Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Outro to "The Women"

TCM_1

I fell asleep just before the outro to "The Women" tonight and when I woke up Robert Osborne was saying something that Norma Shearer did in the picture that he took exception to, but then followed it by saying "but we'll forgive her for that."

I'm curious what it was. If anybody knows, I'd appreciate the scoop.

Thanks in advance.

Ah, thanks loads! I thought I heard Robert say something about Norma Shearer being silent on a staircase or something like that, but I was half asleep and probably mistaken.

Thanks loads for the quick response! 8.gif

Yes, she launched a "silent" smiling, glad, arms-out motion to embrace her husband, (off screen) happily. he said he'd forgive her for the silent-movie gesture, since she started in them. Yeah, i didn't care for his comment, it wasn't that alien a gesture, considering the husband (and all the men) were only off-screen. --how was she supposed to make an embrace-happily-gesture? they couldn't SHOW any of the men! She had to compensate, and do all the acting for 2 people.Kind of picky remark of Osborne, I thought. I thought her acting was ok, considering the story was so soap-opera and comic. It WAS so dishy and satirical, but the OBJECTS of all the fuss, the men, were never on screen. Must have been rather difficult to write this, AND act in it! Congrats to all the Women, one of my favorite movies! :D 

• Like 1

Thanks for the additional info, Doreet!

By the way, when you said in your post "Yes, she launched a 'silent' smiling, glad, arms-out motion to embrace her husband, (off screen) happily" was that a direct quote from Robert Osborne? And if so, it sounds like his remark might have been prompted by something Joan Collins said about Norma Shearer's performance?

Yes, she launched a "silent" smiling, glad, arms-out motion to embrace her husband, (off screen) happily. he said he'd forgive her for the silent-movie gesture, since she started in them. Yeah, i didn't care for his comment, it wasn't that alien a gesture, considering the husband (and all the men) were only off-screen. --how was she supposed to make an embrace-happily-gesture? they couldn't SHOW any of the men! She had to compensate, and do all the acting for 2 people.Kind of picky remark of Osborne, I thought. I thought her acting was ok, considering the story was so soap-opera and comic. It WAS so dishy and satirical, but the OBJECTS of all the fuss, the men, were never on screen. Must have been rather difficult to write this, AND act in it! Congrats to all the Women, one of my favorite movies! :D 

I feel the comment was spot-on.    That last scene looked cheap and overdone.   But I don't fault actors for this, but instead the director, Cukor.    After he saw the print of this, he should have reshot it as well as changed the music.      My wife didn't like the ending either since she felt all the things the husband did were just thrown out the window.    OK,  we weren't expecting a 'bummer' type ending but something that communicated that the couple were still in love and going to see if they could work it out would have better instead of this silly over romantic,  this women looks like a fool, type ending.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings