Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Got Fat

davisdoll

This is a film to which I had access as a new teacher in 1988. We still used projectors and films.

My third grade teaching team would show this every year and last our fool heads off. We also showed Cafeteria Manners that PeeWee Herman brought back on his Playhouse show. Gotta love educational films of the 60s-70s!!

Blackboard Bungle. It has been claimed by some, the lead actor is a young Ken Russell.

I'm amazed you were still using FILM & PROJECTORS in 1988. 10 years earlier, when I was still in high school, our teacher brought in a VHS tape player to show us PSYCHO. That teacher worked for a local TV station, so maybe he was privy to "modern" technology unavailable to the average teacher.

Remember FILMSTRIPS? Wow.

If you are really interested in educational films as I am, many have been transferred to DVD. AVGeeks.com has collected and transferred these rare gems for years and they are readily available through their website. Most are in "found" condition, unrestored-which I love!

I have rows of these DVDs on the shelf ranging from Driver's Ed films to company's new product films to instructing classrooms on handling an atomic attack. The sex ed ones are particularly interesting, especially the ones made by Disney. 

Blackboard Bungle. It has been claimed by some, the lead actor is a young Ken Russell.

I'm amazed you were still using FILM & PROJECTORS in 1988. 10 years earlier, when I was still in high school, our teacher brought in a VHS tape player to show us PSYCHO. That teacher worked for a local TV station, so maybe he was privy to "modern" technology unavailable to the average teacher.

Remember FILMSTRIPS? Wow.

If you are really interested in educational films as I am, many have been transferred to DVD. AVGeeks.com has collected and transferred these rare gems for years and they are readily available through their website. Most are in "found" condition, unrestored-which I love!

I have rows of these DVDs on the shelf ranging from Driver's Ed films to company's new product films to instructing classrooms on handling an atomic attack. The sex ed ones are particularly interesting, especially the ones made by Disney. 

10 years earlier Tiki, would have made it 1978.  The year MY oldest daughter started FIRST GRADE!

ya PUNK!

One thing in that film(which I hapened upon, and not caught it from the start) Iwondered about...WHY were they wearing paper mache MONKEY MASKS?

and....

HOW dumb do ya gotta be to NOT know, while riding on the handlebars, to tell the guy steering, "move to the right(or left, depending)"?

In one segment, the voice over mentions about how riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is "not permitted in her city".

???

In MY town you had to be 12 and OVER to ride your bike in the STREET!

Quaint little film.  So was the Westinghouse film after.  But, the showings WERE out odf sync with my cable box clock!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

TikiSoo, We had vhs but we liked gathering all the third graders in the auditorium for a real movie experience. Big screen and all of that.

Don't try to figure out the whys and why-nots. These kids, I mean apes,  watched their friends being smashed up and still kept ongoing to the picnic. It's just too fun, right?      .........Right.

Ooops...I mis typed. I had meant Kurt Russell, not Ken Russell.

And yes, I was in school in 1978 and this one teacher, who taught "classic film" as an extra class (of COURSE I stayed after school for it!) brought in equipment from the TV station he worked for. (probably illegally "borrowed") This is how we saw movies.

Wish I could thank the guy now, because it sparked my interest in classic film & especially discussion of classic film....as an art form.

VHS was a new thing then and I also had a friend who would bring his player over for "movie parties". High tech!

• Like 1

This is a film to which I had access as a new teacher in 1988. We still used projectors and films.

My third grade teaching team would show this every year and last our fool heads off. We also showed Cafeteria Manners that PeeWee Herman brought back on his Playhouse show. Gotta love educational films of the 60s-70s!!

And for those of us just a little older, how about those educational films made by Uncle Walt and his boys a decade earlier.

Anyone here remember that series of "I'm No Fool" safety films starring Jiminy Cricket that they'd show in elementary classrooms?

(...'cause I can still sing that little ditty Jiminy sang in those films)

• Like 1

"I'm no fool, no siree. I'm gonna live to be ninety-three...."

Dargo, If we are talking Disney educational films, 'Donald Duck in Math Magicland' was great. It really helped me learn some basic geometry as a child in the late 60s early 70s. Watch for it, too.

Dargo, If we are talking Disney educational films, 'Donald Duck in Math Magicland' was great. It really helped me learn some basic geometry as a child in the late 60s early 70s. Watch for it, too.

I've just now found this on YouTube and watched again after many years, davisdoll. I vaguely remembered some of it such as The Golden Triangle and Rectangle concepts, and the billiards demonstration. And of course, now days know the name and recognize that great voice over actor Paul Frees as "the Spirit" who took Donald through his journey of discovery.

(...thanks for mentioning this...I loved watching it again) 

Through "Porky Pig's Advanced Math", I mastered college calculus.

• Like 1

Through "Porky Pig's Advanced Math", I mastered college calculus.

I replayed the insipid tunes of 70's Schoolhouse Rock in my head whenever I edited a story for publication. My favorite; "Lolly lolly lolly get yer adverbs here!" You hear it in old movies all the time, "Don't take it personal." Oh lolly!

But you guys need to see Disney's VD films made during WW2. I was shocked to see one mention infection due to man-to-man contact.

'Donald Duck in Math Magicland' was great. It really helped me learn some basic geometry as a child in the late 60s early 70s. Watch for it, too.

I show that to my college classes on occasion, and they still enjoy it. Another good one is The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics, which won an Oscar for best short subject in the cartoon category.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings