Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eddie Mueller, Noir Host

Hey gotta go with Gordoncole’s take on Muller being no film noir expert. I’d say Muller is more like the Cliff Notes version but this would be an insult to Cliff Notes cuz they are actually more deep. He’s more like the comic book Classic Illustrated spokesperson for these movies which is probably why when Cole started the thread he was referencing the original French source material as being way superior to these latter day experts like Muller and others and their agendas. There was some question here about the real spelling of Muller’s name but I don’t think that Muller even is his real name. Seems like it is something like Raskolnikovich or sumpin but no matter what the name he ain’t no Raymond Chandler nowise. For those who like him maybe they like their whiskey watered down also not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hey gotta go with Gordoncole’s take on Muller being no film noir expert. I’d say Muller is more like the Cliff Notes version but this would be an insult to Cliff Notes cuz they are actually more deep. He’s more like the comic book Classic Illustrated spokesperson for these movies which is probably why when Cole started the thread he was referencing the original French source material as being way superior to these latter day experts like Muller and others and their agendas. There was some question here about the real spelling of Muller’s name but I don’t think that Muller even is his real name. Seems like it is something like Raskolnikovich or sumpin but no matter what the name he ain’t no Raymond Chandler nowise. For those who like him maybe they like their whiskey watered down also not that there's anything wrong with that.

Did you know TCM is now on Facebook and Twitter? ;)

For a serious take on Muller's motives check out the New York Times article by Wendell Jamieson which I just read from January 29, 2007 where it is said that:

"Mr. Muller, an author and film noir aficianado dreamed up the film festival five years ago as a way to increase visibility for the Film Noir Foundation which he runs, which works to restore the movies, and to promote his own books".

The operative words are "to promote his own books". Even a low level operative from the Pinkertons could figure out that all other motives are mostly window dressing to make it all look egalitarian. By the way I don't do Facebook or Twitter.

This is the second inference in this thread (by two different posters) that Eddie Muller is not his real name and that he was born with another name.  Can anyone show us where this is true and why it might be important?

This is the second inference in this thread (by two different posters) that Eddie Muller is not his real name and that he was born with another name.  Can anyone show us where this is true and why it might be important?

I have it on the strictest of authority that Eddie Muller was born Hildegard Swenson of Rochester, Minnesota.

• Like 3

Hey gotta go with Gordoncole’s take on Muller being no film noir expert. I’d say Muller is more like the Cliff Notes version but this would be an insult to Cliff Notes cuz they are actually more deep.  [... snip ...]

Of course, Cliff notes are "more deep." Cliff notes have pages and pages to them. Muller had a few minutes before and after the movie to have his say. What do you expect, he should conduct a seminar in that trice of time.

• Like 2

For a serious take on Muller's motives check out the New York Times article by Wendell Jamieson which I just read from January 29, 2007 where it is said that:

"Mr. Muller, an author and film noir aficianado dreamed up the film festival five years ago as a way to increase visibility for the Film Noir Foundation which he runs, which works to restore the movies, and to promote his own books".

The operative words are "to promote his own books". Even a low level operative from the Pinkertons could figure out that all other motives are mostly window dressing to make it all look egalitarian. By the way I don't do Facebook or Twitter.

And RO and Ben M. don't have their own agendas.

Please.

By the way, you're really missing something.

I have it on the strictest of authority that Eddie Muller was born Hildegard Swenson of Rochester, Minnesota.

LOL

Say Lorna, shouldn't you have finished that sentence with, "doncha know" ???

(...yeah, and then with somethin' like, "Oh, you BETCHA"!!!)

LOL

Say Lorna, shouldn't you have finished that sentence with, "doncha know" ???

(...yeah, and then with somethin' like, "Oh, you BETCHA"!!!)

Make sure you follow up the "oh, you betcha" by offering them some "hot dish." 

Uff da!

• Like 1

True. In fact, he used to go by Eddie "Rochester" Muller, in honor of his birthplace. He dropped it because people kept confusing him with Eddie "Rochester" Anderson. Even Mr. Benny might have been confused.

• Like 1

True. In fact, he used to go by Eddie "Rochester" Muller, in honor of his birthplace. He dropped it because people kept confusing him with Eddie "Rochester" Anderson. Even Mr. Benny might have been confused.

jack_benny.jpg

"Now cut that out!"

• Like 1

Horse apples!

You realize that he's going to look at this thread.

I think Eddie was a great host, I've read his Dark City the Lost World of Film Noir and also his hard boiled novel The Distance, both were great, an his commentaries on various Noir DVDs are a hoot. 

The beliefs of a contingent of folk who are too lazy to even look up anything as to its veracity [which is available online] leads me to have no desire to waste my time trying to convince those who resist using their “eyes to see and ears to hear” as Dickens would say. This social experiment was fascinating and I want to thank Mr Fuster and Mr. Cole for at least getting the point, and Gordon for the rock and roll analogies which were apt. Proselytizing Mr. Muller as a black film expert is akin to those who believe that Dick Clark is the original and heartfelt purveyor of rock and roll, instead of Alan Freed. Anyone who writes a book on film noir called “Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women” would probably also write an exegesis of Samuel Beckett’s play “Waiting for Godot” and think it is about two men and what fun it is to sit on a park bench daily. I thank Muller for proving his inadequacy in such modes by his reducing of a topic to utter and sublime innocuousness and for proving me right. Due to my love of TCM and all things related to it, my goal was to elevate them to seeking a higher water mark next time they choose a host for such an erudite topic. Perfection may not be possible, but with the thousands of film fans around even a non-pro from the streets might be a better choice. And for those who doubt my contention that Muller is no film expert or noir theoretician, I suggest subjecting him to a movie test much like the one extolled in the film “Diner” wherein Steve Guttenberg would not marry his girlfriend unless she passed a football quiz behind closed doors. That way we can separate the boys from the men [or women of film for that matter] and find a proper host.

HEY! Speaking of "Steve Guttenberg" and "original purveyors of", CG...Any truth to the rumor that says Steve's great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was the original purveyor of the movable type, but somewhere along the line one of those NOT so great grandfathers of his added another "T"s to their family name for no good reason?

(...and while you're formulating an answer to THIS, please also take the time to consider the thought that the amount of time TCM gave Eddie for his wraparounds, and as they pretty much do to ALL their presenters, really isn't and never is enough time to get into more the minutiae and esoterica of any of the films the various and sundry presenters might actually wish to present to us the viewing public, and of which might they had, might have shown Eddie to be just a LITTLE more well-versed in his subject matter than it appears you'd like to give him credit for?)

;)

Hello, Darling. Oops I mean Dargo.

Following in the footsteps of TCM contributors to this thread, I refuse to even contemplate looking up online if Guttenberg is related to the type family. I wonder if Hemingway used movable type to print up his book, "A Movable Feast"?

Why should I be inquisitive and find out the truth about a subject, while it is so much more fun to just speak off the top of one's head. Why I ever read the bulk of writings from Cahiers du Cinema is now beyond me.

But being the hard-nosed chick I am, I duly believe that any self-professed expert [and I use the term loosely] as Muller advertises himself, should be able to speak extemporaneously about his preferred subject matter and be interesting and the amount of time given him by TCM is not the problem.

Personally I don't think he even would know what noir is or is not, without a noir thesaurus.

I give credit where credit is due...as in saying you are the wit of the TCM message boards and a refuge for all with a sense of humor.

I don't have one currently but hope to acquire one by reading "The Dummy's Guide to Humor" tonite.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hello, Darling. Oops I mean Dargo.

Following in the footsteps of TCM contributors to this thread, I refuse to even contemplate looking up online if Guttenberg is related to the type family. I wonder if Hemingway used movable type to print up his book, "A Movable Feast"?

Why should I be inquisitive and find out the truth about a subject, while it is so much more fun to just speak off the top of one's head. Why I ever read the bulk of writings from Cahiers du Cinema is now beyond me.

But being the hard-nosed chick I am, I duly believe that any self-professed expert [and I use the term loosely] as Muller advertises himself, should be able to speak extemporaneously about his preferred subject matter and be interesting and the amount of time given him by TCM is not the problem.

Personally I don't think he even would know what noir is or is not, without a noir thesaurus.

I give credit where credit is due...as in saying you are the wit of the TCM message boards and a refuge for all with a sense of humor.

I don't have one currently but hope to acquire one by reading "The Dummy's Guide to Humor" tonite.

Cheers!

Why, thank you, CG! That's quite a compliment there. ;)

(...though I understand the British press version of the book you mentioned, "The Dummy's Guide to Humour" has chapters in which the topic of 'understated/droll' humor is covered in much more detail than its American press version...though of course, this shouldn't come as any surprise at all, huh!)

***edited due to an initial misspelling...that was supposed to be "droll" up there, NOT "DROOL"....eeh, no big deal, as I often drool while attempting to be droll...though I gotta admit that kind'a undercuts my message sometimes and really isn't a good look at all, ya know...must be the American in me***

Edited by Dargo

HEY! Speaking of "Steve Guttenberg" and "original purveyors of", CG...Any truth to the rumor that says Steve's great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather was the original purveyor of the movable type, but somewhere along the line one of those NOT so great grandfathers of his added another "T"s to their family name for no good reason?

(...and while you're formulating an answer to THIS, please also take the time to consider the thought that the amount of time TCM gave Eddie for his wraparounds, and as they pretty much do to ALL their presenters, really isn't and never is enough time to get into more the minutiae and esoterica of any of the films the various and sundry presenters might actually wish to present to us the viewing public, and of which might they had, might have shown Eddie to be just a LITTLE more well-versed in his subject matter than it appears you'd like to give him credit for?)

;)

I agree.

The heavy-handiness (and hard-nosedness) seems a little over the top based on the sample we get of Muller. Such far-reaching conclusions, oof. It might have been better if there had been one-on-ones with RO prior to each movie instead of the traditional wraparound. Oh, but that's why they didn't I hear the naysayers crying out, he doesn't know enough. Maybe or maybe not, but that certainly would have given us something better to go on to justify (or not) the overwrought opinions of the contrarians.

There's a British version of this book, Dargo?

Does it have any attendant dvd's with commentary by maybe John Cleese? 

I have already taken a course by him called "How to Be Irritating" and passed with flying colors.

I really did not have to study much to get a superlative grade of Summa **** Laude, as my idol was always the other Eddie, the one who is talented namely Eddie Haskell.

And no, he is NOT related to Molly Haskell or even Peter Haskell, but perhaps Haskell Wexler.

To be sure, drollery is an art form, but drooling is not except by someone like Cinderella's step-sister, Droolcilla.

Goodnight, Sweet Clown Prince as John Decker would say.

The beliefs of a contingent of folk who are too lazy to even look up anything as to its veracity [which is available online] leads me to have no desire to waste my time trying to convince those who resist using their “eyes to see and ears to hear” as Dickens would say. This social experiment was fascinating and I want to thank Mr Fuster and Mr. Cole for at least getting the point, and Gordon for the rock and roll analogies which were apt. Proselytizing Mr. Muller as a black film expert is akin to those who believe that Dick Clark is the original and heartfelt purveyor of rock and roll, instead of Alan Freed. Anyone who writes a book on film noir called “Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women” would probably also write an exegesis of Samuel Beckett’s play “Waiting for Godot” and think it is about two men and what fun it is to sit on a park bench daily. I thank Muller for proving his inadequacy in such modes by his reducing of a topic to utter and sublime innocuousness and for proving me right. Due to my love of TCM and all things related to it, my goal was to elevate them to seeking a higher water mark next time they choose a host for such an erudite topic. Perfection may not be possible, but with the thousands of film fans around even a non-pro from the streets might be a better choice. And for those who doubt my contention that Muller is no film expert or noir theoretician, I suggest subjecting him to a movie test much like the one extolled in the film “Diner” wherein Steve Guttenberg would not marry his girlfriend unless she passed a football quiz behind closed doors. That way we can separate the boys from the men [or women of film for that matter] and find a proper host.

Oh, CaveGirl, I'm so glad you're back. Please stick around and enlighten us poor stupid fools who are too dim-witted and too uneducated  - not to mention lazy  - to even begin to  understand a complicated and nuanced concept such as flim nyoor ( did I spell that right?)

We were lost for those days you were away. O, CaveGirl, all I ask is that you remain on the TCM boards and help guide us unenlightened plebian idiots to the light - or, I suppose, dark.

You are so much more intelligent than us wretched unsophisticated cretins.  We need your superior cerebral abilities to instruct and delight us ( oh, wait, that was Philip Sidney. Well, you can do it too.)

A thousand thanks.  or should I say, mille merci.

• Like 3

You may question Dick Clark's musical interests, sincerity, or motives, but there is no overestimating his contribution to the growth of rock and roll and exposure he gave to black artists.

• Like 1

You may question Dick Clark's musical interests, sincerity, or motives, but there is no overestimating his contribution to the growth of rock and roll and exposure he gave to black artists.

Uh, actually unless one is schooled in the history of rock and roll, as told in a Dick Clark autobiography, one would never contend that he had anything to do with helping black artists during that period. He actually was one of the major figures in the Payola scandals and due to his lawyering up, was able to escape their clutches when the ASCAP strongarms wanted to knock the BMI group out of the market. Being that BMI had assembled major black rhythm and blues artists during a time when their work was not appreciated in the late forties by white programmers, their influx during the early rock and roll days with others even on shows like the white "Your Hit Parade" having Snooky Lanson trying to sing "Hound Dog" made them desirous of getting BMI and its helpers out of the market so as to stop the influx of black artists. The person who was responsible for black artists going mainstream beyond race stations was Alan Freed, who for his trouble was targeted to be taken down by the majors. Anyone who knows anything about the history of rock and roll, would give Dick Clark credit for signing up a bunch of white Philly lightweights who recorded on his own labels and mucked up rock and roll till the Beatles showed up.