Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Eddie Mueller, Noir Host

Incidentally, is there ANY film in which ALL the characters have as unattractive personalities as does GILDA?.

tumblr_mayso3rCFH1qkg5u5o1_250.gif

"Personalities?"  I ain't gotta show you no stinkin' personalities!

• Like 1

tumblr_mayso3rCFH1qkg5u5o1_250.gif

"Personalities?"  I ain't gotta show you no stinkin' personalities!

In this case, looks IS everything. Her personality is not exactly engaging, but who cares?

"A BREATH OF FRESH AIR" give me a break. Has anyone seen this guy in person? He is pretty stiff on camera too. Not a bit of warmth there. Three cheers for Osborne and Mankiewicz.

Maybe a few drinks beforehand would do the trick.

"A BREATH OF FRESH AIR" give me a break. Has anyone seen this guy in person? He is pretty stiff on camera too. Not a bit of warmth there. Three cheers for Osborne and Mankiewicz.

Yeah, and RO is an amusement park in a suit.

Where have you seen Eddie in person?

Hey TCM, show RO the door and hire Eddie in his place. Eddie and Ben M. would make a crackerjack team.

Yeah, and RO is an amusement park in a suit.

Where have you seen Eddie in person?

Hey TCM, show RO the door and hire Eddie in his place. Eddie and Ben M. would make a crackerjack team.

RO is nothing like George Costanza, who treated his body as if it was an amusement park.

RO is nothing like George Costanza, who treated his body as if it was an amusement park.

That's true!  :D Or as Estelle intoned, an amuuuuuuuusement park. Good show.

RO paid others to do it. His face looks like The Wind Tunnel.

I was looking at the Film Noir Foundation website.  There is a tinted section on the left which lists all the restorations.  At the bottom it says this:

Rescues
Woman on the Run (1950) (digital copy from 35mm before only print was destroyed)

It looks as if there was some binding requirement to destroy that film.  Is that due to the owner's wishes?  Contractual/legally binding issues made by people who are dead by now?  Difficult to justify.

I think Eddie is wonderful.

I think TCM should fire RO and hire Eddie, who would be an excellent co-host with Ben.

Next week is the last SOD weekend, Eddie? Sorry to hear that, it's been swell. I would have liked Impact, but that's okay. 

You did a wonderful job, thanks to you and TCM for screening some wonderful films. It's been like the old days, when TCM was good.

Need work, Eddie? You'd be a great co-host with Ben, if RO could be convinced to leave.

At any rate, thanks again Eddie.

Next week is the last SOD weekend, Eddie? Sorry to hear that, it's been swell. I would have liked Impact, but that's okay. 

You did a wonderful job, thanks to you and TCM for screening some wonderful films. It's been like the old days, when TCM was good.

Need work, Eddie? You'd be a great co-host with Ben, if RO could be convinced to leave.

At any rate, thanks again Eddie.

If all the members of these boards were polled, I am pretty sure that "film noir" would be the winner for favorite genre. Since these boards are probably representative of total TCM viewership, it is clear that something like these noir Fridays should have a permanent place on the TCM schedule.

• Like 8

If all the members of these boards were polled, I am pretty sure that "film noir" would be the winner for favorite genre. Since these boards are probably representative of total TCM viewership, it is clear that something like these noir Fridays should have a permanent place on the TCM schedule.

lol I better not go there.

I completely agree. 

But I wouldn't take a poll on this board if I were you.

No problem with Arthur Kennedy. 

Are you saying you didn't have a problem with Kennedy's character Alan?     The guy was weak and couldn't make up his mind.  Decide within an hour to either keep the money and work out a plan to avoid exposure OR turnover the money to the authorities.    Also,  leaving that note saying to call the cops if a women picks up the money was low.      

Are you saying you didn't have a problem with Kennedy's character Alan?     The guy was weak and couldn't make up his mind.  Decide within an hour to either keep the money and work out a plan to avoid exposure OR turnover the money to the authorities.    Also,  leaving that note saying to call the cops if a women picks up the money was low.      

In the first instance, he had HER to contend with, she fought him at every turn so there was a personality grapple there ... plus he did love her. He actually had his mind made up but he couldn't convince her.

And why not just say only the name on the ticket can pick up the bag? Isn't that how it works anyway? He didn't trust her, okay, but at least she wouldn't get into a heap of trouble (along with himself) by having the police called. But doing it the way they did, the storytellers allowed for that clever plot maneuver where she quite by happenstance had a rationale for asking that stray guy to pick up the bag. So she lucked out.

Next week is the last SOD weekend, Eddie? Sorry to hear that, it's been swell.

Yes, nine Fridays-- and it just flew by!

I hope all the people who took the online course considered it worth the time and that they learned a lot of new things about this particular genre.

• Like 1

Yes, nine Fridays-- and it just flew by!

I hope all the people who took the online course considered it worth the time and that they learned a lot of new things about this particular genre.

An amazing effort by TCM.

Not sure what prompted it - new management, influx of money - but I hope they realize that some people who watch TCM adore classically classic films and a new face at the intros.

In the first instance, he had HER to contend with, she fought him at every turn so there was a personality grapple there ... plus he did love her. He actually had his mind made up but he couldn't convince her.

And why not just say only the name on the ticket can pick up the bag? Isn't that how it works anyway? He didn't trust her, okay, but at least she wouldn't get into a heap of trouble (along with himself) by having the police called. But doing it the way they did, the storytellers allowed for that clever plot maneuver where she quite by happenstance had a rationale for asking that stray guy to pick up the bag. So she lucked out.

The question DGF asked was: Incidentally, is there ANY film in which ALL the characters have as unattractive personalities as does GILDA?.

I answered,  Too Late for Tears,  and I still feel that way.    I view the husband Alan as an unattractive personality because of his inability to plot a course and stick to that course.    He didn't have to convince Jane.  All he had to do was turnover the money to the police.   Instead he was just too weak to tell her NO so he lead her on.      

PS:  I would add The Maltese Falcon as another film where all the main characters have an unattractive personality.   (the only likeable person is Tom the cop).        Regardless it is still one of my favorite films.

• Like 1

Arthur Kennedy in Too Late for Tears may not be a strong character but he hardly qualifies as my definition of "unattractive" in the same manner as do the three lead characters in Gilda. Nor do the characters of Don DeFore or Kristine Miller (the sister-in-law) qualify as such either. If anything, those are a refreshing contrast to the manipulative, conniving leads in Too Late for Tears. Yes, DeFore is deceptive, too, but it's to solve the mystery of a death, not part of a mad scramble for money.

Eddie Mueller might not agree with this, but I suspect that Eddie Muller would. ;)

• Like 3

An amazing effort by TCM.

Not sure what prompted it 

Not sure either. Maybe because classic crime stories seem to involve modern viewers more than other genres do...? So there may be more of a built-in audience here.

DownGoesFrazier--look at all the "likes" you got on having a "Noir Friday" or the like become a staple of TCM programming--I'd say you have a lot of support on that topic (& yes, I was one of the "likes"). :)

I think you're right about the message board members preferring film noir but I would vote against the idea that we're a good representation of TCM viewership.  We're the talky, argumentative part of the audience.  My mother liked the musicals and romantic dramas but wouldn't have dreamed of discussing any of it on a message board.  My father loved watching the "water rights fights," (westerns) but considered computers a waste of money.

• Like 1

AndreaDoria--Then maybe a rotating spot might be more to your liking--say a typical month has 5 Fridays--On one do noirs--2nd westerns--3rd do musicals--4th do horror/sci/fi-- 5th do silents (any genre).  Just brainstorming here. :)

I think you're right about the message board members preferring film noir but I would vote against the idea that we're a good representation of TCM viewership.  We're the talky, argumentative part of the audience.  My mother liked the musicals and romantic dramas but wouldn't have dreamed of discussing any of it on a message board.  My father loved watching the "water rights fights," (westerns) but considered computers a waste of money.

I agree. Just because there's a large vocal (make that written) crowd of film noir supports on these boards is no guarantee that the TCM viewership community at large (the silent majority) feels as strongly about them. To have film noirs EVERY Friday I suspect would be off putting to many. The idea of devoting Fridays to a specific genre, in general, though, is a good one, breaking it up so that one genre gets attention on one Friday a month, with film noir being one of those picks, of course.

But I'm sure there would be large fans, too, for a pre-code Friday or an adventure Friday or a comedy Friday or horror/sci fi Friday, as well. Take your pick of which genre. I would rarely look in if there was a musical Friday but that's just me. There are lotsa fans of that genre, as well, obviously.

This is a film noir thread on a largely film noir leaning message board. Let's not be too arrogant, however, about the preference of others who choose not to get into debates or arguements about movie preferences here.

• Like 3

AndreaDoria--Then maybe a rotating spot might be more to your liking--say a typical month has 5 Fridays--On one do noirs--2nd westerns--3rd do musicals--4th do horror/sci/fi-- 5th do silents (any genre).  Just brainstorming here. :)

Oh no!  Don't get me wrong!  I was just saying, as TomJH said better, we shouldn't try to speak for the audience at large.  For myself film noir every Friday night would be right up my dark rainy alley.

• Like 2