Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Collins

CaveGirl

It was great to see Joan hosting her four movie choices with Robert Osborne recently.

She is still beautiful, glamorous and looking like a real movie star.

My dream to see her star opposite Liz Taylor, as her evil sister [or vice versa] in some lurid melodrama...is sadly over, but I hope she returns to TCM again, as it is fun to hear her takes on films both of her and of others. Her backstage Hollywood stories like about Sydney Guillaroff [sp?] was interesting to hear. I have enjoyed seeing his take on Garbo on a TCM short subject.

Seeing Joan's earring fly off in the scene with June Allyson, in the remake of "The Women" is always fun, and "The Opposite Sex" is just one gorgeous film to view, as it is so colorful and the scenery and clothing are fabulous.

I wish Joan would do some guest hosting for films about bad girls in town, as she is always marvelous, in a role or as appearing as herself.

Anyone else a Joan fan?

How did I miss this? Saw nothing on TCM or the website about it. I saw the slate of films, but didnt realize she was appearing. Nothing interested me so I didnt watch. Had I known, I would have at least tuned in for her first few appearances. :(

Hibi--Collins was the Guest Programmer July 22--she chose Gilda (1946), Boom Town (1940), The Women (1939), & its' musical remake, The Opposite Sex (1956).

Yes, I didnt realize this until NOW. I saw the lineup but didnt realize she was going to be on. I missed any promos about it and didnt see any threads here either. :(

Yep, CG. I first took notice of Joan at age 15 in 1967 and while watching a first run episode of the original STAR TREK series titled "The City on the Edge of Forever", and where she played a character named Edith Keeler, a social worker and an ill-fated love interest of Captain Kirk's, and a story in which involved time travel back to 1930's Depression era NYC.

Joan-Collins-as-Edith-Keeler-TOS-The-Cit

(...and I've been hot for Joan ever since) ;)

• Like 1

Yep, CG. I first took notice of Joan at age 15 in 1967 and while watching a first run episode of the original STAR TREK series titled "The City on the Edge of Forever", and where she played a character named Edith Keeler, a social worker and an ill-fated love interest of Captain Kirk's, and a story in which involved time travel back to 1930's Depression era NYC.

That is a really good episode, maybe even my favorite from TOS. 

There is also an episode from The Next Generation, which I normally don't watch, that had the crew in a 1940s (or so) setting complete with gangsters, a dame, gangster slang, and period music.  It was sort of like watching an interesting classic-era B movie, with TNG Star Trek characters involved.  I think it was from an early season like the second first season.  Those episodes from the Star Trek franchise which put the viewer onto period-piece Earth settings are my favorite.

P.S. This one "might" be is the other episode I was thinking of.

Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Goodbye

Star Trek Wiki

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Big_Goodbye_%28episode%29

• Like 1

I never really got much into the TNG series, MCOH, but looking at your links and the synopses of that episode, I can see why anyone who's into classic film and film noir would find this one particular episode especially enjoyable.

I noticed it guest starred Lawrence Tierney, which sounds like great casting.

(...and now I'm sorry I've never seen this one)

Help me out here. Joan Collins looks like another actress. Who?

DownGoesFrazier--There are Five actresses she resembles somewhat (to me)

1. Diane Baker

2. Kim Hunter in "The Seventh Victim (1943)--she spends most of film in a coat like Collins'--but film is in b&w

3. Jessica Harper with a fuller face--did you see "Pennies from Heaven" last night?

4. Jean Simmons

5. Elizabeth Taylor

1. Jean Simmons

2. Elizabeth Taylor--with different shade eyes & a smaller "front"

3. Jessica Harper with a fuller face--did you see "Pennies from Heaven" last night?

4. Diane Baker

5. Kim Hunter in The Seventh Victim (1943)--she spends most of the movie in a coat that style, but film is b&w--now I'd move Hunter to #2 & Taylor to #5, looking again.

I think it's Liz. She looks like a poor man's Liz.

• Like 1

I saw The Doomsday Machine twice on it's original NBC run, did you? :D

1. Diane Baker

2. Kim Hunter in "The Seventh Victim (1943)--she spends most of film in a coat like Collins'--but film is in b&w

4. Jean Simmons

5. Elizabeth Taylor

I'd throw Vivien Leigh into that group, too. It's almost as if the British actresses on the list were made from the same Albion cookie cutter. I've always found it interesting that one of Simmons' first movie roles was as a harpist in the court of Cleopatra (Leigh) in "Caesar and Cleopatra" (1945).

I'd also add the Irish-born actress Audrey Dalton (from the 1953 version of "Titanic") to the list. She looks so much like Jean Simmons in "Separate Tables" (1958), you're likely to believe she IS Simmons.

• Like 1

Hibi,

I saw it in the program guide one gets mailed to them. It had Joan listed as a Guest Programmer I think, mentioning the four films Joan had picked. I've thrown out my program guide now so can't be sure.

I was watching an old clip on the Net of Joan being interviewed on The Tonight Show with David Brenner as guest host, and it was worth the price of admission, if you like seeing a man drool all over a lady and look like he is about to lick the sole of her shoe. He was so enraptured with her, if she had offered to cut his head off for a date I think he would have agreed.

Joan does seem to have that affect on some men, though Robert was his courtly male self with her as usual! Sorry you missed it...

Dargo, Joan is great in that episode and more than a match for James Kirk, who was always seen putting back on those pants after commercial breaks, due to his affinity for the distaff half.

But I digress, though Joan is fab in everything my personal favorite of her performances is in the classic "Tales From the Crypt" taken from the EC Comics tale "All Through the House". To this day, I cannot forget Joan hacking her hubby in the head with an axe, seeing the blood flow on the lovely plush white carpeting in Joan's abode, and seeing Joan calmly and without even mussing up her hair or breaking a fingernail, clean up the mess and hide the body...that is, until she hears the radio warning that a mad killer, has escaped from the friendly local insane asylum dressed like Santa Claus and to beware!

And then...there is the knock on the door, and Joan running around bolting all the windows down and closing shades and trying to keep her little daughter up in bed, waiting for the real Santa to appear.

Sorry, I got a bit excited there just reliving that kitsch classic. Joan is always just a joy to behold, even if she is holding an axe.

Dargo, Joan is great in that episode and more than a match for James Kirk, who was always seen putting back on those pants after commercial breaks, due to his affinity for the distaff half.

But I digress, though Joan is fab in everything my personal favorite of her performances is in the classic "Tales From the Crypt" taken from the EC Comics tale "All Through the House". To this day, I cannot forget Joan hacking her hubby in the head with an axe, seeing the blood flow on the lovely plush white carpeting in Joan's abode, and seeing Joan calmly and without even mussing up her hair or breaking a fingernail, clean up the mess and hide the body...that is, until she hears the radio warning that a mad killer, has escaped from the friendly local insane asylum dressed like Santa Claus and to beware!

And then...there is the knock on the door, and Joan running around bolting all the windows down and closing shades and trying to keep her little daughter up in bed, waiting for the real Santa to appear.

Sorry, I got a bit excited there just reliving that kitsch classic. Joan is always just a joy to behold, even if she is holding an axe.

At your suggestion, I just watched this movie on YouTube, CG.

A well made little horror anthology film to be sure. And yeah, Joan was good in it, as were all those other notable Brit actors.

(...except I gotta say whoever the prop manager was kind'a dropped the ball on getting something that actually looked like blood in Joan's segment)

Message for Cave Girl:  if you haven't seen a TV movie, These Old Broads, do so as you will partly get your wish.  Not only are Liz and Joan in it but Debbie Reynolds which really blows the minds of those of us who remember the scandal of 1958.

I admit that when I started watching the movies the first thing I did was check to see if Joan was wearing any of that purple eye shadow she always had a pound of on each eye on Dynasty.  She was down to a half pound but it was still there.  Of course I'd never have done that.  (Let's hope nobody has blackmail photos of my eyes covered in smoky green.)  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings