Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Book BEING THERE Concludes With ...

Palmerin

... these two sentences:

Not a thought lifted itself from Chance's brain. Peace filled his chest.

What does this cryptic ending mean? Is Kosinski having a laugh at the expense of all the people who have deceived themselves about CH, even to the point that he is now being seriously considered for the Presidency of the USA precisely because his lack of any background--even a Social Security number--makes him invulnerable to any scandal or embarrassment?

Yes, I have read books that inspired movies, like A Passage to India and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, but I have never read Being There. The movie shows not only how gullible society can be but also how eager we are to welcome a new celebrity. I keep seeing Richard Dysart's face when he realizes the truth, and then when he decides to say nothing.

The title of this thread kept me away, as I've never read "Being There".  I too have read books made into films--"Gone With the Wind" & "The Haunting of Hill House", &"The Shining"being three that come immediately to mind--all three books are just as good as or better than the films based on them, IMHO--plus, in a Disney thread 2--3 weeks ago, I recommended reading the book "Treasure of Matecumbe" by Robert Lewis Taylor, instead of staying up till 4:00 a.m. to watch the movie. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings