Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

6 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Imagine taking seriously a man who looks like this.

Zizek usually looks like he just crawled out of a dumpster, so basing judgment on appearance isn't always the best course.

f434d196-ce95-405a-b880-813e9acc008e.jpg

To keep this post on topic -

"Humanity is OK, but 99% of people are boring idiots." - Slavoj Zizek

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Zizek usually looks like he just crawled out of a dumpster, so basing judgment on appearance isn't always the best course.

f434d196-ce95-405a-b880-813e9acc008e.jpg

To keep this post on topic -

"Humanity is OK, but 99% of people are boring idiots." - Slavoj Zizek

True but at the very least, he didn't call for abolishing age of consent which makes him higher than Beauvoir in my book.

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

There's no firm evidence that he actually ever said it, but President George W. Bush's reputed utterance to British Prime Minister Tony Blair that "the trouble with the French is that they don’t have a word for entrepreneur" probably echoed a widely held notion that France wasn't a country one immediately associated with entrepreneurs.

But isn't the larger hilarity the fact that entrepreneur IS a French word. Or is that so obvious it barely deserves mentioning.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Beauvoir and Sartre were both pereverts. Imagine taking seriously a man who looks like this. :blink:

8SzwQc8j2KJb4ARrxQxCjX4jizub4U5CAK3WwB89

Disgusting. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_petition_against_age_of_consent_laws

I take it you're joking. Say what you will about the man, but what does his looks have to do with it.

;)But you're a philosopher, you should know better;)

6 minutes ago, laffite said:

I take it you're joking. Say what you will about the man, but what does his looks have to do with it.

;)But you're a philosopher, you should know better;)

Well Aesthetics were an important part of Plato and Arstotle's works. ;) That said, the jab at his eyes was a joke but not his support for the opposition to those laws. That was a very scumy thing of him to support.

41 minutes ago, laffite said:

But isn't the larger hilarity the fact that entrepreneur IS a French word. Or is that so obvious it barely deserves mentioning.

Yes, that was the joke and what leaps out.

"Alas, the deafness of high places. The privileged have no hearing on the side next the disinherited. Is it their fault? Alas! no. It is their law. Forgive them! To be moved would be to abdicate. Of lords and princes expect nothing. He who is satisfied is inexorable. For those that have their fill the hungry do not exist."  ---Victor Hugo

==

This quote and those upthread are taken from L'homme qui rit ("The Man Who Laughs"), a novel by Victor Hugo.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"We have come to a point where it is loyalty to resist, and treason to submit."

-----Carl Schurz, revolutionary, statesman, and reformer (2 Mar 1829-1906}

------

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I love the English. But it is too bad they can't do anything with that awful food. 

Because of England i love Indian food' a close friend in Newcastle was an expert  in the Indian cuisine, he turned me into  it in early 84,the Indian restaurants were a big success in the UK.A multitude of them all over the country in a few years..what did it for me was a weird sauce on a steak and green mint sauce on something else,I have been to the UK  dozens of times viva Indian restaurants.

• Like 1

A Dorothy Parker double bill: 

“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.”

And saying to the secretary of a studio head why the script was not ready:

“Tell him I was too effing busy or vice versa...'

1 minute ago, nakano said:

Because of England i love Indian food' a close friend in Newcastle was an expert  in the Indian cuisine, he turned me into  it in early 84,the Indian restaurants were a big success in the UK.A multitude of them all over the country in a few years..what did it for me was a weird sauce on a steak and green mint sauce on something else,I have been to the UK  dozens of times viva Indian restaurants.

The first time I ever went to London when I was in college my favorite cousin took me on a tour of The Monuments and then to his favorite Indian restaurant in Soho.

I suppose if you like that kind of food that's the best you're going to find outside of India. I don't like Indian food.

But I have to admit there are many fine restaurants of all kinds in London serving French cuisine, Chinese cuisine, Italian cuisine Etc.

But traditional English fare is blah, except for fish and chips-- they are Sublime over there and that's where I capitulate. LOL

3 minutes ago, nakano said:

A Dorothy Parker double bill: 

“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.”

And saying to the secretary of a studio head why the script was not ready:

“Tell him I was too effing busy or vice versa...'

Those are the kind of questions that I give over on the games and trivia side. You should come on over and join the fun!

6 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

The first time I ever went to London when I was in college my favorite cousin took me on a tour of The Monuments and then to his favorite Indian restaurant in Soho.

I suppose if you like that kind of food that's the best you're going to find outside of India. I don't like Indian food.

But I have to admit there are many fine restaurants of all kinds in London serving French cuisine, Chinese cuisine, Italian cuisine Etc.

But traditional English fare is blah, except for fish and chips-- they are Sublime over there and that's where I capitulate. LOL

There was a great one in NYC' i think on Madison Ave maybe it was the Bombay Palace,i guess you do not like the colors  of  the sauces,i have 5 favorites cuisines and Indian is one of them..

• 4 months later...