Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KC Confidentail

Janet0312

In this stirring noir, the boys are playing poker. One of the players bets ten skins. The undercover copper ups it to 10 skins.

I thought I've heard all the noir slang, but skins I don't know.

Next. A guy says he did a duece in jail. Is that 2 years in stir or twenty? Any feedback would be welcome.

In this stirring noir, the boys are playing poker. One of the players bets ten skins. The undercover copper ups it to 10 skins.

Next. A guy says he did a duece in jail. Is that 2 years in stir or twenty? Any feedback would be welcome.

Sometimes I hear cabbage referred to as "clams", as in "that'll be 5 clams, time to pay up!".  Skins may mean the same.  It wasn't a strict language. 

P.S. I was brought up with and still use the phrase "bring home the bacon".  Maybe pigskins?  lol

"Gimme three of the best you got"

one of my fav noirs w/great cast:

John Payne (Joe Rolfe), Coleen Gray (Helen), Preston Foster (Timothy Foster), Jack Elam (Pete Harris), Neville Brand (Boyd Kane), Lee Van Cleef (Tony Romano), Dona Drake (Teresa).

Assume 'deuce' is only 2 years & Van Cleef and Brand look pretty young.

'skins' maybe = dollars??

kansas-city-confidential-1.jpeg

Deuce would likely be two years as in a deuce coupe was a thirty two Ford.

Skins would have to be dollars as it's a friendly game.

Regardless it is an excellent movie with a very good cast.  Always wonder if it had some influence over the creators of the Thomas Crown Affair.

• Like 1

Sometimes I hear cabbage referred to as "clams", as in "that'll be 5 clams, time to pay up!".  Skins may mean the same.  It wasn't a strict language. 

P.S. I was brought up with and still use the phrase "bring home the bacon".  Maybe pigskins?  lol

"Gimme three of the best you got"

Well, out here in New England, we say beans.

Regardless it is an excellent movie with a very good cast.  Always wonder if it had some influence over the creators of the Thomas Crown Affair.

Outstanding movie.

Too bad Ben M. and Eddie M. weren't there to intro and outro it.

They coulda stuck Impact in instead of a few stinkers today, though. Push up bra lady can't act her way out of a paper bag.

I'd say the influence is unmistakeable: the mastermind remains unknown to the crooks who actually carry out the job. But in KCC the motive was more believable, and there was an innocent fall guy (Payne), whose quest to clear himself drove the plot. In TCA the motive was that a rich guy did it for kicks, just to prove that he could. And there was no patsy, just a glitzy surface with nothing underneath -- a very entertaining film, just the same -- and Dunaway was never more stunning.

I'm pretty sure that a skin is a dollar, and a deuce is two.

I'm pretty sure that a skin is a dollar, and a deuce is two.

You're right, of course.  Here's what the authoritative Dictionary of Underworld Lingo has to say about it.  The book was published in 1950, just two years before the movie.

Skin.  1. (P) A one-dollar bill.  "The screw (guard) wants a skin for his end (share) to bring in stickers (contraband stamps)."  2. Loose women or degenerates generally; a loose woman; a degenerate; (A hunk of skin.)   3.  (Pickpocket jargon) A wallet.  "Week (take the money out of) that skin and whip (get rid of) it."

Deuce.  1. Two dollars.  2. A two-year prison term.  "Bits (prison terms) was tough in the old days, but you got a deuce then whee you get hit with a sawbuck (ten years) now."

IMG_5421.JPG

You're right, of course.  Here's what the authoritative Dictionary of Underworld Lingo has to say about it.  The book was published in 1950, just two years before the movie.

Skin.  1. (P) A one-dollar bill.  "The screw (guard) wants a skin for his end (share) to bring in stickers (contraband stamps)."  2. Loose women or degenerates generally; a loose woman; a degenerate; (A hunk of skin.)   3.  (Pickpocket jargon) A wallet.  "Week (take the money out of) that skin and whip (get rid of) it."

Deuce.  1. Two dollars.  2. A two-year prison term.  "Bits (prison terms) was tough in the old days, but you got a deuce then whee you get hit with a sawbuck (ten years) now."

IMG_5421.JPG

Hey, that's neat! I wonder if you can buy that book on Amazon?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings