Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Eddie Mueller, Noir Host

I am loving the festival of noir films that is currently on TCM, but it would appear that they really need a better host. Regardless of this person's connection to the subject matter, as a host he makes me nervous watching him as he monotonously introduces the films.

Let's face it, he's no Rod Serling or even John Cameron Swayze. Now if Zachary Scott were hosting I might be able to stomach these intros.

Mr. Mueller [or is it Muller?] also uses the same two hand movements, to emphasize all his points and it really distracts from what he is saying, so is detrimental anyway. He has only one facial expression and no inflection to his voice also.

I think that just like the men in noir films, who are always rather boring and wishy-washy, that the best noir host for a noir festival, would be a HOSTESS!

That's right, the only proper person to host noir films, would be from the sex that made them interesting to begin with...the female sex. I've never known a man who liked noir who was not a bit vanilla-ish and that is why such men are attracted to the noir films to begin with I would diagnose. But the women fans of noir, are a bit like their exciting prototypes on screen, which is why they are so much more fascinating.

Now if Jan Sterling or Lizbeth Scott were around, they would make the perfect hostess but since they aren't, pick someone who is more exciting than the current host, and could liven up the proceedings.

And always remember, the only good noir is one with a bad girl, which is true also for the hosting duties! Bland men just don't cut it. You can hate me for saying this, but as a noir girl...I have to tell it like it is as horrid as the true facts may be.

Eddie Muller has been a terrific host for TCM film noir presentations, in my opinion. He has great presence that is hardly vanilla wishy washy, by my standards. Not only is he very authorative on the subject of all things noir, without seeming like some kind of film convention geek, but he speaks with intelligence and signs of a sense of humour.

Perhaps with a trenchcoat, fedora and five o'clock shadow, he'd appeal bit more to you, CaveGirl.

However, a lady hostess could certainly be an interesting idea, as well (even though, as we all know, a dame is not to be trusted). Who knows, tales may come out of the TCM walls of studio techs that disappeared after succumbing to her seductive, husky voiced charms.

The problem is - where to find her? A bar? A street corner? A film noir convention? An Eddie Muller family get-together?

In the meanwhile we will just have to settle for our present host, and, quite frankly, I'm pretty happy about that (even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't carry a rod).

• Like 7

I have to disagree. I think he's great. So knowledgeable and given his background, who better to introduce these films???  I hope he comes back for more! I havent missed a night (a few films here and there that I wasnt in the mood to see again, but I've watched around 85% of them........)

• Like 3

Eddie Muller has been a terrific host for TCM film noir presentations, in my opinion. He has great presence that is hardly vanilla wishy washy, by my standards. Not only is he very authorative on the subject of all things noir, without seeming like some kind of film convention geek, but he speaks with intelligence and signs of a sense of humour.

Perhaps with a trenchcoat, fedora and five o'clock shadow, he'd appeal bit more to you, CaveGirl.

However, a lady hostess could certainly be an interesting idea, as well (even though, as we all know, a dame is not to be trusted). Who knows, tales may come out of the TCM walls of studio techs that disappeared after succumbing to her seductive, husky voiced charms.

The problem is - where to find her? A bar? A street corner? A film noir convention? An Eddie Muller family get-together?

In the meanwhile we will just have to settle for our present host, and, quite frankly, I'm pretty happy about that (even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't carry a rod).

I agree that Muller is doing a fine, first rate job as host.    While having an actress as a co-host for films that starred that actress would be great,   I wouldn't assume that overall an actress or actor would be a better general host.    I really doubt any actor knows more about noir films than someone like Muller. 

• Like 1

A woman doing the intros (or is it wraparound these days) would be interesting. Someone who could be fatale-ish without overdoing it.

A few years ago TCM had a month-long tribute to Noir and really did a creative job with the introductions, showing noir-ish mock scenes done apparently in the TCM studios, with interesting skits along noir lines, immensely entertaining all month long. Anyone else remember that?

I agree that Muller is doing a fine, first rate job as host.    While having an actress as a co-host for films that starred that actress would be great,   I wouldn't assume that overall an actress or actor would be a better general host.    I really doubt any actor knows more about noir films than someone like Muller. 

The actress would have to be at least in her eighties. A woman in her eighties playing a femme fatale would be a heavy trip, man.

• Like 1

The actress would have to be at least in her eighties. A woman in her eighties playing a femme fatale would be a heavy trip, man.

Not a bad idea. It could take place in a rest home. Don't laugh, someone might do something with this some day. It might make a great comedy.

I think Eddie Mueller is doing a great job which is more than I can say about many other of the guest hosts.  He's enthusiastic, knowledgeable and smooth.  My only objection is the lack of a decent set for he and other guest hosts to work from. The tacky "nothing is behind them but a sea of blue or green nothingness" is unworthy of TCM though in these days of TCM "austerity" nothing surprises me.  And, isn't Mueller based in LA?  It seems studio space (or a cool LA 1940's/1950's noiresque location)

would have been very easy to rent. It's a shame, with an entire summer dedicated to noir, TCM could not do a better job of presenting the host. 

Lydecker

• Like 2

Not a bad idea. It could take place in a rest home. Don't laugh, someone might do something with this some day. It might make a great comedy.

