Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Schedule UP * David Niven SOTM

omigah! I wish there was a "Sweet Fancy Moses" posting here (If I ever get booted and have to re sign up, that'll be at the top of my list for poster rnames.)

No, "sweet fancy Moses" was an exclamation of surprise on discovering the plot to OLD DRACULA....I believe the first use of the term occured on SEINFELD, when George witnessed Elaine's bad dancing at an office party she took him to.

(it always comes back to SEINFELD.)

Thanks, that made my day.

I am one of those native New Yorkers who eschewed "Seinfeld," hence my ignorance of the expression. 

I don't know much about that wife thing -- there's a lot of gossip on the Internet.  I met Jamie Niven through Vera Fairbanks, Douglas, Jr.'s widow. David Niven and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. were great pals. Douglas was Jamie's godfather.

Probably explains much about why many of your posts are so difficult for other members to relate to.

Thank you for the compliment.  There are certain posts here that I can't relate to. For example, the seemingly endless bitching about certain TCM films not being shown in Canada.

There was a sequel too. Cant remember the title.........

"Bring on the Empty Horses" WAS the sequel. It followed Niven's first best-selling memoir "The Moon's a Balloon," published in 1972. 

• Like 1

"Bring on the Empty Horses" WAS the sequel. It followed Niven's first best-selling memoir "The Moon's a Balloon," published in 1972. 

OK. I knew there were two!

Lorna, who is Sweet Fancy Moses? I thought you were addressing a poster but can't find his/her post.....

Swithin, I believe that "Sweet Fancy Moses" is just one of a number of delightfully colourful expressions our friend Lorna uses. I'm not sure whether Lorna makes them up, or if they're common expressions in his part of the world.

Another deliciously funny and expressive phrase she once used on these boards was "Christ on a Cracker."   Gotta love it.

Edit a few minutes later: Ok, although I usually read all the comments before posting myself, I got carried away and  immediately posted about "Sweet Fancy Moses" before reading all the responses.

Guess Lorna didn't make it up. But she'd be fully capable of it !

• Like 2

Swithin, I believe that "Sweet Fancy Moses" is just one of a number of delightfully colourful expressions our friend Lorna uses. I'm not sure whether Lorna makes them up, or if they're common expressions in his part of the world.

Another deliciously funny and expressive phrase she once used on these boards was "Christ on a Cracker."   Gotta love it.

Edit a few minutes later: Ok, although I usually read all the comments before posting myself, I got carried away and  immediately posted about "Sweet Fancy Moses" before reading all the responses.

MissW, Speaking of delightfully colourful, you better hope Dargo doesn't see that extra "u." It will give him a serious case of the vapours!

• Like 1

Niven was a very loved, very respected actor in the movies, yet I only have seen one movie I really liked him in; A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH.

What movies will they be showing for his spotlight are "must see"?

And I'm another New Yorker that wasn't a Seinfeld follower. I've seen maybe 5 episodes. The charactors seemed to be yelling all the time and while many found the Kramer charactor funny, I found him just too over the top.

I did, however see the episode about "Ithaca's black & white" cookies and the truth of the story is they originated in Utica and known as "half moon" cookies-but they're simply a flat "cake".

http://cnynews.com/happy-birthday-half-moon-cookies-an-upstate-tradition-but-which-side-do-you-eat-first/

Local bakery with half moons in SU colors:

ls.jpg

Niven was a very loved, very respected actor in the movies, yet I only have seen one movie I really liked him in; A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH.

What movies will they be showing for his spotlight are "must see"?

And I'm another New Yorker that wasn't a Seinfeld follower. I've seen maybe 5 episodes. The charactors seemed to be yelling all the time and while many found the Kramer charactor funny, I found him just too over the top.

I did, however see the episode about "Ithaca's black & white" cookies and the truth of the story is they originated in Utica and known as "half moon" cookies-but they're simply a flat "cake".

http://cnynews.com/happy-birthday-half-moon-cookies-an-upstate-tradition-but-which-side-do-you-eat-first/

Local bakery with half moons in SU colors:

ls.jpg

Interesting that you mention that the characters seem to be 'yelling all the time.'  I find that a trait in American comedies in general and especially those that are on television.  Is 'loud' supposed to be funny?

It's something that the British don't seem to do as much.  At least as far as I have observed.

That said, Bristol-born Cary Grant was quite a yeller in his comedies.

Interesting that you mention that the characters seem to be 'yelling all the time.'  I find that a trait in American comedies in general and especially those that are on television.  Is 'loud' supposed to be funny?

NO, WE'RE JUST DEAF FROM FIRING GUNS ALL THE TIME.

HUH?

YEAH, YOU CAN USE IT.

• Like 2

Thank you, but I dunno....while I will claim "Christ on a cracker" as an LHF original, it's entirely possible someone has said it some time before me.

"Sweet Fancy Moses" though is pure genius. I'm not in that realm. Also genius was the term "full body dry-heave" to describe Elaine's dancing in that episode. It's one of the few episodes and quotes I remember from SEINFELD.

PS- the term was totally appropriate though to describe the level of jaw-dropping shock I took at viewing bing images, the wiki entry,  and later the trailer for OLD DRACULA aka OLD DRAC aka VAMPIRA aka WHERE'S MY COCAINE? (1972[?])

The seventies man, the seventies. So utterly grateful I pretty much missed them.

I'm definitely looking forward to BURNT OFFERINGS.

I love Karen Black.

Have you seen it before?

It's the only case I can think of where a pretty mediocre/bad movie rally pulls the **** together at the end and just blows your mind. The ending is just great. Like, if JAWS THE REVENGE had ended with the shark eating everyone except Michael Caine.

Again, the seventies, aren't you pretty much glad you missed them too?

ps- poor Karen Black. her passing was quite sad.

pss- I love Oliver Reed officially since seeing THE DEVILS.

• Like 1

Have you seen it before?

It's the only case I can think of where a pretty mediocre/bad movie rally pulls the **** together at the end and just blows your mind. The ending is just great. Like, if JAWS THE REVENGE had ended with the shark eating everyone except Michael Caine.

If you love Oliver Reed you might enjoy his biography, Evil Spirits by Cliff Goodwin.  It was a fun read.

There is a newer 'family authorized' biography, What Fresh Lunacy Is This? by Robert Sellers too.  I haven't read that one yet.

Thank you, but I dunno....while I will claim "Christ on a cracker" as an LHF original, it's entirely possible someone has said it some time before me.

"Sweet Fancy Moses" though is pure genius. I'm not in that realm. Also genius was the term "full body dry-heave" to describe Elaine's dancing in that episode. It's one of the few episodes and quotes I remember from SEINFELD.

I dunno that it's the only one worth remembering....

puddy-8ball.jpg

"You gotta question?  You ask the 8-ball!"

If you love Oliver Reed you might enjoy his biography, Evil Spirits by Cliff Goodwin.  It was a fun read.

There is a newer 'family authorized' biography, What Fresh Lunacy Is This? by Robert Sellers too.  I haven't read that one yet.

Oliver Reed would be an interesting choice for SOTM. At any rate, Curse of the Werewolf (1961), in which he stars, would have been a great pick for October -- one of the less stodgy Terence Fisher/Hammer horrors.

• Like 2

Oliver Reed would be an interesting choice for SOTM. At any rate, Curse of the Werewolf (1961), in which he stars, would have been a great pick for October -- one of the less stodgy Terence Fisher/Hammer horrors.

I was happily surprised to see Michael Winner's The System (1964) with a young Olie Reed on TCM a few weeks ago.  They dug rather deep for that one.

TikiSoo--There aren't very many "must sees"on the schedule, I'm afraid, IMHO.  Here's my list:

"Bachelor Mother"--(1939)--Niven & Ginger Rogers--Oct. 5th, 9:30 p.m. (All times E.S.T.)

"The Bishop's Wife"--(1947)--Niven, Cary Grant, & Loretta Young--August 27th, 1:45 a.m.

"Around the World in 80 Days"--(1956)--has dated badly, IMO--August 22nd, 6:00 a.m.

"Separate Tables"--(1958)--Won Best Actor for this film--July 29th, 10:00 p.m.

"Tonight's the Night"--(1954)--Underrated comedy--Oct, 20th, 1:00 p.m.

"The Guns of Navarone"--(1961)--war film, in case you don't like them--Oct. 26th, 8:00 p.m.

Best of the Oct. only bunch is Bachelor Mother (1939) & Tonight's the Night (1954)--

Separate Tables really is a must see.

Don't know what TCM is thinking, scheduling all these films just before October?

TikiSoo--There aren't very many "must sees"on the schedule, I'm afraid, IMHO.  Here's my list:

"Bachelor Mother"--(1939)--Niven & Ginger Rogers--Oct. 5th, 9:30 p.m. (All times E.S.T.)

"The Bishop's Wife"--(1947)--Niven, Cary Grant, & Loretta Young--being shown in August?

"Around the World in 80 Days"--(1956)--has dated badly, IMO--being shown in August??

"Separate Tables"--(1958)--Won Best Actor for this film--July 29th, 10:00 p.m.

"Tonight's the Night"--(1954)--Underrated comedy--Oct, 20th, 1:00 p.m.

"The Guns of Navarone"--(1961)--war film, in case you don't like them--Oct. 26th, 8:00 p.m.

Best of the Oct. only bunch is Bachelor Mother (1939) & Tonight's the Night (1954)--

Separate Tables really is a must see.

Don't know what TCM is thinking, scheduling all these films just before October?

SEPARATE TABLES really is a must-see. Niven's Best Actor Oscar may have been for the least screen time of any Best Actor winner. But Kerr, Lancaster, Hayworth, and Hiller were also great.

• Like 1

Have you seen it before?

I have not seen BURNT OFFERINGS but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I have a fondness for 1970s movies and TV shows but I guess I am glad that I didn't live in that time.