Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

BLUE DENIM

I have a cousin named Missy after Missy Matthews (Carol Roux), a very popular character on Another World in the mid-1960s. The names Amanda and Jessica, which sounded very old-fashioned when I was growing up, became popular again after they were soap opera baby names, Amanda on AW and Jessica on The Doctors, I think.

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

I have a cousin named Missy after Missy Matthews (Carol Roux), a very popular character on Another World in the mid-1960s. The names Amanda and Jessica, which sounded very old-fashioned when I was growing up, became popular again after they were soap opera baby names, Amanda on AW and Jessica on The Doctors, I think.

Amanda and Jessica were very popular in the 90s too. 

You know, a few days ago someone actually posted a review of the movie BLUE DENIM in this thread and I almost yelled at them for being off-topic.

Then I remembered that’s what this thread is ostensibly about.

• Haha 2

I love this thread.  It gets my vote as one of the best, should anyone be keeping score.

And really, doesn't everything, somehow, relate back to Brandon and Carol?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Amanda and Jessica were very popular in the 90s too. 

Yes, that was after they were soap opera baby names in the late 70s, I think. Cause and effect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

I love this thread.  It gets my vote as one of the best, should anyone be keeping score.

And really, doesn't everything, somehow, relate back to Brandon and Carol?

I think this thread is the most I've ever participated in a thread where I haven't seen the film in question.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You know, a few days ago someone actually posted a review of the movie BLUE DENIM in this thread and I almost yelled at them for being off-topic.

Then I remembered that’s what this thread is ostensibly about.

Speaking of blue denim...

Yesterday I watched an episode of '90210' and a background character was wearing a denim button down shirt underneath a pair of denim overalls, with one strap undone. It was amazing.

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Speaking of blue denim...

Yesterday I watched an episode of '90210' and a background character was wearing a denim button down shirt underneath a pair of denim overalls, with one strap undone. It was amazing.

I don't think I ever had a denim shirt, but I did have denim overalls that were often worn with one strap undone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I don't think I ever had a denim shirt, but I did have denim overalls that were often worn with one strap undone.

Did you rock some Timberlands with them? 

I just got some Doc Martens last week in Portland. I'm so excited. The 90s are back with this girl!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

the SINISTER STEFANO:

latest?cb=20171209135026

Ah, yes, the sinister Stefano DiMera, one of the all-time great soap characters.

I just discovered that the actor who played Stefano died in 2016 so I wonder if DAYS OF OUR LIVES will let the character actually die. He "returned from the dead" a few times I think.

I only watched DAYS OF OUR LIVES casually, but in the early 2010s I would occasionally watch the "encore" airings of of episodes in the evening on SoapNet, before that channel went away. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Ah, yes, the sinister Stefano DiMera, one of the all-time great soap characters.

I just discovered that the actor who played Stefano died in 2016 so I wonder if DAYS OF OUR LIVES will let the character actually die. He "returned from the dead" a few times I think.

I only watched DAYS OF OUR LIVES casually, but in the early 2010s I would occasionally watch the "encore" airings of of episodes in the evening on SoapNet, before that channel went away. 

Maybe they'll have him appear as his evil twin in hologram form.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:48 PM, speedracer5 said:

Ooh maybe your cousin and I have the same name. Lol.

YES! That scene was amazing. I remember seeing that episode when it was new. I seem to remember it being part of a season finale. If I remember right, Kimberly is in some sort of accident, then she comes back, seemingly okay.  But as the season unfolds, it is apparent that something is very wrong with Kimberly. I think the next season, where Kimberly is completely bonkers is the one that culminates with Kimberly blowing up the apartment complex. I remember seeing that cliffhanger when it was new. I remember waiting all summer to see what was going to happen. 

At one point Kimberly was seeing and hearing hallucinations of a man (I think his name was Henry) who told her to get revenge on those who betrayed her.  I think maybe he told her she should blow up the apartment complex.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Did you rock some Timberlands with them? 

I just got some Doc Martens last week in Portland. I'm so excited. The 90s are back with this girl!

Yes, I did have my obligatory Timberlands. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

At one point Kimberly was seeing and hearing hallucinations of a man (I think his name was Henry) who told her to get revenge on those who betrayed her.  I think maybe he told her she should blow up the apartment complex.

Didn't she get in a car accident with Michael, leading to the brain surgery, leading to her insane scar and wig? Or am I thinking of something else?

On 9/25/2019 at 10:54 AM, speedracer5 said:

Man. What an amazing name Stefano would have been for my bird.  Though I don't know if he could have learned how to say "Stefano." He says "Buddy" pretty well.

My birds are female and don't talk. Well, they don't speak any human languages.  They do quite a lot of bird talk.

Supposedly male birds learn to mimic human sounds more easily than female birds do.

• Like 1

Just now, HoldenIsHere said:

My birds are female and don''t talk. Well, they don't speak any human languages.  They do quite a lot of bird talk.

Supposedly male birds learn to mimic human sounds more easily than female birds do.

My bird ("Buddy" the green cheek conure parrot) says the following:

Buddy

I love you

Good job

Go poop

What

No

Come Here

Baby

Monster

Yeah

Give me a kiss

---

He can string these statements together and say things like "Good job Buddy!" "I love you Buddy!" "Give me a kiss Buddy!" 

• Like 1

Didn't she get in a car accident with Michael, leading to the brain surgery, leading to her insane scar and wig? Or am I thinking of something else?

Yeah, Michael proposed to her while driving and had a car accident. She was in a coma and her mother took her back home (to Ohio maybe?)  The mother later told everyone that Kimberly died, but it was a lie. Kimberly returned to Melrose Place and eventually viewers were treated to the great wig scene.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

My bird ("Buddy" the green cheek conure parrot) says the following:

Buddy

I love you

Good job

Go poop

What

No

Come Here

Baby

Monster

Yeah

Give me a kiss

---

He can string these statements together and say things like "Good job Buddy!" "I love you Buddy!" "Give me a kiss Buddy!" 

My two female green cheek conures make a wide variety of bird sounds but they don't say any human words.

Just now, HoldenIsHere said:

Yeah, Michael proposed to her while driving and had a car accident. She was in a coma and her mother took her back home (to Ohio maybe?)  The mother later told everyone that Kimberly died, but it was lie. KImberly returned to Melrose Place and eventually viewers were treated to the great wig scene.

I'm glad I remembered this.  I watched this show during the first run, so this was like what? 1993? 1994? I was in 4th or 5th grade (depending on the year) at this time.  Melrose Place is on Hulu. I feel like a rewatch is needed.

Did you know that Melrose Place is a spinoff of 90210 ? I didn't know that until I saw Jake in a late season 2 episode. He was Jackie Taylor's handyman, an acquaintance of Dylan's (because of course, 17 year old Dylan knows EVERYONE in Beverly Hills), and a crush of Kelly's.  Kelly tries to get with 20-something Jake, and at first he's into it, and then is like "what, you're only a junior in high school.  This is a bad idea." Which is amazing, because Kelly's loneliness serves as one of the catalysts for the amazing Kelly-Dylan-Brenda love triangle of season 3.

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Maybe they'll have him appear as his evil twin in hologram form.

Maybe there is some unused footage of him (the "Stefano" actor) that can be used just as unused footage of Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia from STAR WARS Episode 7 and 8 is being used in the upcoming STAR WARS Episode 9. 

• Like 1

I'm glad I remembered this.  I watched this show during the first run, so this was like what? 1993? 1994? I was in 4th or 5th grade (depending on the year) at this time.  Melrose Place is on Hulu. I feel like a rewatch is needed.

Did you know that Melrose Place is a spinoff of 90210 ? I didn't know that until I saw Jake in a late season 2 episode. He was Jackie Taylor's handyman, an acquaintance of Dylan's (because of course, 17 year old Dylan knows EVERYONE in Beverly Hills), and a crush of Kelly's.  Kelly tries to get with 20-something Jake, and at first he's into it, and then is like "what, you're only a junior in high school.  This is a bad idea." Which is amazing, because Kelly's loneliness serves as one of the catalysts for the amazing Kelly-Dylan-Brenda love triangle of season 3.

Was the Jake on a lot of episodes of 90210 or just a few just to set up the MELROSE PLACE series? 

Kind of like Laverne and Shirley were just on one episode of HAPPY DAYS?

15 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

My two female green cheek conures make a wide variety of bird sounds but they don't say any human words.

Yea,  conures are cute.   I have a male and female pair and while they don't speak any words they sure are loud.  

2111997740_JiffyLulu3.thumb.jpg.cc81cf832dddb25be743c1146b32103c.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Was the Jake on a lot of episodes of 90210 or just a few just to set up the MELROSE PLACE series? 

Kind of like Laverne and Shirley were just on one episode of HAPPY DAYS?

I think he's in 2 episodes.  I thought they were both in season 2, but it's the last episode of season 2 and the first episode of season 3.  In the season 2 episode, Kelly's mom, Jackie hires Jake to do some work on her home before her baby with David's dad, Mel, is born.  Kelly instantly has a crush on him (understandable, Jake is pretty cute).  Jake seems to be a little into her, but fully cognizant that she's a highschooler.  Of course Dylan is there to warn both Jake and Kelly, because he knows everyone and everything about Beverly Hills.  I believe Jake kisses Kelly at her mother and Mel's wedding reception.  Then in season 3, Jake tells Kelly that he cannot pursue a relationship with her, because duh, she's under 18.  He finishes his job for Jackie, then presumably moves into his apartment at Melrose Place.

Originally they were going to base Melrose Place around Brandon's bonkers girlfriend, Emily Valentine, but for whatever reason that fell through, and Jake was the link between the two shows.