Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, as I stated in your Tiger thread, Jake...any guy who feels the need to hunt a Lion in today's world, probably has a little [...] and thus very likely might be attempting to compensate for that by such an "activity".

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for language
  • Like 3

Well, as I stated in your Tiger thread, Jake...any guy who feels the need to hunt a Lion in today's world, probably has a little d ick and thus very likely might be attempting to compensate for that by such an "activity".

You're just an anti-dentite.     ;)  

• Like 1

This is not hunting.  Real hunting is meeting the quarry in it's own natural habitat and then only for food, shelter and clothing like the "Real Americans" did.  This paying to have a captured and frightened animal released in a park setting just so you can shoot and have a trophy head to brag about disgusts me. 

This lion was a national pet who deserved to live and die at his own pace.  It's a shame that this man can't be prosecuted for this.  I hope he never discovers that "what goes around comes around" even if it would seem poetic justice.  

• Like 6

This is not hunting.  Real hunting is meeting the quarry in it's own natural habitat and then only for food, shelter and clothing like the "Real Americans" did.  This paying to have a captured and frightened animal released in a park setting just so you can shoot and have a trophy head to brag about disgusts me. 

This lion was a national pet who deserved to live and die at his own pace.  It's a shame that this man can't be prosecuted for this.  I hope he never discovers that "what goes around comes around" even if it would seem poetic justice.  

Well wouldbe, you DID say "for food" here, right?! And so in THAT case, maybe this idiot ate the brains of that poor lion's head after he cut it off?

Yeah, YOU know, maybe that idiot heard somewhere that the brains of these rare animals is some kind'a "aphrodisiac" or somethin', and so maybe this freakin' idiot ate that poor lion's brain in order to help with that "little problem" he apparently has!

YOU know, just like some of those men in parts of ASIA do when they eat certain parts of rare and endangered animals in hopes that this sort'a thing will help with THEIR similar "little problem" TOO!!!

Yeah, I know...like they need MORE people in THAT part of the world, HUH???!!! LOL

(...sorry for the graphic thought, but that freakin' Minneapolis idiot REALLY has got my ire up here!!!)

• Like 3

"The United States is the world’s largest importer of African lion parts as hunting trophies and for commercial purposes. Listing the African lion as "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act, would regulate the import of lion trophies and lion parts. This listing would result in far fewer lions being killed and imported by American hunters."

https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=6653&s_src=fb_post072915

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/dentist-who-killed-cecil-the-lion-faces-calls-for-prosecution/

3896883_370.jpg

• Like 2

I feel bad for the guy's patients and their insurance companies that unwittingly contributed to his 'safari'.  If he were my dentist, I'd feel like an accessory to what he had done.  Of course, if his reception area was chock full of trophies from past hunts, that would be my first clue to find another dental provider.

• Like 2

I feel bad for the guy's patients and their insurance companies that unwittingly contributed to his 'safari'.  If he were my dentist, I'd feel like an accessory to what he had done.  Of course, if his reception area was chock full of trophies from past hunts, that would be my first clue to find another dental provider.

His punishment should be extracting the bad teeth of lions without putting them under for a year.

Doc, care to pull this one, it hurts.

2522671_f520.jpg

• Like 3

On top of everything else, it wasn't even a clean kill. This "macho" head hunter shot the lion with a crossbow then spent another 40 HOURS (!!!!) tracking him before finally finishing him off with a bullet.

So who knows how much additional suffering Cecil went through during those 40 HOURS (!!!!) as big bwana tooth puller pursued him through the bush.

In addition to which Cecil apparently had six cubs, all now in potential danger from any other male lion that may kill them as he courts Cecil's mate.

It's a sickening story of injustice done to an animal by, once again, man, the world's greatest thinking creature, some of whom can also be alarmingly short of a conscience, at times. That is particularly the case, it seems to me, when it comes to the insanity of this "macho" trophy hunting.

Apparently this dentist has quite the showroom of mounted heads to show off to his booze swilling buddies, undoubtedly enthralled by his tales of "manly" behaviour. Let's hope that the negative publicity of this particular disgrace makes it more difficult for the dentist to show his face in public for a little while. It would also be nice to think that some of his patients will find another dentist as their way of showing their disgust with him.

• Like 7

The one bright spot in this sorry tragedy is that it has raised awareness of a barbaric practice. The guy says he thought it was legal. It doesn't matter -- it's cruel. His punishment is that he will be a pariah for life with constant bombardments via social media and even in person. And maybe the publicity will help those working to protect wildlife around the world.

• Like 6

I have a simple question. I understand. I love Cecil the lion. I understand it. I understand crying. I myself was ravaged with sadness when I heard about the death of Cecil the lion. You know why? Because, even when talking about a lion, it was in a game preserve. It wasn't a pet, and you're never gonna make a pet out of a predator beast. But it still is the essence of innocence, and it wouldn't do anything to us if we didn't threaten it first. It is just senseless for somebody to shoot it.

I don't care whether he was a dentist from Minnesota or a terrorist from ISIS, it is senseless to be let onto a game preserve -- "preserve," protection -- with a bow and arrow and think you are engaging in sport while you kill a lion. It's just senseless. And I understand the sadness.

Rush Limbaugh

Rush-and-Punkin_medium.jpg

• Like 2

The latest story I ran across is that the dentist "wrote a letter of apology" to his patients for the death of Cecil.  He said that he respects that not everyone shares the same views on hunting.  Unless I missed it, he certainly isn't sorry for killing this magnificent animal, other than saying that he "didn't know it was protected."  I think the "apology letter" was to save his business.

Meanwhile, his office phone has been disconnected.  The news story said he's getting a lot of threats and hate messages.  What comes around goes around, and I'm glad it's hitting him in the face.

http://news.yahoo.com/letter-to-patients--dentist-behind-cecil-the-lion-s-death-apologizes-165511095.html

• Like 4

I truly do not understand the mind of a man like this. He paid $50,000 to do that!! There's no possible way that he could feel like a real hunter doing this.

I did see that 400 people were protesting at his office.

The two men from Zimbabwe were released and supposedly the Zimbabwe police were looking for this dentist. If it's legal why would they be looking for him? Appeasement? Ugh.

It's disgusting and he is a vile, despicable human being.

• Like 3

Some doctors/ dentists voluntarily travel to remote parts of the world to visit impoverished people and use their skills  to provide them with medical care that those people  would  otherwise never have any hope of getting.  These doctors do this on their own time and dime. Then you have the other extreme case like this guy. I have a simple solution for this. Anyone who wants to be a "big game hunter" has  to apply for a permit. To get the permit all  you have to do is swim across a crocodile invested river, free permits are on the other side. Now that is what I would call "sport".

• Like 7

The latest story I ran across is that the dentist "wrote a letter of apology" to his patients for the death of Cecil.  He said that he respects that not everyone shares the same views on hunting.  Unless I missed it, he certainly isn't sorry for killing this magnificent animal, other than saying that he "didn't know it was protected."  I think the "apology letter" was to save his business.

Meanwhile, his office phone has been disconnected.  The news story said he's getting a lot of threats and hate messages.  What comes around goes around, and I'm glad it's hitting him in the face.

http://news.yahoo.com/letter-to-patients--dentist-behind-cecil-the-lion-s-death-apologizes-165511095.html

I hope the other employees of the dental office who has nothing to do with this, don't lose their jobs or find work elsewhere.

I hope the other employees of the dental office who has nothing to do with this, don't lose their jobs or find work elsewhere.

Agreed.  One possible bad effect would be that the media attention exposes the other (innocent) employees and they themselves might be a target for the haters, because of the association with the hunter.  Hopefully that doesn't happen.  Maybe some will voluntarily find other jobs because of the stigma.

This story sickened me when I read it last night.  I'm not pro-hunting, but I can get behind those who follow the guidelines set by the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife because they only give a set number of tags stating how many, where, when and all that information.  Then there are massive fines assessed for those who don't follow the rules.  People who are hunting deer (for example), in the appropriate areas, only hunting animals they're allowed to and then taking the animal to process for food and such, I can understand and support that.  I personally wouldn't participate in it, but I wouldn't hold it against those who do.  I believe that hunters are required to take the entire animal.  They cannot just kill it for antlers and leave the body. 

Trophy hunting on the other hand, I think is absolutely horrible and should be made illegal.  Who gives a s*** that you have a lion head on your wall? If I met someone who tried to brag to me that they killed an elephant for their new ivory tusk coat hooks, I would immediately unfriend, tell them they're stupid and leave.  I'm happy that the conservationists have been lobbying for painting elephant and rhino tusks with non-toxic ink to save the animals and also ruin the ivory for poachers.  However, obviously, there is still much to be done to protect all these beautiful animals from creeps like the dentist in Minnesota and even his 2 Zimbabwean safari guides. 

I don't buy this dentist's apology for a second.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  He paid $50k to lure a lion to its death, so he could have its head and fur as a trophy.  Cecil wore a GPS collar and was being tracked by Oxford University.  He lived in a National Park--a protected environment.  Using a dead animal strapped to the top of their vehicle, the dentist & co. purposely lured Cecil out of his protected land onto a non-protected land and then shot him with a crossbow.  Baiting an animal and then shooting him is not hunting.  Cecil was not given a fair chance to be hunted and shouldn't have been hunted in the first place.  He lived in a National Park.  Then the fact that Cecil didn't die right away and they spent almost 2 days looking for him just to finish him off with a gun is horrible.  Then, on top of that, the stupid dentist poacher didn't even take Cecil's body.  He just took his head and fur as a trophy and left the carcass.  Fortunately, the dentist's trophies have been confiscated as evidence.  He still maintains that he didn't know that he was shooting a protected lion and that they were performing an illegal hunt.  B**** please, you knew exactly what you were doing.

Cecil was involved with six lionesses, with whom he had 24 cubs.  Either the cubs are going to need to be removed from the pride, or they're going to be in danger when a new Alpha male lion moves in to mate with the lionesses.  Often, the new males will kill a previous male's children, because they want a pure bloodline.  Apparently no step-parents in lion world. 

Apparently this isn't the first time the dentist has been hit with fines regarding shady hunting practices.  A few years ago, he was hit with a big fine by the Department of Fish and Wildlife because he lied to them about where he shot a black bear in Wisconsin.  He also paid a $100k settlement to a former receptionist who claims he sexually harassed her.  Obviously, this guy's got bucks and thinks that he can pretty much do what he pleases.  Karma has finally gotten him and I hope that the United States and Zimbabwean governments hit him hard.  

Last I read, the dentist's practice was closed (due to high media interest) and there were multiple protests occurring outside his office.  If he were my dentist, I'd be immediately getting a new one.  I wouldn't want my money supporting his vile hobby.  I do hope though that his innocent employees are able to find new work, or maybe they'll luck out and get a new dentist.  I also heard that both the US and Zimbabwe was hoping to hit him with poaching charges.  

I also agree with Dargo's theory that the trophies were the dentist's attempts at compensating for shortcomings in other areas o.O

RIP Cecil :(

• Like 5

cecil-the-lion1_zpsul1iieu4.png

Cecil, I had never heard of you until the past day or so and I'll wager the same is probably true of all the other posters on this thread, as well. Yet we all share a sense of outrage at what happened to you.

You were a creature of strength, beauty and majesty, and a goodly part of the world now mourns the fact that it was suddenly and unjustly taken away from you. Your innocence and natural instincts were exploited when you were lured out of your reserve, only to be butchered by an individual who has money to burn but lacks a moral compass.

If your cruel, senseless death leads to a re-examination of big game trophy hunting, there may yet be a small light shining in a very dark tunnel.

RIP, my friend.

• Like 3

You were a creature of strength, beauty and majesty

Obviously, you've never known a male lion.

I worked with lions when employed at a zoo. Male lions are one of the most vile creatures I've ever known. Black Apes & Japanese Snow Monkeys are not far behind.

But hey, they're ANIMALS - they don't belong in captivity. Captive crowding could drive the nicest wild animals into brutality-look at urban US neighborhoods.

I am disgusted by "big game hunting" or even "small game hunting" (like ducks, rabbits, etc) There is no reason for allowing it anywhere.

I prepose that if some millionaire wants a head trophy, they BUY it. 

When an animal such as this dies naturally or needs to be euthenized for health reasons, why not taxidermy the head & skin for sale to jerks with too much money? It could help fund the cost of such wildlife preserves.

Any sicko that wants a disembodied head on the wall should help funding to keep the live animals' safety & well being.

• Like 2

I never heard of this animal, either.  He wasn't as 'revered" here(until AFTER his death) as was "Clarence, The Cross-Eyed Lion".  And not knowing fully the FACTS of the circumstances that had this hapless dentist get into a GAME PRESERVE in order to hunt and kill this animal , I can't offer any latent, "after the fact" bleeding heart outrage.

I also can't bring myself to actually CRY over the incident.  But still only wonder HOW this "incident" came to be...

Did the dentist KNOW, or NOT that he was shooting some "revered" animal?  IF not, WHY not?

Didn't his GUIDES know?  And, if they DID, WHY didn't THEY inform him?

I'm not into hunting for "sport".  NOT that I'm against it, just that it doesn't interest me.  But, here in Michigan, there IS an increasing amount of incidents where cars have swerved into serious traffi accidents in order to prevent hitting a deer.  And it ISN'T a case of the city encroaching on their territory.  In some cases, the "accidents" happened in a section of DEARBORN MI, that had been a business/residential district since the  19-teens.

"Big game" hunting, if NOT regulated in the interest of population control( as it is here in MI) seems rather more  EGO  assuage than anything deemed neccessary.

And I'm willing to BET THE RENT, that  most(if not ALL) the idiots prancing around this man's dental clinic bearing signs of outrage probably two days earlier, NEVER heard of this lion, and also probably couldn't care TWO DEAD FLIES worth about him.

Me either, really.  I'm of course a bit saddened by what happened, but I'd just let any LEGAL RECOURSE that could(if any) be taken agasinst the dentist run IT'S course. and save my energy for jumping on a bandwagon that's more relevant to my and other PEOPLE'S well being.

Sepiatone