Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Idle Suggestions

CaveGirl

Though I thoroughly enjoy all TCM's programming, I wish they would perhaps have some original programming with maybe shorts of historical film footage, like any boxing match from the 1890's with Gentleman Jim, James J. Corbett of whom I was reminded with the recent showing of the Errol Flynn epic.
Another area that might be fun would be the showing of famous, yet rarely viewed silent serials like "The Woman in Grey" or even the Pearl White "Perils of Pauline" perennial faves. 

Other silent stars nowadays neglected are the sadly tragic Wallace Reid, who was wonderful in "The Deerslayer" and anything with the incredible Alla Nazimova. Though I think she worked for Metro in things like "War Brides" with Richard Barthelmess, some of her best are like her auto-produced work like "Salome" which with only one viewing will show one where Lady Gaga gets some of her best hair-do and style ideas. Nazimova was one of a kind to be sure.
Speaking of "Salome" it would be fun to see the Theda Bara earlier Arab Death version, as Theodosia Goodman fans would also be thrilled. Another wonderful silent film goddess, Jetta Goudal could best be represented by "White Gold" but it may still be a lost film for all I know.
Covering a star with numerous accolades as a child, Jackie Coogan seems not to be available much on TCM in his First National films like "Peck's Bad Boy" or "Circus Days" but I do think they have shown "Oliver Twist". What would be a really great film to see would be his version of "Tom Sawyer" which was a talkie and done during his Metro days at the latter stages of his prepubescent period.
I've yet to see many early westerns on TCM like those of William S. Hart so that might be another topic of interest. Lastly in an historical cast, the films of the Bison company before and after their connection to Keystone would be evocative. Also perhaps films celebrating the talents of Billy Bitzer who seems to be the original stylist of innovations like the close-up, the fade-in and the fade-out could be educational.
As yet, I am still waiting for a Harry Langdon festival, in which his classic "Three's a Crowd" might finally demolish any criticism perpetrated by Frank Capra.

All in all, these are not complaints as there has never been any more wonderful and further reaching purveyor of film history than TCM and I am happy to have lived during a time when they show such great and amazing fare daily. Thank you and long live Turner Classic Movie Channel!

• Like 4

My suggestion is not an idle one. 

I'm asking TCM to acquire the rights to the Fox movie BLUE DENIM, which has never been released on video.

It has aired recently on FXM but I've discoveed that I don't have that channel (no subscription or some such message is on the screen). 

My understanding is that FXM interupts its movies with commercials.

Merci, Monsieur Laffite!

As to "Blue Denim" I would have sworn TCM played that at one time. Having always been a Brandon DeWilde fan I remember watching it on cable. Maybe it was some off the wall channel, but it was not quite as lurid as I expected but Carol Lynley was still good.

Good luck, Holden and how are the other Caulfields, like Joan?

The Leopard ( 1963 ) MARATHON ?!?

I always enjoy this movie as a work of visual beauty but (as 'plebian' as it may sound) there's something missing in the audio.. that being BURT LANCASTERS GREAT VOICE!

How about back-to-back showings of the original and the English language dubbed version with Burt Lancaster's voice ? 

Great idea, GMJLeo!

Maybe they could show "The Leopard" back to back with the entire movie "Greed", and follow it with "Berlin Alexanderplatz"?

I too miss hearing Burt speak in Italian.

Could he not have learned it phonetically. That dubbing is not the right kind of voice for Mister Lancaster in my opinion.

Thanks!

Great idea, GMJLeo!

Maybe they could show "The Leopard" back to back with the entire movie "Greed", and follow it with "Berlin Alexanderplatz"?

I too miss hearing Burt speak in Italian.

Could he not have learned it phonetically. That dubbing is not the right kind of voice for Mister Lancaster in my opinion.

Thanks!

I've said this before but the Italians get used to the voice of the person who is allocated to doing the dubbing of a particular actor.

They probably wouldn't recognize the 'real' Burt Lancaster voice and are used to whoever does his films.

All of the voices are dubbed in Italian films.  Granted the Italian actors dub their own characters but often there is a guy who specializes in Jerry Lewis and another in Burt Lancaster, etc.

I've said this before but the Italians get used to the voice of the person who is allocated to doing the dubbing of a particular actor.

They probably wouldn't recognize the 'real' Burt Lancaster voice and are used to whoever does his films.

All of the voices are dubbed in Italian films.  Granted the Italian actors dub their own characters but often there is a guy who specializes in Jerry Lewis and another in Burt Lancaster, etc.

Yeah, and you haven't lived until to hear that Italian guy blurt out "EHI DAMA! EHI DAMA!" in his native tongue.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings