Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hollywood in a severe decline

NipkowDisc

they can't even remake comedies good anymore. the new vacation movie. any stupe can figure out...easily...that the previous films irregardless of the setting or situation, were always built around the antics of Clark Griswold. that was the glue that made 'em work. today's hollywood stupes couldn't even figure that out?

I would watch the new film only for the chevy chase-beverly d'angelo cameos. no other reason to at all.

another thing, how come today's movie titles all sound like something that belongs on sesame street? :huh:

must be an indicator of the mentality of today's Hollywood studio executive. I doan doubt it. well, if the aging celebs of Hollywood's yesteryear on the tcm classic cruise doan mind. why should I? :)

• Like 1

they can't even remake comedies good anymore. the new vacation movie. any stupe can figure out...easily...that the previous films irregardless of the setting or situation, were always built around the antics of Clark Griswold. that was the glue that made 'em work. today's hollywood stupes couldn't even figure that out?

I would watch the new film only for the chevy chase-beverly d'angelo cameos. no other reason to at all.

another thing, how come today's movie titles all sound like something that belongs on sesame street? :huh:

must be an indicator of the mentality of today's Hollywood studio executive. I doan doubt it. well, if the aging celebs of Hollywood's yesteryear on the tcm classic cruise doan mind. why should I? :)

They don't appear to be losing any money.

• Like 1

You know, when I saw a preview for that last weekend I just sat back and asked myself, "Why?" There are reasons I haven't been to the movies in years and this is one of them.

• Like 1

Criticizing a movie you have not seen ? You sound like a typical older film critic.  :lol: 

I just saw Ant Man the other day. I laughed quite a bit watching it. Minions was just released, its also a big hit. Lots of little kids who saw that laughed also. Both are making big box office. I don't quite get your point. People worldwide are spending billions to watch these "Hollywood comedies".

I don't get what your issue is frankly ? What do you want ?

• Like 1

As to "what does he want" I think he wants a good movie.

But first, he or she must define for the uninitiated what to said person IS a good movie.

Perhaps if NipkowDisc would mention some of the films of the past he or she found noteworthy and rewarding, one would have a better understanding of the justifiability of the complaint.

Waiting...

• Like 1

As to "what does he want" I think he wants a good movie.

But first, he or she must define for the uninitiated what to said person IS a good movie.

Perhaps if NipkowDisc would mention some of the films of the past he or she found noteworthy and rewarding, one would have a better understanding of the justifiability of the complaint.

Waiting...

Most fans of classsic films don't go to theaters anymore for a variety of reasons. So most programming geared to them (us ) is normally on television. And if you're looking for some screwball comedy from 80 years ago, don't think that will happen.

Film companies , then and now, are in the business of making money. That has never changed. They are making more now than ever.

• Like 1

Most fans of classsic films don't go to theaters anymore for a variety of reasons. So most programming geared to them (us ) is normally on television. And if you're looking for some screwball comedy from 80 years ago, don't think that will happen.

Film companies , then and now, are in the business of making money. That has never changed. They are making more now than ever.

What I said. They found their audience, and are appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Good for them, I wish them all the best.

• Like 1

Criticizing a movie you have not seen ? You sound like a typical older film critic.  :lol:

I just saw Ant Man the other day. I laughed quite a bit watching it. Minions was just released, its also a big hit. Lots of little kids who saw that laughed also. Both are making big box office. I don't quite get your point. People worldwide are spending billions to watch these "Hollywood comedies".

my point is that everything outta Hollywood seems geared to an audience raised on either sesame street or transformers. where is the substance and the interesting subject matter? minions? a play on onions. yellow pac men in overalls. a terrific idea for ten-year olds. where are the historical epics? nowhere. where are the war films? nowhere. todays films swing back and forth between saturday night live skit-like comedies to sesame street-like cgi fests. to me that is decline.

my point is that everything outta Hollywood seems geared to an audience raised on either sesame street or transformers. where is the substance and the interesting subject matter? minions? a play on onions. yellow pac men in overalls. a terrific idea for ten-year olds. where are the historical epics? nowhere. where are the war films? nowhere. todays films swing back and forth between saturday night live skit-like comedies to sesame street-like cgi fests. to me that is decline.

This is the same over the top stuff you have said many times.   Over the top?  Yes;  e.g.  you posted before about there being no war films, and when people mentioned war films that have been released in the last few years,  you come up with a lame excuse.    While I'm not a fan of many recent movies,   your rants are very tiresome.     At least a few months back you were funny.   So what is in decline is the quality of your post.  

• Like 2

No, "minions" is based on the word "minions" : http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/minion

Historical epics?  War films?  Like that gory film "300"?  They're around.  Just bloodier and with a lot more CGI.

Since the advent of CGI, the target audience for movies has become teenage boys.  Movies for grownups are available for viewing mostly between November and April.  Last time I was in a theater was in April for the documentary "The Wrecking Crew".  No plans to be back.  I'll catch "Love and Mercy" on cable some year.

• Like 1

This is the same over the top stuff you have said many times.   Over the top?  Yes;  e.g.  you posted before about there being no war films, and when people mentioned war films that have been released in the last few years,  you come up with a lame excuse.    While I'm not a fan of many recent movies,   your rants are very tiresome.     At least a few months back you were funny.   So what is in decline is the quality of your post.  

go take a look at the upcoming films listed on IMDb like a Lego Brickumentary. that does sound like sesame street. compare the vintage stuff shown right here on tcm to todays fare. could or would todays Hollywood turn out a film like Judgment at Nuremburg? the subject matter is way off. what are fifteen year olds gonna care about WWII? nothin'! our culture has been dumbed down from intelligent filmmaking to sesame street level HS. anybody who has watched as much movies and TV as I have for close to 50 years now can plainly see this. it was not an impossible feat to reboot Nat'l lampoon's vacation for 2015. the problem was that no one in Hollywood today knew how to. the people running the studios are dumb enough to let parking attendants and trash collectors write and direct films and the current crop looks it. :angry:

it's very simple. todays Hollywood "filmmakers" think filmmaking is a big joke, like writing for snl or tales from the darkside, rather than it being an artform. they doan take any subject matter or it's execution on film or it's translation to the screen seriously.

Hollywood is dying of acute sesame street / cgi syndrome.

I can see it, others can't. :)

I just saw Ant-Man and Inside Out recently-- both excellent movies.

I'm so tired of these "get off my lawn" type rants.  There are a lot of good movies in the theater and a lot of not so good ones-- just like it has always been.  Not every old movie is a classic, just like not every new movie caters to the lowest denominator. 

What's wrong with Sesame Street?  That is a great show for kids, it's very educational and entertaining.  I'd rather meet a person who grew up on Sesame Street over one who grew up on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills or something of that ilk.

There's also nothing wrong with Transformers.  Of course, I'm talking about the cartoon.  I cannot recognize the movies because they are nothing like the cartoon.  The cartoon however, is a great piece of nostalgia for those born in the 70s-80s. 

BTW: Gerald, this comment isn't directed at you.  I just saw that you saw Ant-Man and am piggy backing off your comment ;)

• Like 2

go take a look at the upcoming films listed on IMDb like a Lego Brickumentary. that does sound like sesame street. compare the vintage stuff shown right here on tcm to todays fare. could or would todays Hollywood turn out a film like Judgment at Nuremburg?

Its very easy to go through 100 years of filmmaking and cherry pick the absolute best and say "make more of this !" And believe me, if Hollywood could, they would have. Hollywood has always had a habit of riding a winning horse until it falls. 

I Notice you didn't compare the Lego film to "Bedtime for Bonzo" or that terrible Babe Ruth biopic with William Bendix. And the Lego movie is for kids. Why compare JaN to that ?

There is fine programming out there. But, when you don't support it, it goes away. Like some on this thread mention they don't go to the theater anymore, well, theaters will cater to those who will go. 

And remember, so many lovers of classic films aren't able to get to theaters because of age, health or other reasons. It only makes sense that that genre of programming will be found on tv stations like TCM.

Downton Abbey seems to be doing quite well. Its well made and can stand up to any example you wish to post. Its on a medium where those who can appreciate it can view it. The days of 2, 4, and 7 on the dial are long gone. You have to seek out the good stuff, not complain about films you have never seen in theaters you don't visit.

How do movies like Lego get produced ? People who like it, support it ! Support those who make the kind of films you like and they'll be able to make more of them. We all have the internet at our disposal. Let's use it .

• Like 1

Its very easy to go through 100 years of filmmaking and cherry pick the absolute best and say "make more of this !" And believe me, if Hollywood could, they would have. Hollywood has always had a habit of riding a winning horse until it falls. 

I Notice you didn't compare the Lego film to "Bedtime for Bonzo" or that terrible Babe Ruth biopic with William Bendix. And the Lego movie is for kids. Why compare JaN to that ?

There is fine programming out there. But, when you don't support it, it goes away. Like some on this thread mention they don't go to the theater anymore, well, theaters will cater to those who will go. 

And remember, so many lovers of classic films aren't able to get to theaters because of age, health or other reasons. It only makes sense that that genre of programming will be found on tv stations like TCM.

Downton Abbey seems to be doing quite well. Its well made and can stand up to any example you wish to post. Its on a medium where those who can appreciate it can view it. The days of 2, 4, and 7 on the dial are long gone. You have to seek out the good stuff, not complain about films you have never seen in theaters you don't visit.

How do movies like Lego get produced ? People who like it, support it ! Support those who make the kind of films you like and they'll be able to make more of them. We all have the internet at our disposal. Let's use it .

I just want to go on record in saying that The Lego Movie was awesome.  It was entertaining, funny, and a great way to spend 90 minutes. 

• Like 2

ND said: where are the historical epics? nowhere. where are the war films? nowhere.

Historical: LINCOLN.

War films: AMERICAN SNIPER

Movie Madness said: Movies today are made more for an international audience, so the comedies are meant to make us look stupid. They find that funny apparently.

They must find this thread's original post hilarious

• Like 1

OP asked how come todays movie titles all sound like they belong on Sesame Street? (I'm paraphrasing):  Parents would have strokes if these appeared on Sesame Street:

San Andreas--(a CGI remake of Earthquake (1974).

Best of Enemies--a political documentary.

Listen to Me Marlon--documentary about Brando, a brilliant actor but one also famed for using obscenities.

Jurassic World--CGI film about destructive dinosaurs & related problems.

There Are quality films on release.  You just have to search them out.  The biggest budgeted films always get the most publicity, because they have to at least break even--whether they're worth a hoot or not.  Hollywood is a business--as long as a theme/subject makes $$, they'll drive it into the pavement ( & yes, I know other posters have said it, but I'll repeat it so we all make a point (the point?).

Hollywood's a business.  You want more quality films, you go spend your $$ on those films, so the current ****** films Lose money--or at least spend money to get them when they are available to watch at home (this is all assuming one is Not on a fixed budget & can get out of the house easily--if I have offended any such people with my post, I Apologize to them Now.

OP asked how come todays movie titles all sound like they belong on Sesame Street? (I'm paraphrasing):  Parents would have strokes if these appeared on Sesame Street:

San Andreas--(a CGI remake of Earthquake (1974).

Best of Enemies--a political documentary.

Listen to Me Marlon--documentary about Brando, a brilliant actor but one also famed for using obscenities.

Jurassic World--CGI film about destructive dinosaurs & related problems.

There Are quality films on release.  You just have to search them out.  The biggest budgeted films always get the most publicity, because they have to at least break even--whether they're worth a hoot or not.  Hollywood is a business--as long as a theme/subject makes $$, they'll drive it into the pavement ( & yes, I know other posters have said it, but I'll repeat it so we all make a point (the point?).

Hollywood's a business.  You want more quality films, you go spend your $$ on those films, so the current ****** films Lose money--or at least spend money to get them when they are available to watch at home (this is all assuming one is Not on a fixed budget & can get out of the house easily--if I have offended any such people with my post, I Apologize to them Now.

yeah, but what is sadly missing from todays pathetic offerings is any appreciably well-done dramatics because today's Hollywood people simply do not know how.  all they care about are the cgi sequences they build their life action scenes around...and they doan even do the cgi. the studios' cgi nerd technicians do that. look at something like the towering inferno from 1974. Irwin Allen directed some action sequences as well. that is old school competence compared to todays incompetent mediocrity. :)

yeah, but what is sadly missing from todays pathetic offerings is any appreciably well-done dramatics because today's Hollywood people simply do not know how.  all they care about are the cgi sequences they build their life action scenes around...and they doan even do the cgi. the studios' cgi nerd technicians do that. look at something like the towering inferno from 1974. Irwin Allen directed some action sequences as well. that is old school competence compared to todays incompetent mediocrity. :)

just ask yourselves this...where would Hollywood today be without cgi?

You are absolutely right, I'm sad to say.  The number of medium budgeted films directed to an 'adult' audience has shrunk considerably over the last 20 years.  Studios prefer to put all of their rotten eggs into one big blockbuster basket now.

Yes, there have always been blockbusters but not at the total expense of an abundance of good dramas which is the state of things these days.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings