Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Revenge Of Frankenstein" (1958)

LiamCasey

This month's schedule for GetTV includes The Revenge Of Frankenstein (1958), the second in Hammer's series of Frankenstein movies, on 8/5, 8/8, 8/17 and 8/21. And, by the way, is not one of the three Frankenstein movies on TCM's October schedule.

Have I mentioned before that I like Peter Cushing?

• 2 weeks later...
I was awake very early this morning for no good reason at all so I caught the 4:15 AM EDT showing of The Revenge of Frankenstein on GetTV.

Not my first time watching this one, The Revenge of Frankenstein is not only a worthwhile and direct sequel to The Curse of Frankenstein (the movie that started Hammer down the horror genre path) but, in many ways, it is a better movie than its predecessor. Freed from the expectations to rehash Baron Frankenstein's origins, the sequel is not only able to get right to the heart of its story but is also able to present variations on the usual theme of these types of movies. For a change, Baron Frankenstein's creation looked like something that a doctor would create rather than simply looking like a monster for the sake of looking like a monster. And his creation didn't simply act like a monster for the sake of acting like a monster. And having the Baron eventually become one of his own creations was definitely an interesting twist.

Fun bits of casting in this one includes Lionel Jeffries best known for portraying the father of Dick Van Dyke's character in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) as one of the two grave robbers who appear near the beginning of the movie. And Eunice Gayson who is the first Bond girl in the movies and appears in both Dr. No (1962) and From Russia with Love (1963).

Archived