Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eddie Mueller, Noir Host

I have a minor showbiz theory that one person usually takes on

the mantle of the expert or the leading light in a certain field.

Martha Stewart used to be the doyenne of most things domestic,

even though she might not have been as knowledgeable as others.

But to the general public she was the "go to" person on the subject.

I think Eddie Muller is a bit in that mold. He is, for movie buffs, since

the general public isn't interested that much in nwar, the noir "go

to" person. There are likely more knowledgeable people on the

subject, but he's seen as the nwar guy. Of course being so takes

effort and a bit of luck, but it usually pays off.

Vautrin, you said a mouthful and it was very succinct. Could you now say it in French as I find it so soothing. Just kidding. Thanks for some logic and insights.

Postscript:

If Dick Clark had anything positive to do with the history of rock and roll, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would be situated in Philadelphia instead of where Alan Freed had his Moondog Matinee radio show in Cleveland, Ohio.

I rest my case.

Uh, actually unless one is schooled in the history of rock and roll, as told in a Dick Clark autobiography, one would never contend that he had anything to do with helping black artists during that period. He actually was one of the major figures in the Payola scandals and due to his lawyering up, was able to escape their clutches when the ASCAP strongarms wanted to knock the BMI group out of the market. Being that BMI had assembled major black rhythm and blues artists during a time when their work was not appreciated in the late forties by white programmers, their influx during the early rock and roll days with others even on shows like the white "Your Hit Parade" having Snooky Lanson trying to sing "Hound Dog" made them desirous of getting BMI and its helpers out of the market so as to stop the influx of black artists. The person who was responsible for black artists going mainstream beyond race stations was Alan Freed, who for his trouble was targeted to be taken down by the majors. Anyone who knows anything about the history of rock and roll, would give Dick Clark credit for signing up a bunch of white Philly lightweights who recorded on his own labels and mucked up rock and roll till the Beatles showed up.

As a "Philly lightweight" myself, maybe I am biased. I am not underestimating Alan Freed's contributions. But Clark, who had a lot of say about who appeared on Bandstand, booked a lot of black artists on the show. Clark also, I  believe, did not have an ownership interest in any particular label. Philly labels such as Chancellor and Cameo-Parkway were owned by others, and DID produce many great songs in the period 1958-1964.

Oh, CaveGirl, I'm so glad you're back. Please stick around and enlighten us poor stupid fools who are too dim-witted and too uneducated  - not to mention lazy  - to even begin to  understand a complicated and nuanced concept such as flim nyoor ( did I spell that right?)

We were lost for those days you were away. O, CaveGirl, all I ask is that you remain on the TCM boards and help guide us unenlightened plebian idiots to the light - or, I suppose, dark.

You are so much more intelligent than us wretched unsophisticated cretins.  We need your superior cerebral abilities to instruct and delight us ( oh, wait, that was Philip Sidney. Well, you can do it too.)

A thousand thanks.  or should I say, mille merci.

I like this - so I'm quoting it just for kicks.

• Like 1

As a "Philly lightweight" myself, maybe I am biased. I am not underestimating Alan Freed's contributions. But Clark, who had a lot of say about who appeared on Bandstand, booked a lot of black artists on the show. Clark also, I  believe, did not have an ownership interest in any particular label. Philly labels such as Chancellor and Cameo-Parkway were owned by others, and DID produce many great songs in the period 1958-1964.

Wow, five (5) sentences, and in one post too. Did you eat your Wheaties (or are you a spinach man?) this morning. As the Paragon of Pithy, this post is certainly is an anomaly.  Quite smooth too. Maybe if you practiced prolixity once in a while we could all have a better idea of your writing, which I expect is quite good.

:)

• Like 2

Wow, five (5) sentences, and in one post too. Did you eat your Wheaties (or are you a spinach man?) this morning. As the Paragon of Pithy, this post is certainly is an anomaly.  Quite smooth too. Maybe if you practiced prolixity once in a while we could all have a better idea of your writing, which I expect is quite good.

:)

Mess around with my hometown, and the words just come spilling out.

The beliefs of a contingent of folk who are too lazy to even look up anything as to its veracity [which is available online] leads me to have no desire to waste my time trying to convince those who resist using their “eyes to see and ears to hear” as Dickens would say. This social experiment was fascinating and I want to thank Mr Fuster and Mr. Cole for at least getting the point, and Gordon for the rock and roll analogies which were apt. Proselytizing Mr. Muller as a black film expert is akin to those who believe that Dick Clark is the original and heartfelt purveyor of rock and roll, instead of Alan Freed. Anyone who writes a book on film noir called “Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women” would probably also write an exegesis of Samuel Beckett’s play “Waiting for Godot” and think it is about two men and what fun it is to sit on a park bench daily. I thank Muller for proving his inadequacy in such modes by his reducing of a topic to utter and sublime innocuousness and for proving me right. Due to my love of TCM and all things related to it, my goal was to elevate them to seeking a higher water mark next time they choose a host for such an erudite topic. Perfection may not be possible, but with the thousands of film fans around even a non-pro from the streets might be a better choice. And for those who doubt my contention that Muller is no film expert or noir theoretician, I suggest subjecting him to a movie test much like the one extolled in the film “Diner” wherein Steve Guttenberg would not marry his girlfriend unless she passed a football quiz behind closed doors. That way we can separate the boys from the men [or women of film for that matter] and find a proper host.

I say horse apples again, you sound as if you have some sort of agenda. 

Dark City Dames was actually a series of interesting interviews conducted by Eddie with the various surviving actresses from the classic Film Noir era, its a great read. 

Go back to your cave.

• Like 2

The beliefs of a contingent of folk who are too lazy to even look up anything as to its veracity [which is available online] leads me to have no desire to waste my time trying to convince those who resist using their “eyes to see and ears to hear” as Dickens would say. This social experiment was fascinating and I want to thank Mr Fuster and Mr. Cole for at least getting the point, and Gordon for the rock and roll analogies which were apt. Proselytizing Mr. Muller as a black film expert is akin to those who believe that Dick Clark is the original and heartfelt purveyor of rock and roll, instead of Alan Freed. Anyone who writes a book on film noir called “Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women” would probably also write an exegesis of Samuel Beckett’s play “Waiting for Godot” and think it is about two men and what fun it is to sit on a park bench daily. I thank Muller for proving his inadequacy in such modes by his reducing of a topic to utter and sublime innocuousness and for proving me right. Due to my love of TCM and all things related to it, my goal was to elevate them to seeking a higher water mark next time they choose a host for such an erudite topic. Perfection may not be possible, but with the thousands of film fans around even a non-pro from the streets might be a better choice. And for those who doubt my contention that Muller is no film expert or noir theoretician, I suggest subjecting him to a movie test much like the one extolled in the film “Diner” wherein Steve Guttenberg would not marry his girlfriend unless she passed a football quiz behind closed doors. That way we can separate the boys from the men [or women of film for that matter] and find a proper host.

So, Monsieur CaveGirl, you do like Eddie Muller or you don't?

folk who are too lazy to even look up anything as to its veracity..... leads me to have no desire to waste my time trying to convince those who resist using their “eyes to see and ears to hear".

He who has ears to hear, let him hear  (Matthew 11:15)

Good thing I didn't use the quotation from Mark instead, ay?

He who has ears to hear, let him hear  (Matthew 11:15)

And which come to THINK of it is the time I told my friend Matt I'd pick him up for our tennis matches tomorrow morning!

(...thanks for the reminder, dark ol' buddy...I owe ya one...I almost forgot!)

And which come to THINK of it is the time I told my friend Matt I'd pick him up for our tennis matches tomorrow morning!

(...thanks for the reminder, dark ol' buddy...I owe ya one...I almost forgot!)

Always here to help.

Yep, thanks to Google Translate, anyone can now pretend to be fluent in anything.

Faking smartness has never been so easy.

Not really, at least with regard with language, trying to get folks to think you're fluent, for example. I'm not fluent in French but I have a degree in it and I've studied enough to know that the google translation here would surely not fool a native French speaker. The translation is too literal, a one-to-one correspondence between the words of the two languages. Google's problem is that it would not know the appropriate French usage to make it truly French. It just translates word for word which is not the proper way to translate. For instance, "aller a" is probably not an acceptable translation for "go to" (in the sense of relying upon). I'm guessing that the very expression "go to" in this sense used doesn't even exist in French. The google machine doesn't know any better. Probably "compter sur ..." (count on) which is pretty literal too but in this case works (but most of the time literal translations like that will not ring true to the native speaker.) The "aller a" is a dead giveaway that the person (or google) is not well versed in the language. The pretense of fluency is thwarted. The whole of that passage is definitely wince worthy, to my eyes and ears anyway.

But I get your overall point, "faking smartness" is far easier today on the Net anyway.

--

• Like 1

Not really, at least with regard with language, trying to get folks to think you're fluent, for example. I'm not fluent in French but I have a degree in it and I've studied enough to know that the google translation here would surely not fool a native French speaker. The translation is too literal, a one-to-one correspondence between the words of the two languages. Google's problem is that it would not know the appropriate French usage to make it truly French. It just translates word for word which is not the proper way to translate. For instance, "aller a" is probably not as an acceptable translation for "go to" (in the sense of relying upon). The google machine doesn't know any better. Probably "compter sur ..." (count on) which is pretty literal too but in this case works (but most of the time literal translations like that will not ring true to the native speaker.) The "aller a" is a dead giveaway that the person (or google) is not well versed in the language. The whole of that passage is definitely wince worthy, to my eyes and ears anyway.

Good to know. I won't use it on anyone who's a native French speaker, then.

Always here to help.

Nah, I would've just used the name Mark instead in my little joke there, of course. ;)

Ah the old "social experiment" card. You know when a speaker has lost an argument and/or is full of it when they pull that card.

• Like 1

So you're not picking anyone up in the morning for tennis??

Do you even own a tennis racket, you fibber?

Why SURE I own a tennis racket, dark!

In fact, years ago while watchin' some old move I learned it can not ONLY be used out on a tennis court with great effectiveness, but can come in mighty handy for straining spaghetti too!

YEAH, kind'a like THIS guy is doin' here...

a839fbb89a4adbe51b250a78d8d25ac6.jpg

• Like 1

Why SURE I own a tennis racket, dark!

In fact, years ago while watchin' some old move I learned it can not ONLY be used out on a tennis court with great effectiveness, but can come in mighty handy for straining spaghetti too!

YEAH, kind'a like THIS guy is doin' here...

a839fbb89a4adbe51b250a78d8d25ac6.jpg

Shirley's looking pretty worried about it. A germiphobe maybe?

• Like 2

...... This social experiment was fascinating and I want to thank Mr Fuster and Mr. Cole for at least getting the point, and Gordon for the rock and roll analogies which were apt. Proselytizing Mr. Muller as a black film expert is akin to those who believe that Dick Clark is the original and heartfelt purveyor of rock and roll, instead of Alan Freed. .....

Actually,I was the one who initially made the rock and roll analogy, although not in the way you'd agree with.  (Oh no ! I ended that sentence with a preposition !)

Not really, at least with regard with language, trying to get folks to think you're fluent, for example. I'm not fluent in French but I have a degree in it and I've studied enough to know that the google translation here would surely not fool a native French speaker. The translation is too literal, a one-to-one correspondence between the words of the two languages. Google's problem is that it would not know the appropriate French usage to make it truly French. It just translates word for word which is not the proper way to translate. For instance, "aller a" is probably not an acceptable translation for "go to" (in the sense of relying upon). I'm guessing that the very expression "go to" in this sense used doesn't even exist in French. The google machine doesn't know any better. Probably "compter sur ..." (count on) which is pretty literal too but in this case works (but most of the time literal translations like that will not ring true to the native speaker.) The "aller a" is a dead giveaway that the person (or google) is not well versed in the language. The pretense of fluency is thwarted. The whole of that passage is definitely wince worthy, to my eyes and ears anyway.

But I get your overall point, "faking smartness" is far easier today on the Net anyway.

--

You have a degree in French, but you are not fluent in French? Is the degree from a correspondence school?

• Like 1

Oh, CaveGirl, I'm so glad you're back. Please stick around and enlighten us poor stupid fools who are too dim-witted and too uneducated  - not to mention lazy  - to even begin to  understand a complicated and nuanced concept such as flim nyoor ( did I spell that right?)

We were lost for those days you were away. O, CaveGirl, all I ask is that you remain on the TCM boards and help guide us unenlightened plebian idiots to the light - or, I suppose, dark.

You are so much more intelligent than us wretched unsophisticated cretins.  We need your superior cerebral abilities to instruct and delight us ( oh, wait, that was Philip Sidney. Well, you can do it too.)

LMREO!!!!!!

Your acerbic wit might drive her right back into the cave.