Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Svensoupie?

Sepiatone

Ya ever notice how at the end of each SVENGOOLIE show, there's a knock on the door, and when Sven answers it you never see the guy AT the door, just his HAND waving about as he talks?

How many of you also recall this was a device used by SOUPY SALES for years, since his "Lunch With Soupy" days?

I wonder if at one point, Svengoolie's people, or the guy who plays Sven himSELF ever gave a nod of thanks to Soupy for that?

Sepiatone

Ya ever notice how at the end of each SVENGOOLIE show, there's a knock on the door, and when Sven answers it you never see the guy AT the door, just his HAND waving about as he talks?

How many of you also recall this was a device used by SOUPY SALES for years, since his "Lunch With Soupy" days?

I wonder if at one point, Svengoolie's people, or the guy who plays Sven himSELF ever gave a nod of thanks to Soupy for that?

Sepiatone

them rubber chicken throwers ain't a throwin' hard enough. :lol:

Ya ever notice how at the end of each SVENGOOLIE show

Well I notice they use a sound bite from a famous Bugs Bunny cartoon. It strikes me unlikely WB would grant permission for that, but I could be wrong.

So, I'm guessing neither one of you noticed the SOUPY SALES connection.  Right?

Sepiatone

Yep Sepia, from my very first exposure to Sven, I noticed a lot of shtick "borrowed" from Soupy.

(...and similar to how Letterman "borrowed" a few of his segments from Steve Allen...and similar to how Carson "borrowed" some of HIS routines and skit characters from Jackie Gleason...and similar to how George Schlatter the producer of "Laugh-In" had "borrowed" from Ernie Kovacs...and similar to how..........)

that arm with no body but a voice was an obvious giveaway and soupy came immediately to mind...except sales was funny and svengoolie is not.

I wish me tv would get rid of him and his chicken prop and have the show hosted one week by the commander (USA) and the other week by Elvira, babe of the dark. :)

that arm with no body but a voice was an obvious giveaway and soupy came immediately to mind...except sales was funny and svengoolie is not.

I wish me tv would get rid of him and his chicken prop and have the show hosted one week by the commander (USA) and the other week by Elvira, babe of the dark. :)

Why? He is copying Soupy and White Fang and Black Tooth as an homage to them.

Give the guy a break.

Why? He is copying Soupy and White Fang and Black Tooth as an homage to them.

Give the guy a break.

I doan really mind him paying homage to sales but that dam chicken is funnier then he is...and HE'S the voice of the chicken. :lol:

I don't remember all that much about Commander USA except his greying sideburns and his goofy Superman wanna be costume. I remember the movies were great. It was on his show that I saw The Brainiac

back when he was on usa network he was showing the vampire's coffin with German Robles and Abel Salazar and he made an observation that I had been thinking also...

that Abel Salazar looked like Danny Thomas! :lol:

back when he was on usa network he was showing the vampire's coffin with German Robles and Abel Salazar and he made an observation that I had been thinking also...

that Abel Salazar looked like Danny Thomas! :lol:

Yes, but I understand try as he might, Abel just could never master the fine art of the spit-take.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings