Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fossil Fuel Fraud

darkblue

I can just see everyone waking up and cleaning the snow off the solar panels to get electricity.

26winter.600.jpg

And the constant cleaning.

solar-panel-cleaning-OM.gif

pics-solar-panel-cleaning.jpg

plus replacing them after a hail storm. Ouch..,.the $ saved went down the drain.

j11uzn.jpg

And the constant cleaning.

solar-panel-cleaning-OM.gif

pics-solar-panel-cleaning.jpg

plus replacing them after a hail storm. Ouch..,.the $ saved went down the drain.

j11uzn.jpg

Now now, let's not bicker over details, lol. Let's leave it up to those that have it installed to find out all the little problems they never though of.

If someone can ever get the problem with fusion worked out.  Long term magnetic confinement , how to get the fuel in and energy out with the POWERFUL confinement field in place.

tokamak.jpg

1413458769593_wps_28_Fusion_Reactor_Imag

So far it's only been an expensive, brief light show in tokamaks :angry:

TE_start_plasma.jpg

Shiva type implosion reactors are impractical.

Shiva_laser_target_chamber.jpg

Remember the "big door" scene in "Tron" (1982)?  It leads directly  to the "bottle" -  part of an experimental fusion reactor at Lawrence Livermore.  That containment field I previously mentioned almost tore it off it's hinges, no kidding.  It's so powerful, a stack of cars 300 high can be lifted 50 feet off the ground!

Tron3.jpg

do you mean cold fusion? :huh:

Wind farms are killing birds and other wild life? I don't doubt that is true to an extent. But millions?  If we go to a wind farm we will see the ground littered with dead birds every day?  That's ridiculous . Oil spills in the ocean and on land kill a lot more wildlife and do it on a long term basis.  The land in Alberta Canada is being ravaged with the tar sands excavations destroying the habitation for all wildlife not to mention human life. How are things down in the Gulf Of Mexico after the BP spill? Everything A OK?  Look, we all want/need energy to sustain our human life style. ( although from the stand point of all other life on the planet it would be great if humans were extinct).  We have to learn to coexist with nature and the environment.  There are proven ways that we can minimize the impact we have on the planet.  We can enjoy a good quality of life without being greedy and over exploitive.  Its about setting the right priorities, what is really  important and preserving the planet for the future generations.  We aren't going to end our dependence on fossil fuels overnight but we can, and should, do what we can to lessen that  dependence. Encouraging the development  of alternative sources of energy production that are sustainable and have minimal impact on the environment is the way to go.  

Encouraging the development  of alternative sources of energy production that are sustainable and have minimal impact on the environment is the way to go.  

We need to develop alternative sources, but we need to consider the negatives of each.  Hopefully we are better at that than we were when we jumped on the fossil fuel, nuclear and other sources bandwagon.

Meanwhile, we need to improve the efficiency and cleanliness of fossil fuel users, including coal.  It is what we will have for a long time.

It will require government to step in and pass and enforce regulations.  Let's be realistic, no auto manufacturer, industrial plant, agri-business, small farmer, whatever would have taken the steps to improve efficiency, cleanliness or safety if the governments had not required it.  Unfortunate fact of life.

Not gonna happen as long as you people keep electing Republicans in the numbers that you do.

HEY!  Don't look at ME!

The last republican I voted for was former Michigan governor BILL MILLIKEN some 30 or so years ago.  I WOULD have voted for the 2000 version of John McCain, but by his second try in '08, he'd changed so much that it wasn't possible.

Back in the '70's somewhere, there was a guy named McCloskey running in the primaries from the republican camp.  Other republicans went with someone else(so many years that I can't remember if it was Ford or Reagan).  Now HIM I also liked.

Just turned out the democrat candidates looked better to me.  I really don't let the party dictate my choice.

But I get your point, Dark.  And I agree.  The only way TOO many of these voters will ever learn is after TOO MANY of us pay TOO MUCH for their choices.  By then, it's TOO LATE!

Sepiatone

Wind farms are killing birds and other wild life? I don't doubt that is true to an extent. But millions?  If we go to a wind farm we will see the ground littered with dead birds every day?  That's ridiculous . Oil spills in the ocean and on land kill a lot more wildlife and do it on a long term basis.  The land in Alberta Canada is being ravaged with the tar sands excavations destroying the habitation for all wildlife not to mention human life. How are things down in the Gulf Of Mexico after the BP spill? Everything A OK?  Look, we all want/need energy to sustain our human life style. ( although from the stand point of all other life on the planet it would be great if humans were extinct).  We have to learn to coexist with nature and the environment.  There are proven ways that we can minimize the impact we have on the planet.  We can enjoy a good quality of life without being greedy and over exploitive.  Its about setting the right priorities, what is really  important and preserving the planet for the future generations.  We aren't going to end our dependence on fossil fuels overnight but we can, and should, do what we can to lessen that  dependence. Encouraging the development  of alternative sources of energy production that are sustainable and have minimal impact on the environment is the way to go.  

liberals hurt themselves on these environmental / energy issues by being so irrational. a couple of years ago some firefighters burned to death in a ring of fire because the responsible parties were too afraid to access nearby water...because of a bleeping fish! so they burned! no rational person is going to buy into so willingly killing people for the sake of wildlife. a single human life is more important than all the snail darters extant so being nutso on environmental issues is what hurts the left with most sane human beings...

and these were brave selfless firefighters who did not deserve to burn because some a-wholes couldn't decide between them and a fish. stupid.

destruction of the environment by oil is one thing, condemning people to death by fire for the sake of a fish is quite another. :)

liberals hurt themselves on these environmental / energy issues by being so irrational. a couple of years ago some firefighters burned to death in a ring of fire because the responsible parties were too afraid to access nearby water...because of a bleeping fish! so they burned! no rational person is going to buy into so willingly killing people for the sake of wildlife. a single human life is more important than all the snail darters extant so being nutso on environmental issues is what hurts the left with most sane human beings...

and these were brave selfless firefighters who did not deserve to burn because some a-wholes couldn't decide between them and a fish. stupid.

destruction of the environment by oil is one thing, condemning people to death by fire for the sake of a fish is quite another. :)

and personally I think wind farms are nice, very picturesque offshore they be but can they really replace the electric dynamo-based power plant infrasctructure built throughout most the 20th century??? whatta we suppose to do if the left is wrong? permanently camp-out? :)

The problem is BOTH camps don't know how to reach a balance between what's good for the environment and jobs - the creation and security, that is.  There are so much regulation now, it's hurting the very people they are wanting to help - especially the poor / low income whom cannot afford the high cost of energy and water. Plus many are on the unemployment line .i.e. coal miners because the mines are forced to shut because of the over burden regulations and policies. 

We now do have a beautiful West Virginia  country side but many have pulled up stake and left.  The rest who stayed are enjoying the scenery on an empty stomach or by government assistance. (welfare)

HR_Solutions_Layoff.jpg

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have....Thomas Jefferson.

You must have heard this "story" on Fox news or some right wing "rush" type of radio, am I right?

You must have heard this "story" on Fox news or some right wing "rush" type of radio, am I right?

no, it was reported throughout all the mainstream media outlets. I myself heard it on nbc nightly news. I doan listen to Rush. too soft and not focused. Mark Levin has made alotta sense and now Donald Trump. :)

Is this the story?

http://capitolcommentary.com/2009/04/06/save-the-fish-not-the-firefighters/

Not that it'll change anyone's mind, but the delayed water drop was only one in a whole series of mistakes that led to the deaths in the Thirty Mile Fire:

"... the firefighters proceeded to break most all of the Forest Service's cardinal 10 Standard Fire Orders, failing to do everything from posting lookouts to identifying escape routes. Trapped when the fire began burning across the only road out of the area, the crew was not prepared for the suddenness with which it arrived," the Forest Service's accident report states. "A rain of burning embers was followed by a rolling wave of heat, fire ,smoke, and wind." As the crew members frantically tried to deploy their portable fire shelters, the fire overtook Karen FitzPatrick, 18; Jessica Johnson, 19; Devin Weaver, 21, and squad boss Tom Craven, 30 — asphyxiating them in heat so intense that it transformed a pickup truck into a pile of molten aluminum."[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Mile_Fire

http://johnmacleanbooks.com/thirtymile/

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/lessons/documents/Thirtymile_Reports/Thirtymile-Final-Report-2.pdf

Ethanol.  Just to stir things up.  Heard that EPA might actually lower the up to 10% requirement and not push the 15% requirement at all.  Maybe.

