Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fossil Fuel Fraud

darkblue

I fervently disagree. the mainstreaming of homosexuality if anything is a byproduct of an obsessive fixation on narcissistic individuality once formally known as situational ethics now consolidated under the banner of moral relativism which can simply be couched as "if it feels good, do it." the problem? it's a recipe for moral and ethical self-destruction. enlightened self-interest is not an unwarranted degree of individualism. it is simply the way of the world. take the Hispanic vote. why do they vote democrat? because they perceive it to be in their own self-interest to vote democrat and I say let them. that is their prerogative as free human beings to vote in their own self-interest. who's to say that they shouldn't? know-it-all bureaucrats?

in other words, how could the acceptance of gay marriage be for the collective good of anybody? judeo-christian moral boundaries have shaped western civilization for the past 500 years. I suppose the mainstreaming of bestiality or pedophilia would not be narcissistic expressions of individualism? and when you allude to everyone doing their own little bit, I would ask by who's definition of a little bit and according to who's criteria? the god-fearing or the godless?

the founding fathers...oh, excuse me, I mean the framers were not total pluralists. they did have religious awareness and undoubtedly it was a judeo-christian one. and yet today we're all suppose to accept, without question, that the percentage of the country that still believes in judeo-christian morality and still tries to live within it's parameters is now completely irrelevant, because the popular culture aided and abetted by the 24/7 cable news outlets, says so?

hey, if it was that cut and dried the democrats would still be in control of the senate. :)

I'm just happy you're on the side of the losers.    :P

I'm just happy you're on the side of the losers.    :P

and they are losers because they are still trying (stupidly in my view) to play by the rules with a bunch that has thrown the rules out the window. I agree, they are losers.

there is no fraud in fossil fuel. that black stuff is still good or else why are Russia and some of the Nordic countries planning oil exploration up in the arctic?

they haven't written off black gold so should we?

why do the Russians have 27 icebreakers and we only have two?

while constantly being told to think renewable energy, many are planning to grab oil in the arctic regions.

our current attitude is stupid, negligent and an abdication of the long-range interests of the american people. :)

there is no fraud in fossil fuel. that black stuff is still good or else why are Russia and some of the Nordic countries planning oil exploration up in the arctic?

they haven't written off black gold so should we?

while constantly being told to think renewable energy, many are planning to grab oil in the arctic regions.

our current attitude is stupid, negligent and an abdication of the long-range interests of the american people. :)

Russia is leading the way toward gas hydrate research and development. Dr. Yuri Makogon discovered this resource.

http://www.makogon.com/

The bulk of it is under the oceans.

screen%20shot%202013-02-11%20at%203_53_2

Burning-ice.jpg

1880602.jpg

hydrate.gif

the current potus and his administration oughta provide a free one of those to every driving-able person in America and send the bill to the EPA as a special dispensation in the planet's interest...

SAVE THE PLANET!

:) 

Stupid.  Only Congress (Republicans) could actually do that and the cost would bankrupt the country.

The technology to conduct fracking for natural gas & oil is state of the art and has provided a renaissance for the American oil and gas industry producing good-paying jobs with excellent benefits that provide a tax base for the States where it exists so they can have better revenues that will benefit all the citizens. The country as a whole can almost become energy independent, yep I said that, and shed its dependence on the Middle East and other unsavory regimes with the ever increasing technology. If we expand our shale and offshore production, maybe a new President will help us do that, we then can tell our Canadian friends to keep their oil and sell it to someone else.

Jake in the Heartland

Ah, been drinking the Kool-Aid.  May be state of the art, but still damaging the envrironment above and below ground.  The rail and other transportation components are nowhere near state of the art and very dangerous to people, communities and the environment, but very, very profitable for the very, very rich already.

Because they have ports and rivers that FREEZE every year and we don't, except for the Great Lakes.  They need 27, we don't.

You all just prove my point: the Average American thinks only of themselves individually and not the good of others or even the entire planet.

It's one of the reasons we're in this situation.

I grew up in the 60's where the idea was "if everyone did their one little bit, we could improve our situation." This idea certainly worked for the Civil Rights movement, handicapped accessibility and now for acceptance of gays in society.

Somewhere along the way, the tide has turned back to individualism & entitlement.

The "crying Indian" PSA for littering made a HUGE impact on Americans in the 70's. 

Your belief is commendable, but I grew up in the 60's also.  A few very aggressive people and organizations worked for improvements in civil rights, accessibility and so forth.  But we are a long way from where we need to be in those areas.

America has always been for individualism, entitlement and me first.  It is what led to creation of the greatest consumer oriented society in history.  By entitlement, I am speaking not of those who think the government owes them something, but those who think they are entitled to own what they want now and to have the toys they want.  And on credit!

I have some DVD's of car ads from the 50's-70's.  While performance was always a part, the bulk of the ads was about the conveniences, comfort, styling, etc. of the cars primarily.

Now all the ads on TV are for how fast they will go and how quickly they will get there.  Not to mention spinning around in circles, drifting, etc.  Everyone should be able to get to 60 MPH in 4 ****. and drive at 80-100 MPH, speed limits and safety be damned.

