Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Clichés cont'd..

Kid Dabb

Technically not a cliche, but happens in almost every movie.

They run out of who knows where, and hail a cab and immediately one is available and pulls right up and then the cliche begins as they say "Follow that car".

That never happens to me in New York city.

Incorrect assumptions in romantic comedies.

I saw him with that girl and ...  it's revealed that he is the son of the bad guy and ... etc, etc., etc., as Yul Brynner would say.

Followed by half an hour of the hero trying to reverse those assumptions.

like how, in movies, no matter what emergency, people always stop to put on a robe & slippers before going to the door

:D

& women always waking up perfectly made up?

A woman is in a hospital bed after a car accident, surgery, being shot, dying, etc. and has a full face of makeup intact LOL

• Like 1

A woman is in a hospital bed after a car accident, surgery, being shot, dying, etc. and has a full face of makeup intact LOL

I believe that it must be remembered that make-up has changed greatly.

It is today made to rub or rinse off with ease so as to require frequent reapplication. It is designed to be ephemeral so as to sell more product.

Make-up in 1930s was much more durable. It was most often produced as sidelines by paint and spackle factories. This explains why some women looked as if their make-up has been applied by a plasterer. A common feature was that it was so very strong that it could with ease be burnished to a shine. To reduce this glare was reason women of the era had to step away to powder their noses. It required thick application of cold cream to soften the make-up so that it could be scrubbed off. It was often that a woman would have to wear cold cream to bed so as to allow time to dissolve last stubborn bits.

I believe that it was common at the time that paint manufacturers would honor one-year guarantees on their paint, two-year guarantees on their varnishes, and three-year guarantees on their rouge.

• Like 3

When a character consumes something with poison or a sleeping pill or what not, they immediately fall victim to its effects.  No time for digestion apparently.

I've noticed this multiple times in the movies I watched today.

• Like 2

Whenever a woman is running away from something, usually a monster, at one point she always falls to the ground.

Also, she's usually wearing white, no bra and it's always raining. 

Speaking of horror movie cliches...

Whatever female character seems the most goody two shoes/virginal is usually the only one who will survive the film.

The bad guy, instead of simply offing the captured good guy on the spot, will devise some sort of drawn-out, fiendishly clever method of execution that will take enough time to allow the good guy to figure out his escape.

• Like 2

The bad guy, instead of simply offing the captured good guy on the spot, will devise some sort of drawn-out, fiendishly clever method of execution that will take enough time to allow the good guy to figure out his escape.

And while he is doing this he explains his plans and confesses his crimes.

• Like 2

The boyfriend introduces his girl to his best friend.  The best friend (usually the marquee name) immediately takes a dislike to the girl and says there is no place for a woman on their mission/journey.

This animosity continues for a good 40 minutes or so until they fall into each other's arms and smooch.

The boyfriend meanwhile has the good grace to get himself killed and clear the path for true love between the two stars.

• Like 2

The boyfriend introduces his girl to his best friend.  The best friend (usually the marquee name) immediately takes a dislike to the girl and says there is no place for a woman on their mission/journey.

This animosity continues for a good 40 minutes or so until they fall into each other's arms and smooch.

The boyfriend meanwhile has the good grace to get himself killed and clear the path for true love between the two stars.

Before I was married I made sure to only introduce the girl I was with to supporting actors! 

• Like 3

When the good guy is breaking into the house, castle, cave or lair of the bad guy, he dispatches the sentries each with one knockout punch.  But earlier in the movie, when he's in a fistfight with the bad guys, it's a knock-down, drag-out encounter with a dozen punches landing before the bad guy can't get back up.

And... When he's punching out the sentries, he never takes their guns.   Never!    

Why do you think 007 has enjoyed such a long healthy life? Not exactly because he takes such good care of himself!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings