Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Dark Horse: The most cynical, jaundiced view of human nature in a movie ever. I love it.

slaytonf

This movie is chock-full of your favorite WB lead and supporting actors.  Warren William at his fast-talking, unprincipled, manipulating best.  One of the few actors who could play a complete rogue you can't help admiring.  A young--a very young Bette Davis, firey and astringent.  Guy Kibbee at his bumpkin-best (even denser than his 42nd Street gull).  

None of the movies of the post-code era exceed or even match it for its depiction of the political process as a corrupt fake.  While the ending doesn't do justice to the rest of the movie, it still packs a lot of clever rat-a-tat dialog, flawlessly delivered.

Wasn't Bette Davis slinky?

• Like 6

slaytonf. I agree. I love good political satire - unbiased, pointing the finger at everyone, not just your opponants. They all do it.

I watched Madeleine Albright on the Morning Joe show the other day (she was commenting on the Iran neuclear deal). One of the panel asked her if she was being pessimistic. She replied that she was not a pessimist, but an optimist who worried a lot.

Political semantics 101 - Change the name to change perception.

Politicians are so good at this, I think they learn it in law school.

Best wishes
Metairie Road

Marvelous film--the more things change, the more they remain the same (some wise man/woman thought this up Way before me!

slaytonf--The director who said "She has all the sex appeal of Slim Summerville" was proved wrong (I think it was Michael Curtiz?)

Metairie Road--Re politicians--Agree, all are worthy of being satirized

Good day to you both. :)

This movie is chock-full of your favorite WB lead and supporting actors.  Warren William at his fast-talking, unprincipled, manipulating best.  One of the few actors who could play a complete rogue you can't help admiring.  A young--a very young Bette Davis, firey and astringent.  Guy Kibbee at his bumpkin-best (even denser than his 42nd Street gull).  

None of the movies of the post-code era exceed or even match it for its depiction of the political process as a corrupt fake.  While the ending doesn't do justice to the rest of the movie, it still packs a lot of clever rat-a-tat dialog, flawlessly delivered.

Wasn't Bette Davis slinky?

The Dark Horse is one of my all time favorite "political" movies, light years above sentimental fluff like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.  The best line in it came from William, when speaking of Guy Kibbee, he said "Every time he opens his mouth he subtracts from the sum total of human knowledge".

• Like 5

The Dark Horse is one of my all time favorite "political" movies, light years above sentimental fluff like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.  The best line in it came from William, when speaking of Guy Kibbee, he said "Every time he opens his mouth he subtracts from the sum total of human knowledge".

I really loved The Dark Horse.   Yesterday was the first time I saw it.   I'm glad TCM decided to feature a lesser known Bette Davis movie.     So many good lines and Bette was cute but also a women not just around for show;  in many ways she ran the place.   

slaytonf--The director who said "She has all the sex appeal of Slim Summerville" was proved wrong (I think it was Michael Curtiz?)

You think Slim Summerville doesn't have sex appeal?  ;)
  • Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings