentions this, yes sir he has his eye on the more popular category. No Chit Chat land for this. Clandestine is right, this thread is not about movie in the usual way we discuss movies, it's like a little MacGuffin, it gets the balling into a direction of all kinds incendiary material, but it's no longer about GWTW. The subject matter is interesting in its own right, but I agree it doesn't seem to belong here. It's not the end of the world but it is "dispiriting" (as mentioned) Isn't it better we know each other by how we feel about movies rather than what our politics, religion, and "agendas" are. These sort of discussions divides, I love your take on the movie but your opinion on the Confederate Flag really sucks and you don't think I'm going forget about that, do ya?  If we want this sort of thing, there is a place to go. Cable News. Don't these TV stations have forums or user comments! I'm sure the moderators are taking a close look at this thread but has it not occurred to them by now that it belongs in Chitty Chat? It would be nice if they would relocate because it would be easier to ignore. Yeah, I know, I know, I don't have read it if I don't like it, right? But I don't have to tell you that normal behavior of any forumite is curiosity and a lot of impulsive clicking here or there results. So we get hooked a little and then for some us at least that sense of dissatisfaction sets in. So many threads are now Liberalism this or Conservative that ... Isn't there supposed to be a prohibition on politics, and religions, and the like here? So why is it not being enforced? I don't like sounding how I may be sounding but I would hope that the boards are not changing in a direction that will most certainly diminish it.

Have a nice morning.

laffite

Yes, please--let's go back to discussion on films, not politics--GWTW is not going away, tomorrow or the year after tomorrow--it is too entrenched in the public consciousness--I too hope this board is not shifting to political discussions (I hope I'm not misunderstanding your post, lafitte--if I am, forgive me--I've only had one cup of coffee this morning).

Time for moderators to lock this post.  As I feared it has become too political and not what a TCM Forum should be about.  Mea Culpa.  I have a hard time not responding when I see something I disagree with.

Keep it open. There has been no name calling. Differing opinions? Right, as it should be. An adult here has numerous threads to go to other than this one. Use ignore or don't click. No thought police, please. 

Oh, Gone With The Wind  is harmless.

What really burns me is Touch of Evil.  Now there's a film that should be banned. Who can forget Orson Welles' anti-Mexican diatribe?

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to us. They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime; (like car bombs), they're rapists .. just ask Janet Leigh. And some, I assume like Mike Vargas, are good people."

Oh, Gone With The Wind  is harmless.

What really burns me is Touch of Evil.  Now there's a film that should be banned. Who can forget Orson Welles' anti-Mexican diatribe?

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems to us. They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime; (like car bombs), they're rapists .. just ask Janet Leigh. And some, I assume like Mike Vargas, are good people."

Orson Wells or Donald Trump?

To hear Mr. Trump talk, you'd think Mexico was sending The Brainiac (El Baron del Terror) -- whom I would like to see on TCM:

NDVD_021.JPG

To hear Mr. Trump talk, you'd think Mexico was sending The Brainiac (El Baron del Terror) -- whom I would like to see on TCM:

brainiac6.jpg

Hmm .. The Brainiac looks remarkably like The Giant Claw. Apparently we are now being invaded by large Mexican birds.

Hmm .. The Brainiac looks remarkably like The Giant Claw. Apparently we are now being invaded by large Mexican birds.

I guess Mr. Trump is right -- they even changed that photo on me!

I felt I oughta mention that, from 1984-87, I went to 'Jefferson Davis Middle School' in Palm Springs, FL.  Sometime in the '90s the school had a 'face lift' and was re-named.  (I think it was re-named 'Palm Springs Middle School').       

The original school name was given when it opened in 1962.  

First they came for Gone With The Wind, and I did not speak out -  because I thought the film was overrated.

Then they came for The Beast of Yucca Flats, and George W. Bush spoke out  - "Don't mess with Tor!"

Archived