Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too Late For Tears

Hibi

Did you see it?

I watched it on youtube the same week that Lizabeth died. It's one of those cheap, but interesting, little late forties/fifties noir/melodramas; pretty compelling with a nice ending; the only really gifted performer in it, though, is Dan Duryea. (I don't much care for the always ACTING! style of Arthur Kennedy.)

Yes, I watched it. (hadnt seen it before). I was on the phone for a small stretch of it, so I hope TCM runs it again. I found it a little disppointing  Felt the story was a little too over the top (as far as Scott's character was concerned) but I enjoyed some of the twists and turns......Just found it hard to believe Scott's character would go so off the rails like that.

Who knew Dan Duryea would play a sympathetic character?  (in the end, anyway,...)

Yes, I watched it. (hadnt seen it before). I was on the phone for a small stretch of it, so I hope TCM runs it again. I found it a little disppointing  Felt the story was a little too over the top (as far as Scott's character was concerned) but I enjoyed some of the twists and turns......Just found it hard to believe Scott's character would go so off the rails like that.

Who knew Dan Duryea would play a sympathetic character?

I don't recall Duryea being terribly sympathetic in it (he even has his trademark slapping of the female lead scene, although in this case, some may find it warranted)...although it is a shame when he dies as he is the most interesting character in the movie.

I didn't find Scott's going off the rails too hard to swallow, the film was one of those basic premises like QUICKSAND- one bad deed snowballs and it just keeps getting tougher and tougher to stay above water....often the case in real life.

Seriously though, you have to kind of love it when Scott- in strapless, organza gown with heavy decollotage- goes over a balcony at an Acapulco hotel, file this one under: they don't make 'em like this anymore.

• Like 1

I don't recall Duryea being terribly sympathetic in it (he even has his trademark slapping of the female lead scene, although in this case, some may find it warranted)...although it is a shame when he dies as he is the most interesting character in the movie.

I didn't find Scott's going off the rails too hard to swallow, the film was one of those basic premises like QUICKSAND- one bad deed snowballs and it just keeps getting tougher and tougher to stay above water....often the case in real life.

Seriously though, you have to kind of love it when Scott- in strapless, organza gown with heavy decollotage- goes over a balcony at an Acapulco hotel, file this one under: they don't make 'em like this anymore.

LOL. That's for sure!!!  He wasnt sympathetic in the beginning, but as the film progressed and Scott becomes more evil he actually seems to have a conscience. Maybe if Scott had been evil to begin with, I could've swallowed the plot more easily. Still, a very interesting film...

No thread for this TCM premiere? Very strange..........

Note there are threads on Too Late For Tears as well as all of the noir films TCM is featuring in Summer of Darkness.  They are located in a special forum where many "newbies" are making comments,  as well as the instructor of the Noir classes.   Very interesting for fans of noir.    That forum is where the action has been in the last month or so. 

. Maybe if Scott had been evil to begin with, I could've swallowed the plot more easily. Still, a very interesting film...

At the end of the film we can safely speculate that Liz Scott's Jane  always was evil, there is that little matter of what happened to her first husband.   That is hinted at earlier in the film and at the end we learn who the Don DeFore  character is and why he gets so involved in the story.  He was tracking  down the woman who was responsible for his brother's death.

• Like 1

At the end of the film we can safely speculate that Liz Scott's Jane  always was evil, there is that little matter of what happened to her first husband.   That is hinted at earlier in the film and at the end we learn who the Don DeFore  character is and why he gets so involved in the story.  He was tracking  down the woman who was responsible for his brother's death.

But the way I interpret that is that Jane wasn't directly responsible for her first husband's death.   He killed himself because he couldn't meet Jane's needs.    So yea,  Jane always wanted more and more but she wasn't evil at that point.   It was actually coming into money that wasn't hers that turned her to the very dark side.

One part of the plot I didn't get.

Don DeFore pops up, posing as a friend of Arthur Kennedy. In reality it turns out he is investigating Liz Scott because he is the brother of her first husband and suspicious of the cause of his death.

But when DeFore posed as Kennedy's friend he got away with it for a while because Kennedy had been killed by Scott, something that DeFore didn't know.

So what gives? Did I miss something? Why would DeFore initially pose as a military friend of Kennedy when, for all he knew, his "friend" would turn up any minute to prove him a liar?

Don DeFore pops up, posing as a friend of Arthur Kennedy. In reality it turns out he is investigating Liz Scott because he is the brother of her first husband and suspicious of the cause of his death.

But when DeFore posed as Kennedy's friend he got away with it for a while because Kennedy had been killed by Scott, something that DeFore didn't know.

So what gives? Did I miss something? Why would DeFore initially pose as a military friend of Kennedy when, for all he knew, his "friend" would turn up any minute to prove him a liar?

He wanted information, and figured he would get as much as he could before Kennedy showed. up. What I didn't get---When Scott abandoned her car near the beach and started walking on the beach, how did she magically end up at home?

He wanted information, and figured he would get as much as he could before Kennedy showed. up.

If DeFore's suspicious that his brother was murdered, it takes time to prove that. Bluffing that he was a friend of someone who could suddenly walk around the corner (for all he knew) just doesn't make any sense.

Yes, I know. She claims it was a suicide, but you really dont know.....

SPOILER.

But what she did to Duryea (and what she wanted to do to her sister-in-law) I found really despicable......

Just seemed she went off the rails way too quickly

If DeFore's suspicious that his brother was murdered, it takes time to prove that. Bluffing that he was a friend of someone who could suddenly walk around the corner (for all he knew) just doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, I didnt think about that at the time............

He wanted information, and figured he would get as much as he could before Kennedy showed. up. What I didn't get---When Scott abandoned her car near the beach and started walking on the beach, how did she magically end up at home?

She thumbed a ride??? Wouldnt you pick her up???

• Like 1

Didn't Don (DeFore) go to Jane's home during the day?    Given the era the odds were good he would be able to talk to Jane,  the wife,  alone,  since the Husband,   Alan,  would be at work.      While the ruse would only work for a short time,   Don didn't have much else up his sleeve.   i.e.  if the couple never discovered that money Don wouldn't have anything more than his suspicions.     

Didn't Don (DeFore) go to Jane's home during the day?    Given the era the odds were good he would be able to talk to Jane,  the wife,  alone,  since the Husband,   Alan,  would be at work.      While the ruse would only work for a short time,   Don didn't have much else up his sleeve.   i.e.  if the couple never discovered that money Don wouldn't have anything more than his suspicions.     

I'll say the ruse wouldn't work for long, especially when the husband would presumably show up in a short while.

But what she did to Duryea (and what she wanted to do to her sister-in-law) I found really despicable......

Just seemed she went off the rails way too quickly

After she murdered her husband (why else did she bring a gun on the boat?) and cold bloodedly anchored his body before dumping it in the lake, I think we more or less knew that this character would do anything for the money.

Killing her sister-in-law or Duryea is just more of the cold blooded same.

And we still don't know for sure that she hadn't killed her first husband, too. (If that was the case, that was an action before the film even began).

After she murdered her husband (why else did she bring a gun on the boat?) and cold bloodedly anchored his body before dumping it in the lake, I think we more or less knew that this character would do anything for the money.

Killing her sister-in-law or Duryea is just more of the cold blooded same.

And we still don't know for sure that she hadn't killed her first husband, too. (If that was the case, that was an action before the film even began).

I thought she brought the gun for protection because she was going to meet Duryea there?

Did anyone else see similarities between this and "A Simple Plan?"  In that one the Bridget Fonda character seems like a sweet, ordinary housewife until her husband and his brother find a wrecked airplane with a bag full of money.  In no time at all she becomes very greedy and obsessed with keeping the money.

• Like 1

Did anyone else see similarities between this and "A Simple Plan?"  In that one the Bridget Fonda character seems like a sweet, ordinary housewife until her husband and his brother find a wrecked airplane with a bag full of money.  In no time at all she becomes very greedy and obsessed with keeping the money.

Maybe they did some borrowing there. I didnt see the movie.

Yes AndreaDoria, very much so, you have to remember there is an old guard on these boards who don't watch any films past the 60's, it's their loss.

• Like 2

(Warning: Nothing but SPOILERS and COMPLAINTS)

Gotta say, I was disappointed in these characters continuously. Why didn't Lizabeth shoot Dan when she drove him out to the middle of nowhere, instead of letting him walk away? Why didn't she shoot her sister-in-law before she could run out of the room and call the cops? Why can't she kill who she shoots? Why would Dan drink a drink that Lizabeth made for him after he already BOUGHT POISON for her? Aw, f--fiddle-dee-dee! I hate it when movies are like this. The criminals are so dumb even Don DeFore can outsmart them.*

(*This may be unfair to Don DeFore, as I'm not familiar with his work, but I feel it's probably not out-of-line. Kind of like being outsmarted by Jack Carson, right?)

• Like 4

Yeah, the characters were irritating at best, ALL of them. Plus, as with noirs and crime dramas, if you think about them too long ,you'll find holes in the plot and the logic as big as the Holland Tunnel. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

PA. I believe the hotel is in Mexico City, not Acapulco. At least, the introductory shot of the facade was of one in the capital.

• Like 1

Yeah, the characters were irritating at best, ALL of them. Plus, as with noirs and crime dramas, if you think about them too long ,you'll find holes in the plot and the logic as big as the Holland Tunnel. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

PA. I believe the hotel is in Mexico City, not Acapulco. At least, the introductory shot of the facade was of one in the capital.

The hotel was in Mexico City according to the book Film Noir (Silver \ Ward).   As for the characters being irritating;  yea, even Jane's sister wasn't very charming.    At first I felt that this was done on purpose to soften the blow to the audience when she was killed.  

Still I enjoyed the film,  but as you noted if one looks for holes in the plot one will find them just like the streets of L.A. today (oh, way those are potholes).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings