Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

He answered me once, to tell me that he liked me "not much." From him that's nearly a compliment. I was left to wonder whether he liked me a little, then. I would think he wouldn't like me at all, which is probably the case. I captioned a picture he posted in CATS and he thought it was in bad taste. Maybe it was. A gorilla is playing with several kittens and I captioned to the effect that the gorilla was trying to choose which of the kittens he would eat first. He didn't request it but I deleted my post out of respect for the fact that it was his posted picture and that he was the one complaining. I would have done the same for anyone else as well. It was a cute picture and my caption was a little retrograde.

Although I still fall victim, I learned long ago that it is useless to argue with Nipper, Jakie or Movie Moron.

Incidentally, the greatest "proof' of the "non-existence" of a "Supreme Being" is the sorry state of mankind, what they do and how they treat each other.  Add in, the horrible diseases that cannot be controlled, weather, etc.  And I'm a Baptist!

I'm not arguing. I'm practicing logic.

But surely you've heard. God moves in a mysterious way, his wonders to perform.

My favorites by Menken are:

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule"

And of course---

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I'll repeat my favorite from Oscar Levant......

"The only difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt too."

Sepiatone

I love Oscars' wit. Some of the best books I have ever enjoyed about Hollywood were written by Oscar.

I used to watch him on the Jack Paar Tonight Show after he had all those nervous breakdowns-- I think probably electroshock treatments too.

He would act nervous and twitch a lot, but when Jack finally got him to play the piano he was simply marvelous.

I think the characters that he played in all those movies really we're just written around his own acerbic wit.

• Like 1

My favorites by Menken are:

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule"

And of course---

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Sepiatone

Here's another:

"Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking."  ---Mencken

• Like 1

"WHO you are is never as important as WHAT you are as a PERSON."

An 8th grade teacher of mine had a plaque with this on her classroom wall.  Can't recall the person who said it.

Sepiatone

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't​".

Margaret Thatcher

That's akin to what Louis Armstrong said when asked, "What is jazz".---

"If you have to ask, you'll NEVER know."  ;)

Sepiatone

That's akin to what Louis Armstrong said when asked, "What is jazz".---

"If you have to ask, you'll NEVER know."  ;)

Sepiatone

...or maybe the famous answer to the following question: "What is obscenity?"

• Like 1