Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Theodore Bikel 1924-2015. R&H wrote "Edelweiss" for him.

Swithin

The great singer-actor-humanitarian Theodore Bikel has died in Los Angeles, aged 91. Nominated for an Oscar for The Defiant Ones, he is also the man for whom Rodgers & Hammerstein wrote the song "Edelweiss," to showcase his folk singing talents as Captain Georg von Trapp in the original Broadway cast of The Sound of Music. He had an amazing career in stage, screen, and television and was honored for his dedication to Jewish tradition and for recording Israeli songs. His early film career included a role in The African Queen.

• Like 3

It was only sometime within the past year that I realized the sheriff from THE DEFIANT ONES and the dialect "detective" from MY FAIR LADY were played by the same actor. That is some range. And then looking him up on imdb, I was amazed to discover (at the time) that he was still alive. Looking over his resume, I think there are only two other films of his I've ever seen, THE AFRICAN QUEEN and I WANT TO LIVE! His career was very heavily weighted toward TV work practically from the beginning. I see he played a butcher in two different episodes of ALL IN THE FAMILY, which I'm sure I've seen, as I watched every episode of that series multiple times back in the earliest days of it being syndicated, but it has now been many years since I've seen any of those episodes, so I don't remember him.

Bikel also was well known for his performances as Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof." The role was created on Broadway by Zero Mostel and played by Topol in Norman Jewison's 1971 screen version. Other actors who appeared as the character over the years: Herschel Bernardi, Harry Goz and Leonard Nimoy.

• Like 1

I always dug Mr. Bikel.  As I used to watch the old folk music TV show "Hootenanny" on ABC, he often also showed up there. 

That was before I ever saw "The Defiant Ones", and was pleasantly surprised to find out he acted.  THEN it struck me!

HE was the guy who ALSO shrunk to two inches tall at the end of that TWILIGHT ZONE episode!

I'll surely miss him.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I always dug Mr. Bikel.  As I used to watch the old folk music TV show "Hootenanny" on ABC, he often also showed up there. 

That was before I ever saw "The Defiant Ones", and was pleasantly surprised to find out he acted.  THEN it struck me!

HE was the guy who ALSO shrunk to two inches tall at the end of that TWILIGHT ZONE episode!

I'll surely miss him.

Sepiatone

a very good actor.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings