Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Secret of Roan Inish (1994) [PG]

Thanks for mentioning this film. It's a favorite of mine.

THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA (hiding wine from the Nazis)

Good example. Quinn & Magnani previously appeared in George Cukor's WILD IS THE WIND.

Secret Agent  ​they aren't married, they are agents

I still haven't seen this one.

THE SECRET HEART (young girl lives in a depressive state since her father's death)

THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS (animated - the quiet life of a terrier becomes upended when his owner takes in a stray)

THE SECRET GARDEN (1949--after death of her parents, an orphaned young girl arrives at the mansion of her mysterious uncle where she finds a key to an abandoned garden which becomes a means to healing herself and the other inhabitants of the estate)

• Like 1

shutoo, on 30 Jan 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:snapback.png

Secret Agent  ​they aren't married, they are agents

I still haven't seen this one

-------------------------------

I'm always surprised at Hitchcock fans who haven't seen it.  It's much in the 39 Steps/The Lady Vanishes category...a couple thrown together, a few lighter moments, suspense...and some memorable scenes..the church organist, the little dog, the candy factory...Maybe not as polished as later Hitch, but all the elements are there.

• Like 1

STANLEY & IRIS (Jane Fonda works on an assembly line in a bakery factory and meets Robert De Niro who is a cook in the factory)

KINKY BOOTS (Joel Edgerton tries to save his father's shoe factory by making beautiful boots with the help of the inspirational "Lola" Chiwetel Ejiofor)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the excellent responses about factory workers yesterday. Since TCM is starting 31 Days of Oscar, I thought today's category should be related to the Academy Awards. I will post it in a few minutes, as soon as I can find a good picture of an Oscar. 

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

five hundred ninth category

Oscar upsets

screen-shot-2017-02-01-at-7-33-07-am.png

Loretta Young beating Rosalind Russell for best actress of 1947

Daniel Day Lewis beating Tom Cruise for best actor of 1989

Jessica Tandy beating Michelle Pfeiffer for best actress of 1989

Judy Holliday (Born Yesterday) over Gloria Swanson (​Sunset Boulevard)

Bob Fosse (Cabaret) over Francis Ford Coppola ​(The Godfather)

Rocky over ​All the President's Men, Network, Taxi Driver, Bound for Glory  ​and John G. Avildsen as the director over Igmar Berman, Sidney Lumet, Alan J. Pakula and Lina Wertmuller

Liz Taylor (​Butterfield 8...) over Shirley MacLaine 

Gregg Toland's amazing cinematography (Citizen Kane) lost to Arthur C. Miller (​How Green was My Valley)

It was a tough year (too many good choices), but it's a shame James Stewart (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington) couldn't have 'tied' with Robert Donat (​Goodbye Mr. Chips)

• Like 1

TO ME THE GREATEST UPSET WAS CLIFF ROBERTSON'S BEST ACTOR OSCAR WIN FOR CHARLY OVER THE INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE BY PETER O'TOOLE IN THE LION IN WINTER.

AND THAT INCLUDES THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR WIN BY OLIVER OVER THE AMAZING THE LION IN WINTER.

I WOULD ALSO HAVE TO INCLUDE AN AMERICAN IN PARIS WINNING THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR OVER A PLACE IN THE SUN.

I UNDERSTAND THIS CATEGORY IS ABOUT UPSETS, BUT IT IS BEYOND ME HOW EDWARD G. ROBINSON WAS NEVER NOMINATED FOR AN ACADEMY AWARD.  BUT THAT'S ANOTHER CATEGORY ENTIRELY.

• Like 1

TO ME THE GREATEST UPSET WAS CLIFF ROBERTSON'S BEST ACTOR OSCAR WIN FOR CHARLY OVER THE INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE BY PETER O'TOOLE IN THE LION IN WINTER.

AND THAT INCLUDES THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR WIN BY OLIVER OVER THE AMAZING THE LION IN WINTER.

I WOULD ALSO HAVE TO INCLUDE AN AMERICAN IN PARIS WINNING THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR OVER A PLACE IN THE SUN.

I UNDERSTAND THIS CATEGORY IS ABOUT UPSETS, BUT IT IS BEYOND ME HOW EDWARD G. ROBINSON WAS NEVER NOMINATED FOR AN ACADEMY AWARD.  BUT THAT'S ANOTHER CATEGORY ENTIRELY.

Yes, Robertson was good but O'Toole was even more impressive.

The situation with Edward G. Robinson reminds me of Irene Dunne. She never even received a lifetime achievement Oscar like Robinson, Kerr and Stanwyck did. She was totally overlooked (except by the Kennedy Center Honors). She had five Best Actress nominations and was incredible in all those films.

I still don't know how THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD beat all those other great 1952 films like HIGH NOON, THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, etc

I think you meant THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. Pauline Kael says pretty much the same thing in her review of the film. She found it too 'mawkish and trite.'

• Like 1