Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made."---Franklin Roosevelt

Sepiatone

"No human rae is superior.  No religion is inferior.  All collective judgements are wrong.  Only racists make them"--Elie Wiesel

Sepiatone

Not to be too hard on Wiesel, but isn't his last sentence a collective judgement?

• Like 1

Alice: "Would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?"

Cheshire Cat: "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to".

Alice: "I don't care much where".

Cheshire Cat: "Then it doesn't much matter which way you go".

Alice: "So long as I get somewhere".

Cheshire Cat: "Oh, you're sure to do that if you walk long enough".

Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

• 1 month later...

"If I were I asked to prove that Zeus and Poseidon and Hera and the rest of the Olympians do not exist, I shold be at a loss to find conclusive arguments" -Bertrand Russell

• Like 1
On 11/16/2017 at 6:34 PM, Arsan404 said:

"If I were I asked to prove that Zeus and Poseidon and Hera and the rest of the Olympians do not exist, I shold be at a loss to find conclusive arguments" -Bertrand Russell

Yeah, Bert, but as it is often said, the burden of proof is on them, not you. You didn't know Christopher Hitchins, but he maintained that anything asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

On 11/18/2017 at 2:30 AM, laffite said:

Yeah, Bert, but as it is often said, the burden of proof is on them, not you. You didn't know Christopher Hitchins, but he maintained that anything asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

I've never read Hitchens, but that's the point Russell was trying to make, that the burden of proof is on them, not him. If he can't disprove a claim it doesn't mean the claim is right.

• 3 weeks later...

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum -- even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate." ---Noam Chomsky

4 minutes ago, laffite said:

"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum -- even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate." ---Noam Chomsky

So what does that quote mean to you, laffite? Do you think such limitation is currently occurring, and if so, where and how? What "presuppositions of the system" are being reinforced?