Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is the one that would have been must-see TV! Martin playing his character and Lily Tomlin's character in the same body.

All of Me is my second favorite Martin film (after Dead Men).   Steve is a jazz guitar player and he has a very nice guitar that is shown at the start of the film.   I learned the song All of Me because of this film.  

Father of the Bride is on two or three times a week on other movie channels so why have that on in prime time? That's a waste of the most valuable time slot. At least it's not Father of the Bride II or some of the turkeys that he made recently.

what for? how about some movies. what am I suppose to do with AFI honors steve martin besides not watching it? :D

WOW! We have to thank our lucky stars it wasn't a week of **** Martin movies.

What a joke. About as classic as rap.

• Like 1

Who Next: A tribute to Pauly Shore?

While I'm not pleased by this night of Martin films and the AFI tribute being on TCM,  Martin did star in many retro type films and he clearly likes to pay homage to the era of films I do love,  with movies like Dead Men Don't Where Plaid,  Pennies from Heaven and remakes of classic films like Father of the Bride.    So placing him in the same category as Pauly Shore is 'off' IMO.  

I do hope that this type of programming isn't something that TCM is planning in the future.  

• Like 1

While I'm not pleased by this night of Martin films and the AFI tribute being on TCM,  Martin did star in many retro type films and he clearly likes to pay homage to the era of films I do love,  with movies like Dead Men Don't Where Plaid,  Pennies from Heaven and remakes of classic films like Father of the Bride.    So placing him in the same category as Pauly Shore is 'off' IMO.  

I do hope that this type of programming isn't something that TCM is planning in the future.

I was not placing Steve Martin in the Same category as Pauly Shore. TCM appears to be grasping at stars...for their programming needs.

I like Steve Martin but would not expect to see a tribute to him on TCM. I am not fond of Jane Fonda and TCM promoted the same tribute to her but at least I understand the Classic Connection with Jane Fonda.

I read these comment boards a lot and have not wanted to comment due to the many misinterpretations that occur from members and have noted how vicious some can get if their opinions are misconstrued. Thus, allow a member such as myself some leeway, I do not have the acumen like yourself or others that post daily.

Here's a list of the 43 recipients of the American Film Institute's Lifetime Achievement Award:

1973 -- John Ford.

1974 -- James Cagney.

1975 -- Orson Welles.

1976 -- William Wyler.

1977 -- Bette Davis (first female recipient).

1978 -- Henry Fonda (daughter Jane honored in 2014).

1979 -- Sir Alfred Hitchcock.

1980 -- James Stewart.

1981 -- Fred Astaire.

1982 -- Frank Capra.

1983 -- John Huston.

1984 -- Lillian Gish (oldest recipient at age 90).

1985 -- Gene Kelly.

1986 -- Billy Wilder.

1987 -- Barbara Stanwyck.

1988 -- Jack Lemmon.

1989 -- Gregory Peck.

1990 -- Sir David Lean.

1991 -- Kirk Douglas (son Michael honored in 2009).

1992 -- Sidney Poiter (first African-American recipient).

1993 -- Elizabeth Taylor.

1994 -- Jack Nicholson.

1995 -- Steven Spielberg.

1996 -- Clint Eastwood.

1997 -- Martin Scorsese.

1998 -- Robert Wise.

1999 -- Dustin Hoffman.

2000 -- Harrison Ford.

2001 -- Barbra Streisand.

2002 -- Tom Hanks (youngest recipient at age 45).

2003 -- Robert De Niro.

2004 -- Meryl Streep.

2005 -- George Lucas.

2006 -- Sir Sean Connery.

2007 -- Al Pacino.

2008 -- Warren Beatty (sister Shirley MacLaine honored in 2012).

2009 -- Michael Douglas (father Kirk honored in 1991).

2010 -- Mike Nichols.

2011 -- Morgan Freeman.

2012 -- Shirley MacLaine (brother Warren Beatty honored in 2008).

2013 -- Mel Brooks (first recipient honored primarily for comedy).

2014 -- Jane Fonda (father Henry honored in 1978).

2015 -- Steve Martin.

You cannot deny that that's a pretty impressive group of honorees.

I love the fact that since 2013, Turner Classic Movies has paid tribute to each year's AFI Lifetime Achievement Award winner. Apparently, many of you are blaming TCM for being the messenger when you don't like the message. Just remember, when you miss a city bus, there's usually another one on the way.

Next year's recipient could be someone of the caliber of Joanne Woodward, Sophia Loren, Debbie Reynolds, Dame Julie Andrews, Vanessa Redgrave or Julie Christie. Or perhaps Robert Redford, Denzel Washington, Daniel Day-Lewis, Sir Anthony Hopkins or George Clooney. Maybe Francis Ford Coppola, Norman Jewison, the Brothers Coen, Barry Levinson -- even Woody Allen, although (1) he probably wouldn't attend; and (2) he's rather controversial these days.

The reactions to this year's AFI Lifetime Achievement Award recipient are akin to the debate over whether the Houston Astros' Craig Biggio was consistently great enough to deserve induction this year into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. As for me, I'll always tip my cap to someone who accumulates 3,000 hits -- no matter how long it took for him to do it.

And I also tip my cap to comedy geniuses.

• Like 6

Murphy's Law strikes again: I have access to watch TCM for the first time in a long time and what's on?  A Steve Martin bonanza.  Sigh... :(

Well, so it goes.  I'm watching I Love Lucy reruns on DVD instead.  I'm not blaming TCM, I'm blaming Murphy. ;)

• Like 1

Murphy's Law strikes again: I have access to watch TCM for the first time in a long time and what's on?  A Steve Martin bonanza.  Sigh... :(

Well, so it goes.  I'm watching I Love Lucy reruns on DVD instead.  I'm not blaming TCM, I'm blaming Murphy. ;)

A good choice!  (Murphy and Lucy)

I'm a big fan of I Love Lucy so I won't begrudge you the opportunity to watch it.  That is my favorite show of all time.

Right now though, I am watching the Steve Martin AFI Tribute and am enjoying it.  I'm especially looking forward to Pennies From Heaven later.  I may use this opportunity of learning about Martin's career to perhaps add his films to my Netflix queue.  I'm really interested in All of Me.  I really liked Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid when I saw it and his part as "The Dentist" in Little Shop of Horrors.  I also loved Three AmigosPlanes, Trains and Automobiles is my family's annual Thanksgiving movie.

• Like 4

I'm a big fan of I Love Lucy so I won't begrudge you the opportunity to watch it.  That is my favorite show of all time.

Right now though, I am watching the Steve Martin AFI Tribute and am enjoying it.  I'm especially looking forward to Pennies From Heaven later.  I may use this opportunity of learning about Martin's career to perhaps add his films to my Netflix queue.  I'm really interested in All of Me.  I really liked Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid when I saw it and his part as "The Dentist" in Little Shop of Horrors.  I also loved Three AmigosPlanes, Trains and Automobiles is my family's annual Thanksgiving movie.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was a great movie, for the way they seamlessly integrated the classic film clips for hilarious results.  And I remember liking Planes but it's been some time since I've seen it.

• Like 2

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was a great movie, for the way they seamlessly integrated the classic film clips for hilarious results.  And I remember liking Planes but it's been some time since I've seen it.

I loved Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.  It was a very clever film that doesn't get enough attention. 

As for Planes, Trains and Automobiles, like I said, my family and I watch it annually for Thanksgiving-- we have the movie down pat. 

The best part is the whole motel sequence and when Steve Martin has his meltdown in the car rental office.  You should watch it this Thanksgiving :)

• Like 2