Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

UPGRADE - PLEASE READ (from TCM)

cybrspacy, you're absolutely correct. This was a job quickly done on the cheap.

tcmweb (what did you do with tcmprogrammer, resource reduce him in favor of outsourcing to Phnom Penh?), how does one go about finding these emoticons?

You've angered more than a few regulars here. A fix is a poor response to bad design, don't you agree?

Mongo - we've increased the session time to 1 hour for posts. This means if you are typing a post but leave it inactive up to one hour, it will not time out. If for any reason this is not long enough - let us know. Thanks.

TCM web -

TCM--I know you've already addressed this complaint but I CANNOT read this tiny print! I'm having to actually use a magnifiying glass to comprehend what is written. Please make your text LARGER! Thanks. I can't throw my two cents in anymore unless I know what I'm talking about. By the way, I love the new format of the message boards. This is the way it used to be in those good ole days of yore.

Thanks TCMweb for increasing the type size and for also taking care of other complaints regarding the new format.

Now, if only you would reverse the threads to read from the most recent posted as it was before, all will be almost perfect.

Mongo

Hi Mongo -

We are talking to the Message Board software developers to determine if we can make the posting thread order customizeable for everyone - this way, everyone wins - you can select the order you prefer in your Control Panel.

If this cannot be accomplished, we'll reverse the order back to the old boards - most recent post first. This violates standard convention on most internet user boards, but we will make the exception based upon the number of requests we've seen here. Thanks again for everyone's patience.

TCM web staff -

Much, much better. Are you tcmprogrammer? Say hi to him if you're not.

But seriously, is it my machine or does the first screen not highlight the threads with new posts?

Hmmm, or is the orange dot an indication of new threads??:)

Oh, and the emoticons? Where be they? Thanks.

Message was edited by:

stoneyburke

Message was edited by:

stoneyburke

The "Last" feature doesn't work. I have a brand new computer with up-to-date software. Don't bother customizing the message order so we have a choice. Without further delay, please return message order to what they formerly were: Newest to Oldest. Mongo's Happy Birthday threat has nearly 200 pages. I haven't been able to find it since the "upgrade." Please change the display order now: newest to oldest. Thank you.

janus

Thank you TCM Web Staff for increasing the Font Size for us. You've been doing a lot of work to rectify the glitches and major problems (which I truly appreciate)...and the only "major problem" that remains of any big concern to me is that the order that the posts appear goes back to the way it was before your upgrade, or we can select our preference in our Control Panel's. :) ML

Thank you, TCM Web Staff! I'm sure that you've noticed by now that more than a few of us have always been "Friends to TCM", and we will continue to be. I also want to mention that it has been very good to see your replies to those of us who have alerted you to the Technical Problems which confronted us recently. Keep up the good work! :)ML

Thank you! We want everyone to be happy and will work toward making continual changes. If you have a problem with a post or thread, please post in the "Technical Issues" forum - this way we can keep the main forums open to your great posts.

We are working hard on reversing the posting order and will likely have this recompiled by this coming Monday.

Also, we will be working on having the ability for you to adjust the order to your preference in your Control Panel, but this will take a little longer for us to do - it might not be ready until the end of the month.

Finally, for anyone still having problems with emoticons - we've done testing on a number of different machines and browsers and these are working fine. Many users are posting them without issue. If you are still not seeing them, please post some information in the Technical Issues forum regarding your Operating System, Computer (Mac or PC) and your browser, and we will investigate it for you. Thanks again.

TCM web staff -

PS. We are not TCMprogrammer, but we've forwarded your requests on to this person.

I'm new here, and just testing to see if I did the registration correctly. In the old AOL system, I attempted to register - and I guess I did - but whenever I tried to post, the entire screen went blank. So, if this works this time, I'm glad there was an update.

If it don't work, then back to reading and not saying anything. Incidentally, I've been reading the board for over a year and have enjoyed it very much. And whether or not I get lucky and actually registered in the proper manner, I think TCM is the best station available. I sometimes think I'm dreaming when I look over each month's schedule and see how many wonderful films are shown. I have no complaints regarding the programming, and look forward to many years (!) of enjoyment.

It appears that all those who (shall we say) requested that you reverse the post order to the way it used to be around here (opposite the way it is most everywhere else on the Internet) have failed to thank you for doing so. Although I had gotten used to it being the other way these past few days and had no such complaint, let me be the first to thank you for listening to "our" input once again.

I've finally joined back up, and this new format seems fine to me. And I see I missed a few of the glitches in the beginning, and I'm glad I did! It's good to know that the font will be a readable size. I can't imagine how small it was before. Even at my age of 26 I would've had a problem reading it I'm sure. And personally I like seeing the most recent post first, which is the way it always has been on the boards, so I'm glad that stayed the same. And thank you TCM for extending the time we are allowed to post a message. I was timed out a few times before, with some of the lengthy posts I've done, and it's very aggravating. I'm glad we now have an hour! That's more than enough time for everyone I'm sure.

I'd also like to say thanks for being so attentive. I have to say, it's a welcome surprise to see TCM actively posting and responding to us. And thanks for the compliments, there's a great group of people here, and I'm glad to be back.

Greetings, TCM Web Staff! Due to events completely out of my control last week, I wasn't here to see when you restored the order of the posts back to the way it was prior to your upgrade, and I certainly do wish to thank you for doing this. These boards are unique (in comparison to those on other Internet sites) in that we have always had several exceptional people who contribute threads that depend on continuity because they are submitted on a daily, or weekly basis following a given theme that the reader can more easily follow when the last post submitted is the first one seen.

You've done a lot of work in our behalf, and the end result is that we now have a much better site. Thank you for listening to our feedback. It's been a very nice experience for us to be allowed to work with you the past few weeks. ML

Hello and thanks classicfan1119. We're happy people are getting used to the new boards. In hindsight, we made some mistakes in our processes deploying the upgrade, and we cannot thank everyone enough for their patience with us. Rest assured when we go through any changes to the boards in the future, we will give everyone more notice, get more input, and take steps to avoid any further problems.

We still have some work to do (like fixing the "Last Post" link in the threads - this will change to "First Post" so you can view the very firts post), but we're happy people like the changes so far. We'll continue to fix areas on the basis of your requests. If anyone is still having any problems, or would like to suggest an improvement to the TCM Boards, please post in the Technical Issues Forum - we subscribe to the thread, so we get notified immediately when you post there.

And we do scan the boards to see if anyone is having problems - everyone at TCM loves the Boards as much you do - we couldn't agree more - you're a great community :)

Just wanted to again give a heads up (and plug) for some great changes coming to the web site in Nov. We are launching a new Classic Movie Database we think people will be very excited about. In many ways it will be more comprehensive than IMDB on classic films! A great feature is that anyone on the site - and especially people on the TCM Boards - will be able to contribute to any portion of the new Movie Database easily (with the new registration system). We've built it to allow anyone to contribute information easily, and unlike IMDB, you get personal credit for anything you submit. We think you're going to like it and look forward to what you think.

Thanks again for your support of TCM's Boards.

TCM web -

Hi again, TCM Web Staff. The Classic Movie Database sounds real exciting to me, too! It's going to be great to have a good movie database right here where we are all posting, rather than always having to ask or newest members to leave this site and go to IMDb to locate specific movie information. We also have some experienced and very knowledgable folks among us who I'm sure will want to contribute.

And, when you launch this new Database, is this going to mean that the site will be down for a brief time again? If so, please give us an "alert" first. You can't believe what happens in the heads of "users" when they suddenly can't get logged-on (smile).

Good job, guys! It just keeps getting better and better here!

ML