Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BBC's Top 100 American Films

traceyk65

Just saw this today--Billy Wilder, Speilberg, Hawks and Hitchcock seem to be the most cited directors. A few surprises (to me anyway and not because I think they are terrible movies, just becasue I wouldn't have thought of them)-1959's Imitation of Life, Grey Gardens, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Letter from and Unknown Woman, Ace in the Hole,  Heaven's Gate, Forrest Gump (ok, I do dislike that one), Shanghai Gesture, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark and a few others (West Side Story?). Also, they placed some lower and higher than I would have expected (Sunset Boulevard, Gone With the Wind, Duck Soup, 2001:A Space Oddysey, The Searchers and others)

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150720-the-100-greatest-american-films

• Like 2

Just saw this today--Billy Wilder, Speilberg, Hawks and Hitchcock seem to be the most cited directors. A few surprises (to me anyway and not because I think they are terrible movies, just becasue I wouldn't have thought of them)-1959's Imitation of Life, Grey Gardens, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Letter from and Unknown Woman, Ace in the Hole,  Heaven's Gate, Forrest Gump (ok, I do dislike that one), Shanghai Gesture, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark and a few others (West Side Story?). Also, they placed some lower and higher than I would have expected (Sunset Boulevard, Gone With the Wind, Duck Soup, 2001:A Space Oddysey, The Searchers and others)

Just another list,  but I'm surprised not one film directed by William Wyler and while Hitchcock is one of the best Marnie at  47??

Oh well,  makes for interesting conversation.   

Just another list,  but I'm surprised not one film directed by William Wyler and while Hitchcock is one of the best Marnie at  47??

Yeah Marnie was another one I was surprised by. I never considered it one of Hitch's best either.

I prefer the American Film Institute 100 years 100 movies list originally broadcast in June 1998. AFI revised the list ten years later and there were some additions and subtractions from their original list. The AFI contains a download where the lists can be seen. Fortunately I own a poster with the 1998 list cosponsored by Blockbuster Video. Thank goodness I taped the show on my vcr.

• Like 1

Wyler's "Best Years of Our Lives" came in at 15.....

"Heaven's Gate" (1980)--at #98????!!!!!!!!--that film is endless!!!!! 

"The Shanghai Gesture"--(1941)--at #70???!!!!!!!!!!---That film is mind-blowingly bad!!!!!!???????????

This link goes to 1998's 100 AFI Best Film List--is radically different.

http://afi.com/100years/movies.aspx

This link also leads to a link at the bottom of the list for the top 400 films nominated--neither of the above made That list!!!

• Like 1

Wyler's "Best Years of Our Lives" came in at 15.....

Thanks because I checked the list a few times before posting, actually looking for BYOOL or The Heiress or The Letter because I felt that at least ONE Wyler film had to be in any top 100 listing.

I guess I was so jaded I missed what was right in front of me.    

I agree with the BBC in their article, "Why are the best films old ones" and that it has to impact culture in order to be included. Only six films from the 21st Century made it into the list because “Movie studios don’t make ground-breaking films any more,” An argument could be made that many ground breaking films are not included but they also would need an audience first in order to be relevant. It's a good insight into what another country's view is on what is relevant instead of what American's deem important.

Okay, let me get this straight here...

Those superfluous u users over there on that little ol' island situated off the coast of continental Europe have MARNIE and EYES WIDE SHUT on this list o' theirs, and YET and unless I overlooked it somehow, one of the GREATEST Adventure films ever made in Tinseltown and pert near perfect in its overall execution, AND ironically a story set ON the aforementioned little island situated off the coast of continental Europe centuries in the past, namely THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD(1938) is left OFF this here list o' theirs???

(...and here I thought it was primarily that whole superfluous u thing and the needlessness of those dang things in the spelling of certain words that those Brits could never seem to get a handle on!!!) LOL

;)

Okay, let me get this straight here...

Those superfluous u users over there on that little ol' island situated off the coast of continental Europe have MARNIE and EYES WIDE SHUT on this list o' theirs, and YET and unless I overlooked it somehow, one of the GREATEST Adventure films ever made in Tinseltown and pert near perfect in its overall execution, AND ironically a story set ON the aforementioned little island situated off the coast of continental Europe centuries in the past, namely THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD(1938) is left OFF this here list o' theirs???

(...and here I thought it was primarily that whole superfluous u thing and the needlessness of those dang things in the spelling of certain words that those Brits could never seem to get a handle on!!!) LOL

;)

So what impact did that movie have on culture? That's the criteria they are using.

So what impact did that movie have on culture? That's the criteria they are using.

Well ahharding, if it wasn't for the legend of Robin Hood and the very best version of that legend ever placed on film, would our "culture" have ever had the concept of taking from the rich to give to the poor?

In other words, would we have ever had Welfare as we know it???  LOL

;)

(...all kidding aside and sorry, but I see a whole lot of films on that BBC list which I wouldn't exactly call "cultural touchstones" anymore than I would this great Errol Flynn flick that I mentioned earlier...in fact, I invite you scan that list of theirs again, and I'll bet you'll find many a movie on it that wouldn't or couldn't be a categorized in such a fashion, either)

• Like 1

I quote from the article:

"BBC Culture has polled 62 international film critics to determine the 100 greatest American films of all time."

Nowhere in the article is a film's impact on culture mentioned.

I agree with the BBC in their article, "Why are the best films old ones" and that it has to impact culture in order to be included. Only six films from the 21st Century made it into the list because “Movie studios don’t make ground-breaking films any more,” An argument could be made that many ground breaking films are not included but they also would need an audience first in order to be relevant. It's a good insight into what another country's view is on what is relevant instead of what American's deem important.

Except it isn't another country's view.  Didn't it say it polled critics from around the world?  I assume that includes the United States.  This list is as stupid and valueless as the AFI list.  I was a supporter of the AFI, until they did that list, and then I stopped.  I find making a list that implies one film is better than another, the antithesis of what the AFI is supposed to be doing.

• Like 1

It seems some of us should learn the world doesn't revolve around Hollywood. There are different perspectives to everything.

Some films you might find long and boring, might appear entertaining to a people who are more patient. Cowboy films are very American. You can't expect a culture that has never had them to view their "exactly the same" as you do. 

We Americans have had it hammered into our heads that "Gone with the Wind" and "Citizen Kane" are at the apex of cinematic brilliance. England had their own civil war, no need to bother with ours. Kane was super wealthy. A land of Dukes and Princes might not be so impressed. 

You have to clear your heads of the brainwashing we have been given for so many years. And open up to a new reality. See some of those films with new eyes. See whatever it is they are seeing. Maybe we are missing something.

It seems some of us should learn the world doesn't revolve around Hollywood. There are different perspectives to everything.

Some films you might find long and boring, might appear entertaining to a people who are more patient. Cowboy films are very American. You can't expect a culture that has never had them to view their "exactly the same" as you do. 

We Americans have had it hammered into our heads that "Gone with the Wind" and "Citizen Kane" are at the apex of cinematic brilliance. England had their own civil war, no need to bother with ours. Kane was super wealthy. A land of Dukes and Princes might not be so impressed. 

You have to clear your heads of the brainwashing we have been given for so many years. And open up to a new reality. See some of those films with new eyes. See whatever it is they are seeing. Maybe we are missing something.

Yes, but they came to the same, tired conclusion that CITIZEN KANE is the best American film.  Again, this was not just UK critics.  To quote the article, the critics were from "United Kingdom and continental Europe to South America, Australia, India and the Middle East – and of course the United States as well."

• 4 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings