Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. It it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." -E.B. White, writer 1899-1985)

Enjoy yourself and forget about it. No one can really improve the world without a complete loss of peace of mind. In the words of one of my favorite fictional characters, "The days that make us happy make us wise." ---Lettice

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde
 

Oh Oscar, you are trying to hard now. I suppose we should absorb quotations into our own psyches and then spew them out and pretend that they are own own. So long as we attribute quotations to their proper source, we will be all right. If we didn't live our lives in mimicry, or be passionate about quotations, we would not even know you. But yes, there is nothing new under the sun so we must profit if we can from what others have said before us, so long as it appropriate to gainful advancement. If that is mimicry, I'm all for it. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

" Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." Dorothy Parker

And you know what they say, there's a Dorothy for every quote.

 

You mean like the one about Kansas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

There's a bumper sticker going around town to die for. It says something like this:

" Auntie Em, I'm leaving Kansas and I'm taking the dog.  ( signed)  Dorothy"

Mignon .

Would it be funnier if the signature were left off? Many would not get it, I suppose (hell, the wouldn't get it anyway) ; still, it would be better. Nothing wrong with being a little mysterious. Who knows, one might even look it up (unless you're under 30, of course).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, laffite said:

Mignon .

Would it be funnier if the signature were left off? Many would not get it, I suppose ; still, it would be better. Nothing wrong with being a little mysterious. Who knows, one might even look it up (unless you're under 30, of course).

J'aime  bien vos citations.

I learn from good quotations.

And hopefully, I'll never get so old that I would close off my mind from learning something new.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Change your life today. Don't gamble on the future, act now, without delay." - Simone de Beauvoir

==

No. no, no ... oh Simone, Simone. Yes, we should act and okay, today if necessary. But wait ... don't plunge precipitously, don't "go for it," don't force life. You make it sound like an act of desperation. Desperate acts are seldom fruitful because desperation and anxiety are bedfellows, and if you are afflicted with anxiety before the doing, you surely will still afflicted after the doing, whatever the result. Happiness never emanates from anxiety and desperation. Even if "everything turns out all right ", you will not be happy. That's not happiness, it is a temporary satiation and relief from obsession of mind.. Soon it will pass and then you'll be right back to this "without delay" crap. Just relax and be aware, do the next indicated thing, you will find the future will take care of itself and better than anything you might have planned. "Change your life" is poor advice ... unless you make up your mind to do nothing at all. If you want to smell the roses, that's okay. :lol:

///

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, laffite said:

"Change your life today. Don't gamble on the future, act now, without delay." - Simone de Beauvoir

==

No. no, no ... oh Simone, Simone. Yes, we should act and okay, today if necessary. But wait ... don't plunge precipitously, don't "go for it," don't force life. You make it sound like an act of desperation. Desperate acts are seldom fruitful because desperation and anxiety are bedfellows, and if you are afflicted with anxiety before the doing, you surely will still afflicted after the doing, whatever the result. Happiness never emanates from anxiety and desperation. Even if "everything turns out all right ", you will not be happy. That's not happiness, it is a temporary satiation and relief from obsession of mind.. Soon it will pass and then you'll be right back to this "without delay" crap. Just relax and be aware, do the next indicated thing, you will find the future will take care of itself and better than anything you might have planned. "Change your life" is poor advice ... unless you make up your mind to do nothing at all. If you want to smell the roses, that's okay. :lol:

///

You have to read Simone's autobiography: " La jeune fille bien rangee ". People have seen her as a Pioneer in feminism and individuality for women. But in terms of organizing and running her own life she was extraordinary traditional and being conservative was careful as to how she proceeded. I think they call that a paradox. Camus called her a bluestocking, whatever that meant originally, I think he meant it pejoratively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

You have to read Simone's autobiography: " La jeune fille bien rangee ". People have seen her as a Pioneer in feminism and individuality for women. But in terms of organizing and running her own life she was extraordinary traditional and being conservative was careful as to how she proceeded. I think they call that a paradox. Camus called her a bluestocking, whatever that means. 

I think it means a female intellectual, one who is preoccupied with literary things. It was coined at a time when there were few women like that. It might have been Virginia Woolf who inspired the term. There is a bookstore in my neighborhood called Bluestocking Books, which is of course a tribute to women of the literary vein, though they have the full gamut of books in their inventory.

I haven't read her bio (Beauvoir) so you know more than me. And yes, as you intimate, the quote seems counter-intuitive with her actual life style.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, laffite said:

I think it means a female intellectual, one who is preoccupied with literary things. It was coined at a time when there were few women like that. It might have been Virginia Woolf who inspired the term. There is a bookstore in my neighborhood called Bluestocking Books, which is of course a tribute to women of the literary vein, though they have the full gamut of books in their inventory.

I haven't read her bio (Beauvoir) so you know more than me. And yes, as you intimate, the quote seems counter-intuitive with her actual life style.

Camus' pejorative view is a later take on the term: a sexually unattractive well educated woman whose literary/ philosophical opinions did not agree with his. To cut to the chase-- she was willing, but he was at anybody but her. ( That was a very good description of Camus.)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Disillusion words like bullets bark; As human Gods aim for their mark; And make everything from toy guns that spark; To flesh colored Christs that glow in the dark;  It's easy to see without looking too far;  That not much is really sacred." 

                    ---Bob Dylan("It's All Right Ma(I'm Only Bleeding")

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Imagine there's no countries, / It isn't hard to do. / Nothing to kill or die for, / And no religion, too. / Imagine all the people / Living life in peace."  ---John Lennon

But, But, But ... what if we were different colors, and stuff. What if have different ideas about things. What if I say toMATo and you say toMatE-o. We could always find many things to kill or die for. If there were no religions than we would start making them up again. Maybe if we all lived in peace, we would be bored.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no firm evidence that he actually ever said it, but President George W. Bush's reputed utterance to British Prime Minister Tony Blair that "the trouble with the French is that they don’t have a word for entrepreneur" probably echoed a widely held notion that France wasn't a country one immediately associated with entrepreneurs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...