Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eddie Mueller, Noir Host

Quoi? 

BeverlyHillbillies_620.jpg

What do these folks have to do with anything?  film noir ? Eddie Muller?  Led Zepplin? ( - wait, didn't  Jethro have a black dog? )

Cheese?

Ok, this thread must have taken one of the most off-topic tangents I've ever seen on these boards. And that's really saying something.  Vraiment.

Not only off-topic but also off-language. Anyone for some Swahili?

• Like 2

Has it already been pointed out that his name is Eddie Muller, not Mueller? 

Okay, here's your basic cheat sheet for all things Coogan's Bluff, Hub and Hollywood:

Don Mueller (MYOOL-er)

Kevin Millar  (Mill-AR)

Bill Muellar (MILL-er)

Eddie Muller (MULL-er)

To les madames, Cavegirl and Wonderly, your French is swell and maybe you ladies should cohost the next TCM noirfest? Having reread the original post by Cavegirl on this topic I must admit after reflection that I have to agree concerning the host being sub-par. By all accounts it would seem that American opportunism has perpetuated a group of noir advocates who have co-opted the original concept of Black Film as coined by French cinema historians, and are purveying many films in a self-serving way to perhaps make a buck on their outside agendas with little discernible background knowledge of film as a whole, or French film criticism either. Being a proper host to me would require more than a perfunctory rehashing of film plotlines, and anecdotal stories which could be found online. I think the true historian has a love of the genre without using it to promote one’s own work or subsidiary ventures that would give them a cut from other avenues. Sadly I see this too much in many of what passes for film noir online sites or authors of books which seem only to reflect knowledge in a tiny niche of dark film. Being that French critics used the term roman noir to describe British Gothic novels and later retagged earlier German films retroactively as noir prototypes according to their new rationale it seems the new breed does not fully understand the roots of black film in French or European poetic realism, or romantic fatalism of the archetype inspired by black drama of the style of Byronic reason, in which he inculcated the desire to feel the sensation of being alive even in pain. Perhaps this Summer of Darkness series was aimed at only the newbie to film but still one wonders why references to the works of Carne and Prevert with Gabin, or even literary antecedents like Hans Heinz Ewers who contributed the iconography of the femme fatale to the world were so absent. All in all, I think next time a host who is more-well versed in film as a whole and world cinema, who could put the black film into context instead of placing almost any crime drama shot at night as an example, would be preferable. To all those who were pleased with the hosting duties performed, I apologize but I did hope for a more scholarly host with more chutzpah on-screen. Too bad Jeanne Moreau was not available.

Okay, here's your basic cheat sheet for all things Coogan's Bluff, Hub and Hollywood:

Don Mueller (MYOOL-er)

Kevin Millar  (Mill-AR)

Bill Muellar (MILL-er)

Eddie Muller (MULL-er)

..and Martin Mull

Stu Miller

John Mellencamp

Watermelon

Andrew Mellon 

Apropos of this topic you forgot the twenty mules of Borax fame and also the ones that Ann Sothern wore in The Blue Gardenia when she went to bed in her clothes after her date with Ray. Too bad she left her black pumps at his place. Also Muhlenberg County is a nice place to visit for anyone into noir.

Meine Theorie ist, dass einige Menschen, vorausgesetzt der name Muller

ist Deutsch, dachte, es war ein Umlaut in der ursprünglichen deutschen,

die es gibt, und so fügte eine e an den Namen. Natürlich die richtige

Schreibweise ist Muller. Ja in der Tat.

So you're saying that for any name that isn't Anglo-Saxon, it's excusable to blow it?

No. I'm not sure why the OP was confused about the spelling of

his name. The Summer of Darkness sure got enough pr for folks

to know how his name was spelled. I just thought that the added

e might be due to the possible German derivation of his name.

I was hoping that you were going to respond to me in Swedish.

No. I'm not sure why the OP was confused about the spelling of

his name. The Summer of Darkness sure got enough pr for folks

to know how his name was spelled. I just thought that the added

e might be due to the possible German derivation of his name.

Well, if you'd read this entire thread  ( not that that's required, I don't want to sound all finger-waggy), or even just all the posts by the original poster, you'd have seen that she misspelt  (or "misspelled", take your pick...one of the things I actually like about the English language, its random inconsistency ...butIdigress...)

....anyway, she misspelt Eddie Muller's name on purpose (or so she claims, and I believe her), apparently by way of setting some kind of internet forum booby trap, waiting to see if people noticed the "mistake", or if we were all too dumb and plebian and unwashed to spot it.

Personally, I think that smacks a little of smugness, or smart-a s s -ness, or something along those lines.  But, a chacun  son gout.

• Like 1

By the way, I've had it with the foreign language thing here. Ok, I admit, I only know French ( and that not very well), so I realize it looks like now that German and Swedish and Swahili are being introduced, I'm throwing in the towel.

But I was getting sick of all the French business anyway. What the frig, this is an English language website, and I think it's a bit pretentious to start throwing posts in other languages all over the place.

J'arrete.

It's fun once in a while. I do like these translation sites, even if they

are sometimes inaccurate. This way one does not have to worry

about verb conjugations, tenses, gender and number agreement

that are part of la langue francaise.

I agree, especially since there are quite a number of genders these days. It's enough to make one tense about conjugal relations. Or binary relations. Something like that, anyway.

(See how meme en anglais we can be incomprehensible.) :huh:

• Like 1

Yeah well, would somebody please explain to me(in good ol' plain English, btw) how and why in those "romance languages", some freakin' inanimate object CAN have a "gender" in the FIRST place???

Sorry, but somethin' like a CHAIR having a "gender" is just, well, DUMB!  it's a freakin' CHAIR for crissake, and used by BOTH freakin' genders, now ain't IT???

(...okay, okay...I suppose somethin' like this MIGHT BE a "cute" and "quaint" little concept...but STILL, it just doesn't make any sense at ALL in this day and age, now does IT?!!!)  

;)

Yeah well, would somebody please explain to me(in good ol' plain English, btw) how and why in those "romance languages", some freakin' inanimate object CAN have a "gender" in the FIRST place???

Sorry, but somethin' like a CHAIR having a "gender" is just, well, DUMB!  it's a freakin' CHAIR for crissake, and used by BOTH freakin' genders, now ain't IT???

(...okay, okay...I suppose somethin' like this MIGHT BE a "cute" and "quaint" little concept...but STILL, it just doesn't make any sense at ALL in this day and age, now does IT?!!!)  

;)

Okay, here you go. Ma femme est une Frogette, and this is how she explains it, in one E-Z lesson:

lazboy-300x224.jpg

LE CHAISE

3336FB1E.jpg

LA CHAISE

• Like 4

;)

Was this a set up?  Are you now the straight-man for Andy M?

It's quite an act!!!!!!   :D

Was this a set up?  Are you now the straight-man for Andy M?

It's quite an act!!!!!!   :D

LOL

Yeah, but wait 'til ya see Andy and my's new spin on the old "Who's On First" routine, Bogie!

(...we're plannin' on first tryin' it out in Branson Missouri before we take it to Vegas) 

By the way, I've had it with the foreign language thing here. Ok, I admit, I only know French ( and that not very well), so I realize it looks like now that German and Swedish and Swahili are being introduced, I'm throwing in the towel.

But I was getting sick of all the French business anyway. What the frig, this is an English language website, and I think it's a bit pretentious to start throwing posts in other languages all over the place.

J'arrete.

I don't want to open the floodgates, but where does it say in the bylaws that this is an ENGLISH language website?

I don't want to open the floodgates, but where does it say in the bylaws that this is an ENGLISH language website?

It's in the moderators contract not to have to interpret other languages besides English. This way they can avoid discussions of who is behaving like a pendejo or a dummkopf in cinematic splendor.

An interesting challenge, coming from you, DGF, since you've been the most vociferous  in your complaints here about the use of French  (and other languages.)

Are we allowed to post in Hebrew or are non-Roman alphabet languages frowned upon?

Hebrew is allowed, why not, everything else is. SansFin has occasionally posted on these boards in Cyrillic letters, which I think maybe look like this (but I just copied from wikipedia, so can't confirm. Maybe SansFin can.)

А аБ бВ вà 㥠ґД дЕ еЄ єЖ жЗ зИ иІ іЇ їЙ йК кЛ лМ мН нО оП пР рС сТ тУ уФ фХ хЦ цЧ чШ шЩ щЬ ьЮ юЯ я

Hebrew is allowed, why not, everything else is. SansFin has occasionally posted on these boards in Cyrillic letters, which I think maybe look like this (but I just copied from wikipedia, so can't confirm. Maybe SansFin can.)

А аБ бВ вà 㥠ґД дЕ еЄ єЖ жЗ зИ иІ іЇ їЙ йК кЛ лМ мН нО оП пР рС сТ тУ уФ фХ хЦ цЧ чШ шЩ щЬ ьЮ юЯ я

It' somewhat troubling that the visually challenged are not able to enjoy the scintillating exchanges on these boards. How about some posts in Braille?