Of course, the Iowa caucases, ethanol industry, rail and truck transportation industry, agribusiness, lobbyists, etc. will fight it tooth and nail.

Not that it'll change anyone's mind, but the delayed water drop was only one in a whole series of mistakes that led to the deaths in the Thirty Mile Fire:

"... the firefighters proceeded to break most all of the Forest Service's cardinal 10 Standard Fire Orders, failing to do everything from posting lookouts to identifying escape routes. Trapped when the fire began burning across the only road out of the area, the crew was not prepared for the suddenness with which it arrived," the Forest Service's accident report states. "A rain of burning embers was followed by a rolling wave of heat, fire ,smoke, and wind." As the crew members frantically tried to deploy their portable fire shelters, the fire overtook Karen FitzPatrick, 18; Jessica Johnson, 19; Devin Weaver, 21, and squad boss Tom Craven, 30 — asphyxiating them in heat so intense that it transformed a pickup truck into a pile of molten aluminum."[4]

Please stop making things so complex.  Life is so much simpler when one can blame all of life's negative turns on either liberals or conservatives.      ;)

Capitol Commentary??

People seriously read that rag? God help us.

I was attempting to find out what the story was or did it happened more than once.  I didn't analyze  the website itself, that's what came up on Google search.

I was attempting to find out what the story was or did it happened more than once.  I didn't analyze  the website itself, that's what came up on Google search.

I understand - and understood that you'd looked it up online. Presumed so anyway.

My comment was more about what Nip reads. If he's reading Conservative nonsense sites like that one, it explains a great deal about the unbalanced world view he seems to exhibit in these forums.

I understand - and understood that you'd looked it up online. Presumed so anyway.

My comment was more about what Nip reads. If he's reading Conservative nonsense sites like that one, it explains a great deal about the unbalanced world view he seems to exhibit in these forums.

I be always trying to see the other guy's view and yes, choosing fish over people is unbalanced. I doan visit or read conservative sites at all. my conservative views were formed when I was younger...

the left wants to make the argument we gotta preserve the earth and not damage the planet then they gotta build a wide public consensus is all. oil? I'd be all for forgetting about fossil fuel if everyone else was...but that is not the case. hey, maybe we oughta put the hit on isis and confiscate their oil. get a hold of nitti and mcgurn. :D

I live close to a terminal for a major Texas-Northeast pipeline.  Today's paper reported on the most recent spill a few months ago.  Over 250,000 gals. of gasoline were leaked into the groundwater and top soil.  No end date of monitoring and clean up is predicted.  Over 500,000 gals. of groundwater mixed with gasoline has been removed and sent for separation and disposal.  No report on topsoil removed.  Fortunately it has not gotten (by report) into the local creeks and rivers.

A few years ago another pipeline crossing a nearby river burst.  This river provides drinking water for tens of thousands, maybe more.

Another company wants to build a new pipeline from here to Augusta GA.

They are necessary, but the key is they need to be super-safe and operators and users need to be held responsible for future damages.

They need to post up-front surety bonds for billions of dollars for potential damages.  Same for railroads and trucking companies.

And yes, I know this cost will be passed on to consumers.

• 3 weeks later...

"They are necessary, but the key is they need to be super-safe..."

sorry, don't believe they are 'necessary' (except to oil companies) and will NEVER be 'super-safe'

:(

Only alternative is to transport the petroleum products by tank trucks or railroad tank cars.  Those alternatives are far more dangerous to safety and the environment and would increase costs tremendously.

Whether we like it or not, petroleum is a basis for modern society.  Bet you typed your response on something with a plastic case and plastic screen (petroleum products).  And you watch TCM on something with a plastic case and components.

Archived