Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Osborne rewrites TCM's history in new interview

Barton_Keyes

In a new interview detailing the development of TCM's Guest Programmer series (http://www.yourtvlink.com/joan-collins-picks-a-nights-worth-of-tcm-movies/), Robert Osborne seems to be conveniently rewriting TCM's history.

He says in this interview that "the first [guest programmer] was Stephen Sondheim." I suspect that R.O. and everyone else at TCM would prefer to forget that, in fact, Bill Cosby holds that distinction.

Osborne goes on to mention Cosby's name in passing in this interview, but there's no getting around the now-troublesome bit of trivia that Cosby was the first guest programmer in the network's history. Indeed, a TCM press release from January of 2005 (archived at: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/86668%7C0/Guest-Programmer-Bill-Cosby-.html), states plainly that: "Our first guest programmer is Bill Cosby."

I just don't understand why Robert Osborne would misrepresent such an easily verifiable fact, unflattering as it now may seem.

• Like 4

Interesting you mention this. I was just updating the Guest Programmer list in that sub-forum, adding Nathan Lane's name in the slot for October. At the top of the post, I see the very first one and it's Bill Cosby. I thought, wow, I bet they wish they didn't have him on. But back then, nobody really suspected him of doing the things these women are accusing him of doing. So of course, TCM is not to blame-- in 2005, Cosby was still very reputable. 

But I agree that acting like they never had Cosby on is definitely misleading. Bad move, guys. 

In a new interview detailing the development of TCM's Guest Programmer series (http://www.yourtvlink.com/joan-collins-picks-a-nights-worth-of-tcm-movies/), Robert Osborne seems to be conveniently rewriting TCM's history.

He says in this interview that "the first [guest programmer] was Stephen Sondheim." I suspect that R.O. and everyone else at TCM would prefer to forget that, in fact, Bill Cosby holds that distinction.

Osborne goes on to mention Cosby's name in passing in this interview, but there's no getting around the now-troublesome bit of trivia that Cosby was the first guest programmer in the network's history. Indeed, a TCM press release from January of 2005 (archived at: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/86668%7C0/Guest-Programmer-Bill-Cosby-.html), states plainly that: "Our first guest programmer is Bill Cosby."

I just don't understand why Robert Osborne would misrepresent such an easily verifiable fact, unflattering as it now may seem.

Did the films that Cosby selected give any clue to his proclivities?

Rewriting history is nothing new. It has become so common place with regards to what is dished out for local consumption. Turkey didn't commit genocide against the Armenians, Japan didn't invade China, Texas took out all reverences to slavery being the cause of The Civil War in text books, George Orwell would be smiling me thinks.

• Like 2

Ironically, like the Confederate Flag, Bill Cosby is destined to be exorcised from entertainment history because of his foul deeds. On one hand, Bob could have been following a corporate directive not to mention Cosby. On the other hand, Bob IS 83 years old, so give the fellow a break considering all of the things he DOES remember correctly.

Ironically, like the Confederate Flag, Bill Cosby is destined to be exorcised from entertainment history because of his foul deeds. On one hand, Bob could have been following a corporate directive not to mention Cosby. On the other hand, Bob IS 83 years old, so give the fellow a break considering all of the things he DOES remember correctly.

Temple University is trying to remove all mentions of Cosby on campus and in print, and they are many.

Did the films that Cosby selected give any clue to his proclivities?

One of Cosby's choices was *MONSIEUR VERDOUX*, Chaplin's dark comedy about an ostensibly charming millionaire who murders women for their money.    In one scene, Verdoux picks up a homeless woman as part of an experiment to see if the poison that he slips into her wine would show up in her autopsy report.  

• Like 1

One of Cosby's choices was *MONSIEUR VERDOUX*, Chaplin's dark comedy about an ostensibly charming millionaire who murders women for their money.    In one scene, Verdoux picks up a homeless woman as part of an experiment to see if the poison that he slips into her wine would show up in her autopsy report.  

Gee, I'm glad he didn't select THE BOSTON STRANGLER.

I wonder whether the trivia question, "Who was the first black man to star in a TV series?" will now have a different answer.

I wonder whether the trivia question, "Who was the first black man to star in a TV series?" will now have a different answer.

. . . And the number 1 sitcom of the mid-1980s will henceforth be known simply as "The Show."   

• Like 1

I remember another choice was the Joan Crawford version of The Last of Mrs. Chaney. (Dunno why I remember that particular one and not the others, probably as I had the station on when they were introducing it....)

I remember another choice was the Joan Crawford version of The Last of Mrs. Chaney. (Dunno why I remember that particular one and not the others, probably as I had the station on when they were introducing it....)

Cosby also selected THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. Given Cosby's [alleged] morally corrupt, greedy and secretive pattern of behavior over the years, it seems he missed the point John Huston was trying to make with that film.  

I produced the kids' show "Picture Pages" with Cosby when he was post "I Spy" and pre "The Cosby Show."  He would show up once a month, we would shoot several of the shows and he would go away.  On every occasion he brought a new "girlfriend" with him. So much for the great family man. He had a habit of saying some very weird things to the kids on the set.  The shows were

aimed at pre-schoolers and we were generally shooting anywhere from 1 - 5 kids per show with Cosby.  One time he told a 4 year old that the ice cream he was eating had "rat poison" in it causing the child to totally flip out. (And, me too.) Very, very disturbed guy!  Anyone who ever worked with him professionally knew he was A:  A serial cheater and B:  A legend in his own mind.  When all of these stories came out about drugged and raped women I thought:  "Sounds like Cosby to me."

Lydecker

• Like 4

I produced the kids' show "Picture Pages" with Cosby when he was post "I Spy" and pre "The Cosby Show."  He would show up once a month, we would shoot several of the shows and he would go away.  On every occasion he brought a new "girlfriend" with him. So much for the great family man. He had a habit of saying some very weird things to the kids on the set.  The shows were

aimed at pre-schoolers and we were generally shooting anywhere from 1 - 5 kids per show with Cosby.  One time he told a 4 year old that the ice cream he was eating had "rat poison" in it causing the child to totally flip out. (And, me too.) Very, very disturbed guy!  Anyone who ever worked with him professionally knew he was A:  A serial cheater and B:  A legend in his own mind.  When all of these stories came out about drugged and raped women I thought:  "Sounds like Cosby to me."

Lydecker

that would certainly explain Leonard Part 6. :D

because it is inconvenient to acknowledge it and because tcm doesn't want to highlight their thought processes (whatever they might be) that go into who tcm asks or chooses to be a guest programmer. was cosby asked or chosen and surely only RO knows for sure.

thankfully, bill cosby has never been on a tcm classic cruise. :lol:

Why in the hell would anyone request THE LAST OF MRS. CHEYNEY?

The only reason I can think of for wanting someone to watch it would be to put them in a coma.

Oh.

LOL. Probably why I remembered it!!!

Cosby also selected THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. Given Cosby's [alleged] morally corrupt, greedy and secretive pattern of behavior over the years, it seems he missed the point John Huston was trying to make with that film.  

LOL.

Lydecker

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They used to show PICTURE PAGES on Nickelodeon.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings