Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Schedule UP * David Niven SOTM

I guess the spotlight is just a horror theme again? I can't determine anything more specific about it.

The selections of Imports will take some looking in to, but The Grim Reaper on the 11th might be of interest, though perhaps misleadingly titled.

Some intriguing silents I haven't seen before coming on the 18th. The Grim Game starring Harry Houdini, a Sherlock Holmes film I've not heard of, and a couple of feature-length Fatty Arbuckle films for Silent Sunday, The Round-Up and Life of The Party.

I didn't think it would happen, but they've scheduled some foreign films on the 27th as part of their tribute to female film-makers. (on both Tuesdays and Thursdays?) Apparently not limited to Hollywood alone. Goodee.

Another Disney day on the 28th. Use your own discretion.

The month ends-out with a collection of David Lynch shorts and Blue Velvet. Uh, yay?

That's what has entered my scope so far. Not overwhelming, but there's something.

• Like 2

I've got nothing either way.

If you mean when you clicked Kay's link, there was nothing listed on the "schedule", it was just a blank October calendar, I got that too. Odd, it said "Canadian Schedule"- but nothing whatsoever listed on it.

How did the link know I was Canadian?  Or maybe Kay's Canadian ? I dunno, I'm thick when it comes to this kind of stuff.

....The month ends-out with a collection of David Lynch shorts and Blue Velvet. Uh, yay? .....

I'd say "yay", without the "Uh". I like David Lynch, and distasteful though I know it is to many, I like Blue Velvet.

• Like 2

If you mean when you clicked Kay's link, there was nothing listed on the "schedule", it was just a blank October calendar, I got that too. Odd, it said "Canadian Schedule"- but nothing whatsoever listed on it.

How did the link know I was Canadian?  Or maybe Kay's Canadian ? I dunno, I'm thick when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Maybe TCM is skipping Canada this October.

:D

The Canadian schedule always lags the American one by at least a couple of weeks.

They have to figure out which gems they are going to deny us.

• Like 1

The schedule appears however you regularly have it set. I was confused for a while because everything was in Pacific Standard time for me, whereas it should have been less confusing. Sorry the link isn't coming up for everyone. Seems like it's never consistent when it's new.

P.S, The 'yay' for David Lynch is mostly confliction-free for me, but I'm not very familiar with him and don't yet know just how much his work repels me. I'm a sensitive leaf of a thing, don't you know.

• Like 1

The 1949 Fall of the House of Usher, which gave me nightmares after I saw it on TV as a child, is still my favorite version of that story. It will be shown on October 23.

Lucy Pavey as "The Hag" is a standout in the cast of this almost experimental-looking film. 

usher_03.jpg

• Like 2

Thoughts on the Oct. schedule--(Your links didn't work Kay, but Thank You for letting everyone know the schedule's up (I went to the schedule page & played with dates & formats till--the schedule popped up when I hit weekly for Oct 1st.)

Thoughts on the schedule--David Niven is fine, but they left out his Dracula--"Old Dracula" (1975).

Seven Hitchcock films, including one rarely seen Ingrid Bergman one--"Under Capricorn" (1949).

Evening of Oct. 30th is All Val Lewton--I'll be up all night :)

Six Christopher Lee films--they could have scheduled more.

Four Horrible musicals--& six fair to excellent ones

June Allyson's birthday tribute is in Oct., along with Elizabeth Taylor.

One overlooked gem--"The Devil's Bride" (1968)--with Christopher Lee.

This looks like an interesting schedule.  I like David Niven, so I'm good with the SOTM choice...

Each Sunday, TCM is showing two episodes of Moguls and Movie Stars documentary.  I enjoyed this documentary the first time around.  I think I missed the last couple segments.

Oct 1

Looks like a Walter Matthau birthday tribute.  It's interesting that none of his films with friend and frequent collaborator Jack Lemmon, were scheduled. 

I'm interested in Onionhead.  It's the only one of Andy Griffth's pre-The Andy Griffith Show movies I haven't seen yet. 

Gangster Story sounds interesting because it was directed by Matthau and also I like 1960s heist films. 

Without Lying Down- Frances Marion and the Powerful Women in Hollywood documentary.  I like documentaries, especially about Hollywood. 

Oct 2

It's a Bob Hope daytime theme.  The only film I'd be interested in during this day would be The Facts of Life only because Lucille Ball is in it.

Oct 5

Wuthering Heights, I've never seen this classic.

Oct 6

The women filmmakers showcase

Oct 8

Looks like Jack Oakie in the morning.  I'll have to record Annabel Takes a Tour with Lucille Ball.  I've seen it before.  It's the sequel to The Affairs of Annabel'Affairs' is better than 'Tour' but I'll watch it anyway.