They don't use the term "rest home" anymore. It's either "nursing home", "continuing care community" or "enhanced care community".

They don't use the term "rest home" anymore. It's either "nursing home", "continuing care community" or "enhanced care community".

Enhanced? LOL.

TCM couldn`t have chosen a better film noir host than Eddie Muller. He knows his facts and gives us interesting tidbits. We know that George Raft has at least one fan because Eddie liked his performance in RED LIGHT. I was pleased to learn that Barbara Stanwyck is Eddie`s favorite, and I second the motion.How would we know that THE WINDOW was filmed in NYC in the late fall when the weather was colder. Yet the movie takes place in the summer. Humphrey Bogart feeling uncomfortable while making THE TWO MRS. CARROLL`S and CONFLICT with the much younger Alexis Smith because of his recent marriage to Lauren Bacall. Eddie`s comments on the restoration of WOMAN ON THE RUN and TOO LATE FOR TEARS were highly imformative. I have watched his you tube interviews from the SF Film Noir site.The interview he conducted with Michael Lindsay-Hogg about Michael`s mother Geraldine Fitzgerald and his connection to Orson Welles stirred me on to buy Michael`s autobiography LUCK AND CIRCUMSTANCE.Eddie, you may not wear your fedora, but I have noticed that you change your ties every week. Keep up the good work Eddie, and thank you from an older dame.

• Like 5

Well, they kinda did it with Art Carney in The Late Show, but there werent any elderly femme fatales in it.......I could see it done as a comedy

Well, they kinda did it with Art Carney in The Late Show, but there werent any elderly femme fatales in it.......I could see it done as a comedy

My mother was in a nursing home in her final days, and there's absolutely NO material for comedy in that environment.

I wasnt talking about infirm people. The private eye and femme fatale(s) would have to be able to get around or there wouldnt be any film. More like a golden age center (or whatever they call them now).......

I wasnt talking about infirm people. The private eye and femme fatale(s) would have to be able to get around or there wouldnt be any film. More like a golden age center (or whatever they call them now).......

"Retirement communities"? My condo is considered a "naturally occurring retirement community".

• Like 1

i have been really enjoying Eddie Muller as a host. he's has  alot of noir knowledge and helped restore Too Late For Tears. He gets an A+ as a host for me

• Like 1

he is an extremely natural writer, & I really recommend reading his book "Dark City"; which I assume is still in print. It's wonderfully laid out and has a lot of pictures both in color and black and white and he writes about film noir in just a lovely, dark, twisted, poetic way. I don't think he is as confident yet with his delivery in front of the camera, but I beg and plead with TCM to continue and keep him and give him a chance, because anyone as smart as he is can figure it out and I think he would be a valuable addition.

PS - they need to start diversifying their host selection.

• Like 3

and as far as those who have introed on TCM, for the record, I'd place him far above Broderick and Bracco, but maybe 3 points lower than Winona- basically on the same plane as Cher, but less stiff. Winona was fabulous.

#ComebackWinona.

but in time I think Eddie Muller could be on a Chris Isaak level and Chris Isaak is enough for me.

#BringBackChrisIsaak

• Like 1

"Retirement communities"? My condo is considered a "naturally occurring retirement community".

LOL.

I think Eddie Mueller is doing a great job which is more than I can say about many other of the guest hosts.  He's enthusiastic, knowledgeable and smooth.  My only objection is the lack of a decent set for he and other guest hosts to work from. The tacky "nothing is behind them but a sea of blue or green nothingness" is unworthy of TCM though in these days of TCM "austerity" nothing surprises me.  And, isn't Mueller based in LA?  It seems studio space (or a cool LA 1940's/1950's noiresque location)

would have been very easy to rent. It's a shame, with an entire summer dedicated to noir, TCM could not do a better job of presenting the host. 

Lydecker

You'd think they could come up with a decent set. Didnt have to be too elaborate.........

i have been really enjoying Eddie Muller as a host. he's has  alot of noir knowledge and helped restore Too Late For Tears. He gets an A+ as a host for me

If they had Muller on every Friday, with all-day Friday noirs, 52 weeks a year, that would be just fine with me.

• Like 5

he is an extremely natural writer, & I really recommend reading his book "Dark City"; which I assume is still in print. It's wonderfully laid out and has a lot of pictures both in color and black and white and he writes about film noir in just a lovely, dark, twisted, poetic way. I don't think he is as confident yet with his delivery in front of the camera, but I beg and plead with TCM to continue and keep him and give him a chance, because anyone as smart as he is can figure it out and I think he would be a valuable addition.

PS - they need to start diversifying their host selection.

It would be wonderful if he could host a Noir of the Week type of show. Something like the (now shopworn) Essentials

• Like 1

Yeah, me too.

Also he has a good voice and a good presentation style. Plus, he looks a little like a really smart private detective. :)

• Like 1

If they had Muller on every Friday, with all-day Friday noirs, 52 weeks a year, that would be just fine with me.

Me, too.  I am going to really miss the All Day Friday Noirs when July ends.  

Lydecker

You'd think they could come up with a decent set. Didnt have to be too elaborate.........

When I think of the great LA locations they could have used!  Really a great opportunity wasted. The Formosa immediately 

comes to mind.