Did the crying Indian really make a big difference?  Maybe, but country seems just as trashy to me now as it did then.  Just different kinds of trash.

Ah, been drinking the Kool-Aid.  May be state of the art, but still damaging the envrironment above and below ground.  The rail and other transportation components are nowhere near state of the art and very dangerous to people, communities and the environment, but very, very profitable for the very, very rich already.

I don't drink Kool-Aid but I will have a shot of Jack Daniels every now and then. I live in an energy city in the great state of Texas and have seen the kind of job creation the industry creates. Good paying jobs with great benefits. Fracking has been around for decades and does safely produce clean natural gas which our nation has an abundance of. My father worked for one of the largest oil companies in the world. Those big bad rich guys got richer but also produced a lot of good jobs for ordinary folks like my dad while providing this nation with the much needed energy resources it needs. What's your favorite Kool-Aid drink?

I don't drink Kool-Aid but I will have a shot of Jack Daniels every now and then. I live in an energy city in the great state of Texas and have seen the kind of job creation the industry creates. Good paying jobs with great benefits. Fracking has been around for decades and does produce clean natural gas which our nation has an abundance of safely. My father worked for one of the largest oil companies in the world. Those big bad rich guys got richer but also produced a lot of good jobs and security for ordinary folks like my dad while providing this nation with the much needed energy resources it needs. What's your favorite Kool-Aid drink?

Ah, definitely an objective source.

I assume you understand the reference to Jim Jones and Kool-Aid?

Ah, definitely an objective source.

I assume you understand the reference to Jim Jones and Kool-Aid?

You betcha it's objective because I have seen it in action. I told you earlier I don't drink Kool-Aid.

Fossil fuels  are  DIRTY, always have been   and always will be.  Extracting it from the earth, then transporting it and  then burning it poisons the planet.  The oil and coal barons put their own greed for wealth above the best interests of the general public.  We have fought wars  because  of oil being in our "national interest" . In my "great" state of Pennsylvania we are still dealing with the scars of several centuries of mining coal.  Yeah, it provided jobs, but at what cost to the public health and the long term damage to the environment?  Clean, renewable energy development will provide good jobs too, it just won't put more dough in the Koch brothers' pockets. What about that little explosion in Texas City years ago?  Right now "fracking"  is the latest solution. Many people in my state where they are fracking are unable to get clean, potable drinking water . This crap is contaminating the ground water , getting into the streams and rivers. Most of Pennsylvania drains into the Chesapeake Bay, wait until that starts showing up down there.  Jake, I wish you and yours good health living down there surrounded by the energy and chemical industries.  I would never want to live and raise a family in such a place.  And finally, I am really sick of hearing about the "great" state of Texas. I have traveled through a couple of times, it ain't any better than a lot of other places I've been. And the recent track record of the people electing some of the lamest politicians to represent them isn't anything to brag about.

Now people are starting to get upset over wind farms.  Where EXACTLY do everyone expects the electricity to come from when the light switch is turned on....Thin air?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/9644558/Death-knell-for-wind-farms-Enough-is-Enough-says-minister.html

There is one solution that will end the energy woes.  (Note: It does take electricity to watch TCM.)

big-amish-family.jpg

Jake, I wish you and yours good health living down there surrounded by the energy and chemical industries.  I would never want to live and raise a family in such a place.  And finally, I am really sick of hearing about the "great" state of Texas. I have traveled through a couple of times, it ain't any better than a lot of other places I've been. And the recent track record of the people electing some of the lamest politicians to represent them isn't anything to brag about.

You have made some broad assumptions, Capt. I live in North Houston in an area that is kind of rural with some beautiful homes and farms nestled in between them here and there. This morning I went about 3 miles to my favorite 60 acre lake and caught three nice Largemouth bass. Clean air and good living. With great schools and other amenities. You frankly don't know what you're talking about.

I've read many folks in Penn. like fracking and the jobs they now have. Beats workin' for 9 bucks an hour.

The great state of Texas has many who are pullin' for Sen. Ted Cruz to be  your next President. And, too, I never got a job from a poor man. Your class envy stuff on this board is getting old.

http://www.pennsylvaniafracking.com/

http://www.energyfromshale.org/

Have a great evening.

Funny you showed that picture, ham. I spent 4th of July camping out on my friend's farm on top of a hill in CNY. I was thrilled to find we were surrounded by huge turbines. They are big, beautiful, graceful and mesmerizing to watch.

duskturbines.jpg

Sunday morning, there was a string of Amish buggies traveling up that road on their way to church. Wish I got to my camera in time for a picture, but missed it. Interesting those who do not even use electricity benefit by leasing their land -their most precious resource- for electric generation.

I much prefer the idea of clean wind & hydro electric generation than "dirty" fuels as you said, MrRoberts. Another key word is "infinite", whereas oil is definitely "finite". The world's oil is "past peak" and extraction and transportation is undeniably dangerous as was stated earlier.

It is very obvious who thinks "small" and "individually" and those who think "long term" and "globally". And to justify the argument by saying "everyone else is doing it" by blaming others is just, well irresponsible.

Now people are starting to get upset over wind farms.  Where EXACTLY do everyone expects the electricity to come from when the light switch is turned on....Thin air?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/9644558/Death-knell-for-wind-farms-Enough-is-Enough-says-minister.html

There is one solution that will end the energy woes.  (Note: It does take electricity to watch TCM.)

big-amish-family.jpg

On another note: I often have Mennonite customers as a cashier in a farm store. They are almost the ONLY people who hand me money politely, rather than throw it at me as if I'm a stripper, like most farmers do. 

You have made some broad assumptions, Capt. I live in North Houston in an area that is kind of rural with some beautiful homes and farms nestled in between them here and there. This morning I went about 3 miles to my favorite 60 acre lake and caught three nice Largemouth bass. Clean air and good living. With great schools and other amenities. You frankly don't know what you're talking about.

I've read many folks in Penn. like fracking and the jobs they now have. Beats workin' for 9 bucks an hour.

The great state of Texas has many who are pullin' for Sen. Ted Cruz to be  your next President. And, too, I never got a job from a poor man. Your class envy stuff on this board is getting old.

http://www.pennsylvaniafracking.com/

http://www.energyfromshale.org/

Have a great evening.

Jake, most people welcome getting any kind of job that pays, especially when there are few alternatives.  Unfortunately those jobs may have bad consequences for their living environment.  As for that old argument about "class envy" and "class warfare" it is a sick society when a handful of people have as much wealth as tens (even hundreds)  of  millions of others. Of course, they are worth their great wealth, they earned it all , right?  And it really stinks when those very wealthy few use their wealth to buy the political leaders of our  country.  Ted Cruz will have no trouble getting bankrolled by a wealthy few I'm sure.  When big oil decides to drill/frack near your pristine lake, let me know how that turns out. 

we've never had more than two??? :huh:

Not sure, but about 30 years ago a friend of mine was in the Coast Guard and served on one.  Its duty station was in the Arctic.

Fossil fuels are DIRTY, always have been and always will be. Extracting it from the earth, then transporting it and then burning it poisons the planet. The oil and coal barons put their own greed for wealth above the best interests of the general public. We have fought wars because of oil being in our "national interest" . In my "great" state of Pennsylvania we are still dealing with the scars of several centuries of mining coal. Yeah, it provided jobs, but at what cost to the public health and the long term damage to the environment? Clean, renewable energy development will provide good jobs too, it just won't put more dough in the Koch brothers' pockets. What about that little explosion in Texas City years ago? Right now "fracking" is the latest solution. Many people in my state where they are fracking are unable to get clean, potable drinking water . This crap is contaminating the ground water , getting into the streams and rivers. Most of Pennsylvania drains into the Chesapeake Bay, wait until that starts showing up down there. Jake, I wish you and yours good health living down there surrounded by the energy and chemical industries. I would never want to live and raise a family in such a place. And finally, I am really sick of hearing about the "great" state of Texas. I have traveled through a couple of times, it ain't any better than a lot of other places I've been. And the recent track record of the people electing some of the lamest politicians to represent them isn't anything to brag about.

Hi mrroberts,

Since you are a fellow Pennsylvanian, I was curious if you've ever heard of the Centralia mine fire? It started in 1962. A coal fire that has been burning at depths of 300ft over an 8 mile stretch of 3,700 acres. It's expected to burn for the next 250 years. As of 2013 there were only 7 people remaining. Population in 1890 was 2,761. A small town but is now an eerie place. It's 2 counties over from me. At the heart of the fire, temps easily exceeded 1000 degrees. Lethal clouds of carbon monoxide come through the rock. There are several ideas as to how the fire started, nothing conclusive. If I knew how I would post photos of whats left.

It is also said this county-Columbia was a hotbed of activities for The Molly Maguires, which is another fascinating Pa. story as well.

In our town we have no fracking, although a factory builds new train cars for the gas. I'm told these guys only make half of what the previous welders did at the plant.

I've also heard some of the gas companies shut down because they can't compete with the low oil price.

Good paying jobs are necessary but not if it ruins our mountains and rivers, well waters. There must be better, cleaner ways to supply our energy needs and create good jobs. Or free energy for all, like Nikola Tesla was working on.

I've been to Centralia a couple of times.

Only time I've ever seen a black bear in the wilderness was running across that road in photo 3. 

It's weird being there in winter, the ground steams and there are only pockets of snow. All that "energy" being burned away for no one.

See photo 4, the side of the house with vertical brick supports? Typical of the area row houses have been demolished leaving a single standing dwelling needing supports where the next house in the row used to be. It's very strange to walk along the sidewalk and see walkways & driveways that go nowhere. Nearby Mt Carmel alludes to Centralia in it's heyday.

PA is one of the worst states for EPA regulation, not to mention the crazy illogical roads. Too bad because I think it's the most historically interesting, moderate climate and scenically beautiful than any other state in the US.

Archived