More women filmmakers, including the 1983 classic, Valley Girl, I love this movie!

Oct 9

The bad sci fi movie showcase.  Including one that sounds super amazing: Hands of a Stranger.

Oct 11

It Should Happen to You, Judy Holliday and Jack Lemmon.  I've seen this before, it was a fun movie and I'd like to see it again.

Oct 13

A Kiss For CorlissA grown up Shirley Temple and I believe this is her first on-screen kiss.

(Side note for the "Kissing" theme, Kathryn Grayson (ick!) sure made a lot of films with variations of "kiss" in the title)

Oct 14

A Clockwork Orange.  I've never seen this movie.  I heard it was really disturbing, but I feel I should attempt to watch it out of curiosity.

Oct 15

East Side, West Side.  I love Barbara Stanwyck and I believe this is the film that was recommended to me on the Ava Gardner thread I started.

Life and Times of Rosie the RiveterDocumentary about women performing factory work during WWII. 

Oct 17

Heavy Metal. My husband wants me to record the TCM Underground selection.  Apparently it is a film based on heavy metal bands' album covers. 

Oct 20

Happy Go Lovely.  I like David Niven and I like Vera-Ellen. 

Happy Anniversary.  I like David Niven and I like Mitzi Gaynor. 

Oct 21

Knights of the Round Table.  It has Ava Gardner and I read about the making of this film in her autobiography. 

La Cage Aux Follies.  Seeing the original version of The Birdcage would be interesting.

Oct 23

The Woman in Red.  Barbara Stanwyck pre-code.  I find her pre-codes so interesting.

Oct 25

The Mad Miss Manton.  A Stanwyck movie I've never heard of starring Henry Fonda.

Oct 28

Disney Vault.  It sounds excellent--especially The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.  I love this movie.  It's actually two separate stories, but it's such a great movie :-)

I'm also excited about both of the 'Witch Mountain' films.  The second one has Bette Davis!

Oct 29

Freaks. I've heard so much about this pre-code but I've never seen it.

The Virgin Suicides.  I've always wanted to see this film.

I'm not a big horror movie fan (I'm more about the bad 50s-60s cheesy sci-fi movies or corny 1970s-1980s slasher movies, like Nightmare on Elm Street) so a lot of the selections I'm not crazy excited about, but it looks like TCM on Halloween night would be fun. 

David Lynch is bizarre, but I've always wanted to see Blue Velvet.  I think it is (or was) on Netflix Instant Streaming. 

Looks like a pretty good month on TCM!

• Like 2

Thoughts on the Oct. schedule--(Your links didn't work Kay, but Thank You for letting everyone know the schedule's up (I went to the schedule page & played with dates & formats till--the schedule popped up when I hit weekly for Oct 1st.)

Thoughts on the schedule--David Niven is fine, but they left out his Dracula--"Old Dracula" (1975).

Seven Hitchcock films, including one rarely seen Ingrid Bergman one--"Under Capricorn" (1949).

Evening of Oct. 30th is All Val Lewton--I'll be up all night :)

Six Christopher Lee films--they could have scheduled more.

Four Horrible musicals--& six fair to excellent ones

June Allyson's birthday tribute is in Oct., along with Elizabeth Taylor.

One overlooked gem--"The Devil's Bride" (1968)--with Christopher Lee.

So no George Sanders.

I was looking forward to him as SOTM.

Thanks, Kay, for posting the schedule.

Here are the links to the weekly schedules:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-10-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-10-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-10-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-10-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2015-10-29

BLUE VELVET is on the schedule for October 31 (actually early November 1).

I hope it doesn't disappear from the schedule this time.

• Like 1

BURNT OFFERINGS with the great Karen Black is scheduled for October 2.

I really hope this one does not get bumped. 

The actual film is not so great.............Bette Davis does have a great scene.

The one I want to see is Dementia-13 (1963)--Early horror film by Francis Ford Coppola, produced by Roger Corman--this one has some great scares in it. :)

it's also in the public domain, so if you miss it you can catch it in full on youtube or any number of bargain box DVDs.I've caught the opening of it, which is pretty atmospheric.

• Like 1

The actual film is not so great.............Bette Davis does have a great scene.

Oh, I disagree. It is a great film. I've been waiting several years for TCM to rebroadcast it. Burgess Meredith is also very good in BURNT OFFERINGS. It's a Dan Curtis production-- and for anyone who knows anything about Dark Shadows, the name Dan Curtis requires no explanation.