Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 12/13/2015 at 10:47 AM, MarshaKatz said:

Thanks, TopBilled for all your wonderful Classicategories. I hope the following movies in some way meet the criteria as "Fictional Movie Star Bio Pics" - So here goes:

1. Bette Davis as Baby Jane Hudson and Joan Crawford as Blanche Hudson in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"

2. Lana Turner as Georgia Lorrison in "The Bad And The Beautiful"

3. Carole Lombard as Lily Garland in "Twentieth Century"

4. Judy Garland as Esther Blodgett in "A Star is Born" (1952)

5. Janet Gaynor as Esther Victoria Blodgett in "A Star Is Born" (1937)

6. Joan Leslie as Katie Chemen in "The Hard Way"

7. Julia Roberts as Anna Scott in "Notting Hill"

8. Constance Bennett as Mary Evans in "What Price Hollywood"

You're certainly welcome, Marsha. And thank you for adding all the great answers/information. 

I did think about Baby Jane Hudson earlier. Esther Blodgett is another good one. 

I like how you included a more recent example, such as the Julia Roberts character.

I'm not sure if some of these count, but here goes nothing! 

Orson Welles as Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane

Susan Hayward as Angie Evans in Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman

Don Ameche as Henry Van Cleve in Heaven Can Wait

Freddie Bartholomew and Frank Lawton as David Copperfield in David Copperfield

Billy Mauch and Fredric March as Anthony Adverse in Anthony Adverse

Anthony Wager and John Mills as Pip in Great Expectations

On 12/14/2015 at 2:58 AM, Azure said:

I vote for The Fall of Lina Lamont.

So do I. She's the most interesting character in the film. Everyone else is bland by comparison.

They should have made a sequel with her attempting a comeback. LOL

Orson Welles as Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane

Well, CFK was a star in all those newreels of his life. Maybe they could have had his second wife Susan as a movie actress instead of an opera singer, but then that would have been too close to Hearst and Davies' actual story.

I have a great idea for today's category. I think everyone will love it and have fun with it. There are quite a few movies that fall under this category when you think about it...

I will post it later this morning.

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-5-05-33-pm.png

ninety-sevennth category 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-14%2Bat%2B7.36.1

Variations of GASLIGHT

RAGE IN HEAVEN...an earlier Ingrid Bergman film at MGM that has a similar plot

EXPERIMENT PERILOUS...RKO's version with Hedy Lamarr

WOMAN IN HIDING...Ida Lupino at Universal running from a husband who set her up

Well, CFK was a star in all those newreels of his life. Maybe they could have had his second wife Susan as a movie actress instead of an opera singer, but then that would have been too close to Hearst and Davies' actual story.

Oops!  I completely missed the "movie star" part of the category.  All I had in my mind was "fictional biography".  Sorry about that! 

• Like 1

ninety-eighth category

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-14%2Bat%2B7.36.1

Variations of GASLIGHT

RAGE IN HEAVEN...an earlier Ingrid Bergman film at MGM that has a similar plot

EXPERIMENT PERILOUS...RKO's version with Hedy Lamarr

WOMAN IN HIDING...Ida Lupino at Universal running from a husband who set her up

Midnight Lace -- People think that Doris Day is crazy when she tells them that someone is threatening to kill her.  A lot of strange things happen, but Doris is never able to prove that they happened.

On 12/14/2015 at 1:49 PM, Azure said:

Midnight Lace -- People think that Doris Day is crazy when she tells them that someone is threatening to kill her.  A lot of strange things happen, but Doris is never able to prove that they happened.

Exactly. That is definitely another gaslight story.

I mentioned Ingrid in RAGE IN HEAVEN and MGM's remake of GASLIGHT. But she revisited this story several more times-- in NOTORIOUS, and in FEAR, a European production she did with then-husband Roberto Rossellini. So she had it down.

In FEAR, there is a slight variation on the theme-- that time it is not the husband setting her up, but it is her lover's ex-girlfriend. 

I think that these movies fill the bill:

"Sleep My Love" 1948 - Rich Claudette Colbert being driven crazy by husband Don Ameche but saved in the end by Robert Cummings.

"So Long At the Fair" - 1950 - Jean Simmons and brother David Tomlinson come to Paris for the Exposition and brother goes "missing". The hotel staff deny ever seeing the brother and try to make Miss Simmons believe there was no brother. Coming to her rescue is Dirk Bogarde who is the only one who believes her since he's obviously attracted to her and he also borrowed a 5 pound note from her brother to pay for cab fare.

"'Dangerous Crossing" 1953 - A definite "take-off" of So Long At The Fair - with a slight twist - Rich newly married heiress Jeanne Crain and husband Carl Betz are on a honeymoon cruise but soon hubby goes missing. Miss Crain cannot convince any of the crew or passengers that there really is a husband but finally the ship's doctor Michael Rennie comes to her aid.

"Rebecca" 1940 - Hitchcock's first direction of a Hollywood movie and it's a beaut. Great adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's brilliant novel (which I've read at least a dozen times). The new bride of Maxim de Winter is haunted by the deceased first wife "Rebecca" of Maxim not only in Mandelay with all of Rebecca's memories in each nook and cranny but by the diabolical housekeeper Mrs. Danvers played to the hilt by the glorious Judith Anderson. Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier are superb as is the entire cast.

"Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" 1964 - Bette Davis (Charlotte) has been haunted by the death of her boyfriend on the night of what was to be their wedding. She invites her cousin Olivia De Havilland to comfort her, however, cousin, along with a good doctor played by the wonderful Joseph Cotton systematically try to drive poor Charlotte crazy for the money of course. Terrific and entertaining. And Bette and Olivia are marvelous together as always.

• Like 1

Good job, Marsha. I think SLEEP, MY LOVE is a great film. It was rare seeing Don Ameche in such a despicable role. 

Another film that might fit this category is CAST A DARK SHADOW, where Dirk Bogarde marries a wealthy older woman and sets a plan in motion to kill her. It's been awhile since I have seen it, so I can't remember if he succeeded. 

TopBilled,

I recently saw "Cast A Dark Shadow" (I think it was on TCM) and it certainly fits this category. Dirk Bogarde is already married to an older woman (Mona Washburne) who he does kill thinking he'll get her fortune however her money has been left to her sister Dora. Bogarde then meets another woman, a wealthy widow who is closer to his own age played by the great Margaret Lockwood. They meet coincidentally at the same seaside resort where he met his first wife. However, this second woman whom he marries is very savvy which makes things much more difficult for Borgarde in his plans to bump her off. Then he meets a woman (Kay Walsh)  who is looking to purchase a house and Bogarde insinuates himself into assisting her. There's quite an ironic twist in this film which makes it extra special.

It's a terrific movie with a terrific cast of marvelous British actors. I hope TCM puts it on its schedule (obviously it won't occur until after 31 Days of Oscar).

I really enjoy "Replying to Classicategories". Thanks for all your posts.

• Like 1
On 12/14/2015 at 10:06 PM, MarshaKatz said:

TopBilled,

I recently saw "Cast A Dark Shadow" (I think it was on TCM) and it certainly fits this category. Dirk Bogarde is already married to an older woman (Mona Washburne) who he does kill thinking he'll get her fortune however her money has been left to her sister Dora. Bogarde then meets another woman, a wealthy widow who is closer to his own age played by the great Margaret Lockwood. They meet coincidentally at the same seaside resort where he met his first wife. However, this second woman whom he marries is very savvy which makes things much more difficult for Borgarde in his plans to bump her off. Then he meets a woman (Kay Walsh)  who is looking to purchase a house and Bogarde insinuates himself into assisting her. There's quite an ironic twist in this film which makes it extra special.

It's a terrific movie with a terrific cast of marvelous British actors. I hope TCM puts it on its schedule (obviously it won't occur until after 31 Days of Oscar).

I really enjoy "Replying to Classicategories". Thanks for all your posts.

Thank you Marsha. What a sweet post. I thought Bogarde's character did succeed in the beginning, but as you say, there is an ironic reversal of fortune. It's a great film...mostly because of all those wonderful performances. 

Sometimes these gaslight variations are called 'women in peril' stories. Another one that comes to mind is Joan Crawford in SUDDEN FEAR. Jack Palance plays the evil husband. 

ninety-eighth category 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-15%2Bat%2B9.32.4

Movies based on the lives of real-life athletes

THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES..Gary Cooper as baseball player Lou Gehrig

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME..Paul Newman as boxer Rocky Graziano

BRIAN'S SONG..James Caan as football player Brian Piccolo

I can't think of any female ones, can you..?

ninety-ninth category

The Stratton Story--James Stewart as Monty Stratton

I don't know if you would count this one....

Million Dollar Mermaid--Esther Williams as Annette Kellerman

• Like 1

ninety-ninth category

HEART LIKE A WHEEL - Bonnie Bedelia as Shirley Muldowney(?)

JIM THORPE: ALL AMERICAN - Burt Lancaster as Thorpe

• Like 1

The Stratton Story--James Stewart as Monty Stratton

I don't know if you would count this one....

Million Dollar Mermaid--Esther Williams as Annette Kellerman

Yeah, I would count Annette Kellerman's life story. She was definitely athletic.

HEART LIKE A WHEEL - Bonnie Bedelia as Shirley Muldowney(?)

JIM THORPE: ALL AMERICAN - Burt Lancaster as Thorpe

Lancaster is superb in that film. Thanks for mentioning it. I've never seen the Bedelia picture.

"BABE" - TV Movie 1975 - Susan Clark as Mildred "Babe" Didrikson - Olympic champion track and field, world champion golfer

"Soul Surfer" 2011 - AnnaSophia Robb as Bethany Hamilton - great surfer who returns to surfing competition after losing an arm from a shark attack

"Fear Strikes Out" 1957 - Anthony Perkins as baseball player Jim Piersall

"Chariots of Fire" 1981 - Ben Cross as Harold Abrahams and Ian Charleson as Eric Liddell - British Olympic Champion Runners

"Cinderella Man" - 2005 - Russell Crowe as boxer James J. Braddock

"Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius" - Jim Caviezel as Amateur Golfing Champion Bobby Jones

"Ali" 2001 - Will Smith as boxer Muhammad Ali

"The World's Fastest Indian" Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro who set world's fastest land speed record on "motorcycle" he built at the Utah Bonneville Salt Flats in 1967

"Follow The Sun"  1951 - Glenn Ford as Pro Golfing Champion Ben Hogan

"The Jackie Robinson Story" 1950 - Jackie Robinson as himself - the most amazing baseball player ever

"42"  2013 Chadwick Boseman playing Jackie Robinson

"The Hurricane" 1999 - Denzel Washington as boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter

• Like 2