Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Schedule UP * David Niven SOTM

The David Niven film that I look forward to seeing the most is PLEASE DON`T EAT THE DAISIES 1960. Based on the best seller by Jean Kerr, the wife of theatre critic Walter Kerr, this comedy is Doris Day`s best family film along with IT HAPPENED TO JANE 1959. In real life Jean and Walter had six children five sons and one daughter. Doris and David have four lively boys in the film. Charles directed comedy well, and I like the chemistry between the two stars. The first half details the family`s crowded life in a NYC apartment building. David is a college professor, but he has changed positions. Now he is a theatre critic with a deadline to make. Doris believes that the family will be happier with a large house in the country. David reluctantly agrees, and the move brings out many challenges. Everybody is happy, but David who misses the big city life. Costarring Spring Byington, Janis Paige, Jack Weston, and Richard Hadyn how matters are resolved is very amusing. This movie has always been a favorite of mine dealing with city versus country living.

The one thing in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" that drives me absolutely bonkers is the baby. I cannot fathom why the filmmakers thought it'd be a good idea to dub in an adult impersonating a baby crying for the baby's cry. Shirley there had to have been a recording of a real baby available somewhere. The cry in the film is so fake and it irritates me each and every time. It reminds me of that swimming pool episode of "The Twilight Zone" where child Mary Badham's voice is dubbed with a horrible adult impersonation of a Southern child's voice. I liked Doris Day and David Niven in 'Daisies' though. They were both fine.

The one thing in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" that drives me absolutely bonkers is the baby. I cannot fathom why the filmmakers thought it'd be a good idea to dub in an adult impersonating a baby crying for the baby's cry. Shirley there had to have been a recording of a real baby available somewhere. The cry in the film is so fake and it irritates me each and every time. It reminds me of that swimming pool episode of "The Twilight Zone" where child Mary Badham's voice is dubbed with a horrible adult impersonation of a Southern child's voice. I liked Doris Day and David Niven in 'Daisies' though. They were both fine.

aA point well taken. The older boys were blond, brunette, and a redhead. While we are discussing voices, thank goodness Richard Hadyn talked normally. He spoke with a annoying voice in BALL OF FIRE 1941, and SITTING PRETTY 1948. Maybe this was a character he played sometimes, but give me with real Richard who spoke in his own voice as the Van Trapp Family manager in THE SOUND OF MUSIC 1965 also.

A certain member of these boards would have titled the film PLEASE DOAN EAT THE DAISIES