Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MyMoll

Bring back Darkness after Dawn TCM!!

One of the ways I found out about film noir was every week TCM would show noirs on Darkness After Dawn. With this class having over 20,000 participating and the number of noirs out there from 1941-1959, it would great if TCM brought back a time slot each week that showed 1-2 noirs each week, in particular the lost noirs that no one knows about- like the b-noirs, columbia noirs, and 20th century fox noirs.

• Like 12

One of the ways I found out about film noir was every week TCM would show noirs on Darkness After Dawn. With this class having over 20,000 participating and the number of noirs out there from 1941-1959, it would great if TCM brought back a time slot each week that showed 1-2 noirs each week, in particular the lost noirs that no one knows about- like the b-noirs, columbia noirs, and 20th century fox noirs.

I would like this as well.  Since the beginning of this course, I've watched more films noir in the last few weeks than I've probably watched in the last five years!!  Now that I've learned about this class of films, I'd love to see more of the films that I've never watched before.  I would also love more on line courses on the topic.  Maybe the focus could be on specific directors: the films of Fritz Lang and  Alfred Hitchcock, etc.; and subjects like noir horror/sci fi films.   I'm thinking of the silent films The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu. And I just watched the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers this afternoon and also recently saw the original The Day the Earth Stood Still.  This would be so interesting!!

• Like 7

I think its a wonderful idea. How do we (us students) get the message to TCM?  

I'm all for it. 

• Like 2

The link you provide is correct.  But when I click on link the site would not open.

I copied and paste in the address bar and it got me there.

I hope this helps anyone who wishes to send a word to TCM.

Many years ago there was a discussion panel on TCM called THE LADIES IN FILM NOIR. I think that it was moderated by Scott Glenn. Marie Windsor, Audrey Totter, and Jane Greer were included. The panel could have included other femme fatales, but my memory fails me. Maybe someone else will remember this look into film noir from the ladies point of view.

Subscribing to Now Playing Guide helps to know in advance when film Noir movies are going to be playing (assuming not preempted for a memorial).  For me, this is much easier than navigating through the TCM.com listings.  The Guide also has a brief description of each movie.

When I get it, I go through and highlight movies I want to see or record.

FXM shows old movies from 3AM till 3PM ET as a general rule.  Many are Film Noir or similar and seldom have commercials.

Some of the newer "broadcast" channels, TVmovies, this, MeTV, etc. show some noirs, but with commercials.

• Like 1

This is a great idea.  I'm told that people would jeer and throw things at the screen when the Columbia logo came up in the theater.  Still, they did have Rita Hayworth  !!!

• Like 2

This is a great idea.  I'm told that people would jeer and throw things at the screen when the Columbia logo came up in the theater.  Still, they did have Rita Hayworth  !!!

Rita????    Columbia's actual noir gal was Gloria Grahame (with Glen Ford being their primary noir actor).

i like this idea, i think it's fantastic. however i wonder where a decision like this will lead.

i'm certain fans of westerns, war movies, horror, musicals, etc. are all going to want a time slot

and not everyone will be happy with the time slots their favorites get

if I remember right they showed they movies at dawn saturday mornings around 6am, i had to dvr them..

wait let me see if google tells the time slot...

no i was wrong i, googled it - it came on sundays on 10am

plus i think fans of other genres wouldnt want their own slot because they would too busy watching all those good film noirs  :D

old link i found 

http://cgi.tcm.turner.com/FRANCHISES/darkness/

a.gifdarkness.gif
The sun rises on the naked city. Sunday mornings are far from peaceful on TCM with Darkness After Dawn, a weekly festival of film noir and movie mysteries every Sunday at 10 am eastern. You might shadow celluloid sleuths like Sam Spade, Miss Marple or Nick and Nora Charles, or you might find yourself enveloped in the thick fog of deceit and treachery that seems to follow men like Humphrey Bogart and Robert Ryan. Only one thing is certain: things are never what they seem during Darkness After Dawn, Sundays at 10 a.m. on Turner Classic Movies.

i like this idea, i think it's fantastic. however i wonder where a decision like this will lead.

i'm certain fans of westerns, war movies, horror, musicals, etc. are all going to want a time slot

and not everyone will be happy with the time slots their favorites get

• Like 1

I'm looking at the website and they have The Essentials every Sat at 8pm, that's been going on forever, Movie Camp at Sunday at 8pm. TCM underground on forever, Darkness after Dawn used to be a regular feature, my case was  they had it before,, come back to the darkness

• Like 2

I, too, watched "Darkness After Dawn" faithfully every Sunday.  Best title and logo TCM every did for a program and I wanted a tee shirt!!!  There isn't any.  I posted a request for that several years ago. 

• Like 2

I would like this as well.  Since the beginning of this course, I've watched more films noir in the last few weeks than I've probably watched in the last five years!!  Now that I've learned about this class of films, I'd love to see more of the films that I've never watched before.  I would also love more on line courses on the topic.  Maybe the focus could be on specific directors: the films of Fritz Lang and  Alfred Hitchcock, etc.; and subjects like noir horror/sci fi films.   I'm thinking of the silent films The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu. And I just watched the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers this afternoon and also recently saw the original The Day the Earth Stood Still.  This would be so interesting!!

Excellent ideas. I just recently saw the TCM documentary on Val Lewton. A focus on him would be essential also. The man was a genius. What he got out of those small budgets - the atmosphere he created was amazing!

Subscribing to Now Playing Guide helps to know in advance when film Noir movies are going to be playing (assuming not preempted for a memorial).  For me, this is much easier than navigating through the TCM.com listings.  The Guide also has a brief description of each movie.

When I get it, I go through and highlight movies I want to see or record.

FXM shows old movies from 3AM till 3PM ET as a general rule.  Many are Film Noir or similar and seldom have commercials.

Some of the newer "broadcast" channels, TVmovies, this, MeTV, etc. show some noirs, but with commercials.

I wish I could get that FXM channel. They show a lot of 20th century Fox Noir classics.

B noirs. Love em!