Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MONKEY'S PAW [1933]

cody1949

A few hours ago someone at the filmscoremonthly.com message board posted a thread saying that the long lost RKOfeature film from 1933,THE MONKEY'S PAW, had been found in Italy two years ago in a French dubbed version. Does anyone know anything about this ? If true,it would be quite a find to say the least.

Yes, this has been reported for a while.  I know nobody who has actually seen the print, however.  I believe Warners has one reel of the film.  This is number one on my lost films list.  I do not know whether or not rights reverted back to WW Jacobs or his estate, but the short length of the film alone would have prevented a reissue. Actually, none of RKO's early creepers (BEFORE DAWN, ROADHOUSE MURDER, etc) were re-released.  The pseudo-exception was SEVEN KEYS TO BALDPATE, which was remade twice by RKO.

There are only two reviews for RKO's THE MONKEY'S PAW on IMDB - one from childhood when the film was released and one based only on the story.

Here's the original announcement thread over at Nitrateville:

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16721

• Like 1

Yes, this has been reported for a while.  I know nobody who has actually seen the print, however.  I believe Warners has one reel of the film.  This is number one on my lost films list.  I do not know whether or not rights reverted back to WW Jacobs or his estate, but the short length of the film alone would have prevented a reissue. Actually, none of RKO's early creepers (BEFORE DAWN, ROADHOUSE MURDER, etc) were re-released.  The pseudo-exception was SEVEN KEYS TO BALDPATE, which was remade twice by RKO.

There are only two reviews for RKO's THE MONKEY'S PAW on IMDB - one from childhood when the film was released and one based only on the story.

Here's the original announcement thread over at Nitrateville:

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16721

Thanks for your comments,Ray. No matter what the running time of the film, I am sure this would be a major event if it were to appear on TCM or come out on DVD. It's number one on my want list followed by CONVENTION CITY.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings