Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is tcm predisposed to SOTM-izing only those who's films they can easily acquire?

NipkowDisc

How about Robert Newton? can't remember the last time tcm ran Hatter's Castle...if ever  :)

Of course.     This is why 20th Century Fox,  Universal and Columbia stars are NOT featured like Warner,  MGM and RKO stars (with Paramount falling somewhere in between since their catalog of films have multiple owners).

Is tcm predisposed to SOTM-izing only those who's films they can easily acquire?

How about Robert Newton? can't remember the last time tcm ran Hatter's Castle...if ever  :)

Sorry, but the only known copy is too difficult to acquire. It is sealed up in a cave at the top of Mt. Everest, and 5 film researchers have lost their lives trying to acquire it. So it's just too dangerous to acquire.

Sorry, but the only known copy is too difficult to acquire. It is sealed up in a cave at the top of Mt. Everest, and 5 film researchers have lost their lives trying to acquire it. So it's just too dangerous to acquire.

Could you rephrase the above using the word "acquire" one more time.

:P

Chiding you ... as you were once an editor ...

I suppose TCM could have Jamie Gillis, Jack Wrangler, Casey Donovan or Rick Cassidy as a 'Star of the Month' if they're predisposed to SOTM-izing . . . No live interviews, though, as they're all deceased.

I suppose TCM could have Jamie Gillis, Jack Wrangler, Casey Donovan or Rick Cassidy as a 'Star of the Month' if they're predisposed to SOTM-izing . . . No live interviews, though, as they're all deceased.

LOL. I thought Jack Wrangler was still alive? (Margaret Whiting's hubby)

I believe there was a documentary made about Jack Wrangler in 2008.  He died in April 2009 at 62.  I think it was from emphysema. 

I didnt realize that. It was after Whiting died, wasnt it?

Okay, the next person who can find a boo-boo in the title of this thread gets to be a guest programmer. Just be careful what film you choose.

Actually, shouldn't it read "...films it can easily acquire."

[this just occurred to me, I didn't set up the two posts]

If I get to be guest programmer, anything but Hot Spell.

:P

Interesting construction "sotm-izing" ... I had to read the title thread twice just to make sure ...

completely unintended on my part but so help me this may be the last time I ever complain about tcm in any way ever again.

• Like 2

What fun is that? I know the theory that it has more

of an impact to not show it. Not sure about that.

Take Vanishing Point, please. Would your average

male viewer rather see a **** girl riding around

on a motorcycle or have the Peter Fonda clone

say 'Look, there's a **** girl on a motorcycle.'

I would rather 'see' because I like motorcycles.

In reference to the original question, stars who had the lion's share of their work done at Paramount or Universal will probably never be SOTM. Fox offloaded a bunch of its films to TCM when Fox Movie Channel went down the drain, so Fox stars are now fair game. Columbia/Sony has always played ball with TCM. United Artists films have been pretty easy for TCM to get their hands on too. I'd like to see TCM make Robert Montgomery SOTM again, since he got his last shot in January 2006. However, they have gotten more into modern stars so that is unfortunately not likely.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings