Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

15 minutes ago, metamorpheus said:

Side Note:  Since there is no apparent male counterpart for 'spinster' this seems to indicate a very outdated, even sexist term. Male characters having such a trait would include Ebeneezer Scrooge and their ilk.

I did think about that, and I appreciate your opening up the discussion in that way. Tomorrow's category is about a different kind of female character (perhaps the opposite of the spinster)...so I will be interested to see your comments about that as well, if you return to post tomorrow...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I did think about that, and I appreciate your opening up the discussion in that way. Tomorrow's category is about a different kind of female character (perhaps the opposite of the spinster)...so I will be interested to see your comments about that as well, if you return to post tomorrow...

Just wanted to say that I appreciate you posting a new category every day.  It's a lot of fun and can be quite challenging.  I'm sure I couldn't come up with a new topic every day.  Thanks!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Peebs said:

Just wanted to say I appreciate you posting a new category every day.  It's a lot of fun and can be quite challenging.  I'm sure I couldn't come up with a new topic every day.  Thanks!

You are very welcome!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

How about coming up with a comparable category for the men?! That would be more egalitarian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Marianne said:

How about coming up with a comparable category for the men?! That would be more egalitarian.

Yes, we can do that. What would we call it-- Eligible Bachelors? Doesn't sound as unflattering as "spinster" does it?

Metamorpheus is correct in saying that spinster feels like a put-down sexist term.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, we can do that. What would we call it-- Eligible Bachelors? Doesn't sound as unflattering as "spinster" does it?

Metamorpheus is correct in saying that spinster feels like a put-down sexist term.

I remember the term "confirmed bachelors" when referring to unmarried men, way back when.   I'm fine with "spinsters" in this context of old movie references.  I can't remember the last time anyone used it in casual conversation.  

• Thanks 2

Bette Davis in The Old Maid

Bette Davis in The Corn is Green

Olivia de Havilland in The Heiress

Marjorie Main in Tish

May Robson in Million Dollar Baby (1941)

Mildred Natwick in The Trouble With Harry

Sara Haden as Aunt Milly in the Andy Hardy series

the Miss Havisham character in all the versions of Great Expectations

the Miss Marple character

Edna May Oliver as Hildegarde Withers (The Penguin Pool Murder, Murder on a Honeymoon, Murder on the Blackboard)   she often played a 'spinster' character  Image result for edna may oliver penguin pool murder

• Like 3

a couple more interpretations:

Falling from Grace (yes, he dropped it for the film credits, but he'll always be John Cougar Mellencamp to me..)                                                                                       Animated GIF

or the Mercury cougar (woman in trunk) used in From Dusk till Dawn  Image result for dusk till dawn auto

• Like 4
On 11/22/2019 at 5:56 AM, metamorpheus said:

Side Note:  Since there is no apparent male counterpart for 'spinster' this seems to indicate a very outdated, even sexist term. Male characters having such a trait would include Ebeneezer Scrooge and their ilk.

One term that is used in "Confirmed Bachelor" or just "Bachelor"

• Thanks 2