Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poster Art Not Quite Reflecting the Film Actual Content.

lydecker

I've always thought that one of the reasons that It's A Wonderful Life didn't do all that well at the box office when it first appeared in theaters is that the poster art made it seem like such a happy, happy, movie.  No hint of the protagonist's "I hate my life and this crummy little town" attitude, potential suicides or arrests can be gleaned from this artwork! Imagine the shock of audiences when they watched wholesome Jimmy Stewart thrashing poor old Uncle Billy and trashing small town America. "But, hey", the marketing department no doubt thought:  "We got them into the theater, didn't we??"

Here's a link to the IAWL poster since the powers that be forbad my posting the artwork in this thread for reasons only known to them.

https://www.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-37013/It_s_a_Wonderful_Life.html

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Lydecker

Here's a link to the IAWL poster since the powers that be forbad my posting the artwork in this thread for reasons only known to them.

https://www.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-37013/It_s_a_Wonderful_Life.html

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Lydecker

I was successful test-posting a poster from your linked page. Perhaps it was just temporary - there were a couple other features here that weren't working a few hours ago but are now.

The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books and other series also had covers that often depicted scenes different from what the book described; a movie poster or a book cover is designed to get you to buy a movie ticket or pick up the book and purchase it, period.

The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books and other series also had covers that often depicted scenes different from what the book described; a movie poster or a book cover is designed to get you to buy a movie ticket or pick up the book and purchase it, period.

True that.

• Like 1

Now this one is questionable. The babe in Robby's arms is nowhere to be found in the movie, along with the background images, but the inserts to the right are scenes from the film.

vYk77GY.jpg

yeah, and whoever would think Robby could hold his legs that far apart. :lol:

and notice how the two slanted gyros in his transparent head cap are suppose to come across like eyes and the orange-colored instrumentation a nose, mouth and a temple hickey. :) bob kinoshita must've loved this. :huh:

Here's one - not too drastic. The main problem I see here is Bogie appears to be from The Petrified Forest.. not The Maltese Falcon - and Mary Astor appears even more beautiful in this poster.

0mAGoVv.jpg

Right.  If not Petrified Forest, they surely grabbed the Bogie shot from some other WB gangster poster.  Mary looks great!

e948_classic_star_wars_movie_posters1.jp

Preincess Leia never showed any leg and cleavage as seen in this poster in the original STAR WARS.

Luke Skywalker was never depicted open-shirted, revealing sculpted pecs and ripped abs.

Yep, Mark Hamill didn't quite fit the picture!

• Like 1

220px-TheSistersPoster.jpg

Neither Flynn nor Davis look like this in this film.  It seems that Warners just took two stock paintings of their stars and put them together.  The only thing on this poster that reflects the film's actual content is the book on the cover showing that this film is based on this novel.

• Like 2

Apparently global warming has led to scantily clad women in the Arctic:

terror.jpg

Yeah and besides Rich, nowhere on that poster does it say Jane Russell reprises her "The Outlaw" role in this thing, huh?!

;)

That is a good one.    They didn't even use any green or red in this poster.  

I never thought about how weird it was that the poster had no green or red in it! Were they trying to hide that it

was a Christmas movie???

images-45.jpg

The puppet people never attack a dog with a knife.  In fact, the puppet people don't attack anything or anyone.  Per the tag-line, the "doll dwarfs" part I suppose is accurate (although they seem about the same height as say a Barbie doll, they don't seem like they're tiny dolls like Polly Pocket or something) and there are no crushing beasts.  They have a ridiculous run in with what looks like an angry Labrador or something (definitely not this ferocious looking Rottweiler or Doberman) and I think they might encounter a rat outside. 

This poster is full of lies and I, for one, felt deceived when I watched it.

• Like 4

Thanks in large part to his role in "Airplane" and after Leslie Nielsen reinvigorated and recast his career in a more comedic style, in the movie "Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult", nowhere in that movie is Leslie pregnant, let alone holding himself like this...

drebin__120204224039.jpg?w=970

(...though of course in THIS case, this poster's image was a spoof of the famous and then somewhat controversial Demi Moore Vanity Fair magazine cover page photo) ;)

• Like 2

Thanks in large part to his role in "Airplane" and after Leslie Nielsen reinvigorated and recast his career in a more comedic style, in the movie "Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult", nowhere in that movie is Leslie pregnant, let alone holding himself like this...

drebin__120204224039.jpg?w=970

(...though of course in THIS case, this poster's image was a spoof of the famous and then somewhat controversial Demi Moore Vanity Fair magazine cover page photo) ;)

This is hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

• Like 5

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings