Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer of Darkness Forum will remain open after course ends

Would any of you like to continue discussing film noir or other topics after this course has expired?

If so, I noticed there's a "Film Noir-Gangster " thread under the "Genre Forum" on this TCM Message Board. Mayhaps we can continue there?

I dont think they're deleting anything, they are just locking it down so nothing new can be added. I'm pretty sure the Professor said something about keeping everything available for reference after the class was done.

I dont think they're deleting anything, they are just locking it down so nothing new can be added. I'm pretty sure the Professor said something about keeping everything available for reference after the class was done.

ya. That's why I said that it would be "closed to discussion."

I have been having so much fun with this class.  I took it on a lark because I've never finished college, but my oldest graduated from college a couple of years ago with his degree in computer science, and I have two others in college (one is a microbiology major and the other in psychology (aka she's still trying to figure out)), so I wanted to prove to myself that at my age, I could still learn.  This was just so different from what I do in my working life, and instead of just dealing with numbers, I have to observe what people are doing in a movie.

I have been having so much fun with this class.  I took it on a lark because I've never finished college, but my oldest graduated from college a couple of years ago with his degree in computer science, and I have two others in college (one is a microbiology major and the other in psychology (aka she's still trying to figure out)), so I wanted to prove to myself that at my age, I could still learn.  This was just so different from what I do in my working life, and instead of just dealing with numbers, I have to observe what people are doing in a movie.

exactly! I too feel like this class taught me that I was not out to pasture that I could actually learn something new! Congrats to you n your accomplished kids!

ya. That's why I said that it would be "closed to discussion."

As a long time user of this site it was great to see all of these new folks here due to the course.   So yes,  use the Noir \ Gangster forum; either create a new thread for general noir discussions or create specific ones.     Either way I look forward to continuing discussion of noir films.   Hey,  maybe some would also be interested in comedies of the 30 or other styles \ genres.   There are forums for these as well and so many knowledgeable people. 

That is a real shame! I've watched 68 of the films so far and posted a little review of each and was hoping to eventually finish them all (well, maybe missing out a couple that I really don't want to watch!) and continue to post my thoughts. 

I've so enjoyed this course and participating on these forums and I really don't know what I'm going to do once it's done! 

That is a real shame! I've watched 68 of the films so far and posted a little review of each and was hoping to eventually finish them all (well, maybe missing out a couple that I really don't want to watch!) and continue to post my thoughts. 

I've so enjoyed this course and participating on these forums and I really don't know what I'm going to do once it's done! 

Well Sir,  I hope you stick around and use some of the other forums.   

I think there is some confusion here. The TCM message board will remain open.

What will be closed are only the Canvas discussion board at the Canvas.net site, which is entirely independent of TCM message boards. When the Canvas.net course ends on August 3rd, all enrolled students will still have access to the course materials, but the course will be in "archive" mode, which means that no new posts or the ability to take quizzes will be available. But all the other content, such as the pages, and the Daily Doses, and the videos and podcasts will be there. 

TCM is not going to be closing the Summer of Darkness forum. This forum will remain open as they keep all of their programming topics open for discussion, even after they have ended. So no need to gravitate to other places in the TCM message boards, though of course, those other topic threads are really good too. 

So please continue to post here if you want! 

Best, Prof. Edwards

exactly! I too feel like this class taught me that I was not out to pasture that I could actually learn something new! Congrats to you n your accomplished kids!

So glad to read these posts!!  My last college days were in my master's program 35 years ago!   No video lectures, podcasts or message boards then!!  I, too, have had such satisfaction realizing I could learn something new using a new "classroom" format.  And not only have I learned from everyone, but I've had such fun doing it!!! 

What will be closed are only the Canvas discussion board at the Canvas.net site, which is entirely independent of TCM message boards. When the Canvas.net course ends on August 3rd, all enrolled students will still have access to the course materials, but the course will be in "archive" mode, which means that no new posts or the ability to take quizzes will be available. But all the other content, such as the pages, and the Daily Doses, and the videos and podcasts will be there. 

TCM is not going to be closing the Summer of Darkness forum. This forum will remain open as they keep all of their programming topics open for discussion, even after they have ended. So no need to gravitate to other places in the TCM message boards, though of course, those other topic threads are really good too. 

Best, Prof. Edwards

Thank you for clarifying this!!  I know for sure that I'll want to keep on posting and look forward to reading the additional comments from others!!

Best, Prof. Edwards

Oh! Fabulous!

Best, Prof. Edwards

Professor Edwards, I felt I did understand before that everything would close at 11:59 on 8/3/2015 (or 10:59 the same as the quizzes, it's kind of confusing) and was rushing to get everything done. However, I took another look at the due dates and saw that the user survey under "assignments" had a due date of 11:59 8/4/2015 and thought I would have more time on it (as well as the message boards), only to see that it too closed along with everything else. 

It's too late now and I would've liked to have put in my two cents about the daily doses. Oh well, just wanted to notify that there was conflicting information about due dates between what you were saying and what it said in "assignments."

Archived