Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so there is no way...

NipkowDisc

They did nothing to 2001's print, other than project it.  In Cinerama theaters, the screen was curved.  In fact, I seem to recall many instances of really poor results, because of the placement of the projector, being too high for the Cinerama screen.  I saw it in Philadelphia's Cinerama theater, The Boyd.  I hated the film, and was completely unimpressed with it's claim of "Cinerama" (which, by that point, we referred to as "fake Cinerama".)  It, in no way, was the equal of Cinerama.  The film seemed to fare better in regular, flat 70MM projections, as I recall.

to smilebox 2001 or ice station zebra? well then how was Cinerama-izing them in theaters accomplished?

was there a projector that ran the film behind some fancy a ss lenses or what? :huh:

Original 3-strip Cinerama required three 70mm  projectors running In sync in very exact positions and in perfect alignment with the center hight of the screen. Usually three small seperate projection booths had to be consructed in the auditotium of the theater because the regular booth was too high and would project the picture at too steep an angle. Any variance to the strict projection requirements , by even a degree or two, could cause numerous technical problems with the projected image.

Most people never really experienced true Cinerama. By the time films like HOW THE WEST WAS WON got to regular theatres they had been converted to standard 35mm prints  which usually looked terrible. The seams where the three seperate films joined were very noticable and often the two side sections would be out of focus while the center was razor sharp. Most of the time it was impossible for the projectionist keep the entire picture in focus.

Later films released under the Cinerama trademark, like 2001 and ICE STATION ZEBRA were nothing more than 70mm films that were projected on Cinerama screens  and as our friend Johnm001 pointed out were often referred to as "fake Cinerama".

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings