Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The One Movie I Want to See on TCM

CaveGirl

It's "The Great Gatsby" from 1949 with Alan Ladd.

Of all the Gatsbys, played by numerous stars I think Ladd would be the best. He encompasses everything about the character that Fitzgerald put in the text and subtext, and as I recall he was superb in the role.

But I saw it so far back, it is becoming a pale memory.

I can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere, except possibly bootleg ones on Ebay. I wish TCM would dig up a copy somehow and put it on the air.

This film was directed by Elliott Nugent and has the great cinematography of John Seitz, and also stars Betty Field, Macdonald Carey, Ruth Hussey, Barry Sullivan as Tom Buchanan and with additional fun by Elisha Cook Junior [i wonder what Senior looked like?] and always a thug, Jack Lambert.

Any information on this film's availability on tiv or on dvd would be most appreciated.

Any other films you are searching for or wish TCM to show?

Of all the Gatsbys, played by numerous stars I think Ladd would be the best. He encompasses everything about the character that Fitzgerald put in the text and subtext, and as I recall he was superb in the role.

I can't seem to find a copy of it anywhere, except possibly bootleg ones on Ebay. I wish TCM would dig up a copy somehow and put it on the air.

This film was directed by Elliott Nugent and has the great cinematography of John Seitz, and also stars Betty Field, Macdonald Carey, Ruth Hussey, Barry Sullivan as Tom Buchanan and with additional fun by Elisha Cook Junior [i wonder what Senior looked like?] and always a thug, Jack Lambert.

Any information on this film's availability on tiv or on dvd would be most appreciated.

The Alan Ladd,  The Great Gatsby is also #1 on my bucket list.    It is my understanding TCM can't get the rights to show the film because the studios that made the various remakes purchased the rights to the film and are holding it hostage.

You mean you don't wanna see the 1985 movie "CAVEGIRL" first and foremost, CaveGirl?  ;)

The #1 movie I'd like to see on TCM is still "P.J." (1968).  Haven't run across a film I wanna see more than that one.  "TIGER BY THE TAIL" (1970) is 2nd.

It was released on DVD in Australia last month. A review is here; http://www.impulsegamer.com/the-great-gatsby-dvd-review/

• 4 weeks later...

The thing about a movie like GREASE 2 is that it's an easily available film that can be had on the cheap on VHS and/or DVD.  You need not wait until TCM airs "Grease 2" (if TCM ever does) to see it.  It can be bought for a low price on Amazon or eBay.  Just pick a format.  :)

The thing about a movie like GREASE 2 is that it's an easily available film that can be had on the cheap on VHS and/or DVD.  You need not wait until TCM airs "Grease 2" (if TCM ever does) to see it.  It can be bought for a low price on Amazon or eBay.  Just pick a format.  :)

I want to hear Robert Osborne's commentary about GREASE 2.

I already have the movie.

The Cranes are Flying, a Russian film from 1957.

The discerning and intelligent poster SansFin recommended it,  the one and only time I believe TCM aired it. But I missed it , can't remember why.

If they ever show it again,this time around I'd make a point of watching it.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for "The Victors," Carl Foreman's stark 1963 view of American G.I.s in Europe during the final stages of World War II. The noteworthy international cast includes George Peppard, Melina Mercouri, Eli Wallach, Jeanne Moreau, George Hamilton, Romy Schneider, Vince Edwards, Elke Sommer, Peter Fonda, Senta Berger, John Mitchum, Rosanna Schiaffino and Albert Finney.

• Like 1

The Cranes are Flying, a Russian film from 1957.

The discerning and intelligent poster SansFin recommended it,  the one and only time I believe TCM aired it. But I missed it , can't remember why.

If they ever show it again,this time around I'd make a point of watching it.

I will second SansFin's  recommendation for THE CRANES ARE FLYING.

I saw it when it aired as a TCM Import.

I thank SansFin for mentioning it on these message boards.  

• Like 1

I will second SansFin's  recommendation for THE CRANES ARE FLYING.

I saw it when it aired as a TCM Import.

I thank SansFin for mentioning it on these message boards.  

The Cranes Are Flying is pretty good indeed.  This one may just blow you away though ...  Elem Klimov's Come and See (1985).

It might be available in libraries.

I'm still waiting for "The Victors," Carl Foreman's stark 1963 view of American G.I.s in Europe during the final stages of World War II. The noteworthy international cast includes George Peppard, Melina Mercouri, Eli Wallach, Jeanne Moreau, George Hamilton, Romy Schneider, Vince Edwards, Elke Sommer, Peter Fonda, Senta Berger, John Mitchum, Rosanna Schiaffino and Albert Finney.

James (billed as Jim in that one).

I was going to pick Hellzapoppin (1941), but I found it on YouTube, and it says, following the credits,: "Any resemblance between Hellzapoppin and a motion picture is purely coincidental."

hellzapoppin-hell2.png

So I'll pick Celine and Julie Go Boating, another surreal treat, instead.

• Like 1

Bogie56--on TCM, the movie "Come and See" (1985) is listed in Russian(?) as "Idi I Smotri" or as "Go and See".

Yes, Go and Look or Go and See is the literal translation but the film was titled Come and See for its release in English speaking countries.

In any event it is an incredibly powerful WWII film.  I've seen it several times and then went and bought myself a copy.  I've noted that it is a favourite of AndyM too.  

It's in our local library system so I suspect it might be in other libraries too.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings