Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"White Heat"

Terrence1

I have a couple of questions about this movie.  Since it is such a favorite of many peopole, I have the feeling that it won't take long to get an answer.  I haven't seen it in a long time, but I remember that Cagney's mother dies before the end of the story.  First of all, how does she die? And secondly, is there actually a death scene, or is her death just spoken about?  Thanks to anyone who can help.

Terrence.

No, it isnt shown. I think it's Steve Cochran who shoots her, at least according to Mayo. Since Cochran and Mayo were playing around, she probably had a hand in it too.......(particularly since she didnt like "mom").

Although Verna tells Cody Jarrett that Big Ed killed Cody's mother, an earlier scene between Big Ed and Verna has Big Ed indicating that Verna killed Cody's mother. Is Big Ed telling the truth? Or is Big Ed threatening Verna with a lie?

Although Verna tells Cody Jarrett that Big Ed killed Cody's mother, an earlier scene between Big Ed and Verna has Big Ed indicating that Verna killed Cody's mother. Is Big Ed telling the truth? Or is Big Ed threatening Verna with a lie?

Based on Verna's reaction to Big Ed threatening to tell Cody that she plugged Ma, I think she did do it. She doesn't deny that she did it. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, she indicates that she did it after Ma got the drop on Big Ed.

Oh, by the way, Ma got it IN THE BACK. Grrrrrrrr.

• Like 2

Based on Verna's reaction to Big Ed threatening to tell Cody that she plugged Ma, I think she did do it. She doesn't deny that she did it. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, she indicates that she did it after Ma got the drop on Big Ed.

Yes,  Verna put Ma into the big sleep.    No gal likes a mother competing for her man's affections.    (of course most women solve the issue by just moving out of state!).

Terrence,

After Cody breaks out of jail, there is a scene between Verna and Big Ed, where Verna says that she had to shoot Ma in the back because she (Ma) had the drop on him. 

I'd forgotten that. I'll have to watch the movie again (LOL).

Whichever one knocked off the old bag, I offer them a hearty

handshake. Virginia is a sweetheart, though not so much in

this one. If she did it, I'm sure she had a good reason.

LOL!!!

Jim Thorpe is one of those convicts? That's a new one on me. I need to get out that DVD and rewatch that scene...

White-Heat-300x2251_zpsm5mwigkg.png

The all American about to pass the word to Cody. Truth is, it didn't dawn on me either that it was Thorpe either until I read Tor's . . . err, Rich's comment.

• Like 1

White-Heat-300x2251_zpsm5mwigkg.png

The all American about to pass the word to Cody. Truth is, it didn't dawn on me either that it was Thorpe either until I read Tor's . . . err, Rich's comment.

Is he the one on the right???

Is he the one on the right???

Yup, that's Thorpe. He worked as an Indian extra on the set of They Died with Their Boots On, reputedly getting into a fight off set with Errol Flynn. It was a pretty quick affair, with an Indian once again triumphant over "Custer." Thorpe is said to have won the fight with a one punch knockout. Flynn didn't lose too many fights, and is said to have admired Thorpe for easily besting him.

Even gangsters  have unwritten codes of conduct. You can shoot a person in any part of the body, just not in the back.  That's despicable!    Obviously Ma Jarrett was quick on the draw and Verna knew she couldn't win in a fair gunfight. :D

Even gangsters  have unwritten codes of conduct. You can shoot a person in any part of the body, just not in the back.  That's despicable!    Obviously Ma Jarrett was quick on the draw and Verna knew she couldn't win in a fair gunfight. :D

Yeah, she seemed like a tough old bird..........am sure Verna would've been no match in a fair fight!

How about in the groin?

Verna just didn't wish to have to see her mug one more time.   :o

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings