Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't think Shannen Doherty ever returned to the show in any capacity.  I know she was part of a 10-year "high school reunion" (2003) special, and I think she appeared in some episodes of the 90210 reboot.  She was also in the recent BH90210 show.  Tiffani Thiessen however, I don't think has ever had anything to do with the show since its end.  I think because she wasn't part of the OG cast, she's never part of reunion specials or anything like that.  Then there's poor Scott Scanlon, who was part of the OG cast, more so than Luke Perry, and he's never mentioned again after his character's death in season 2.  It's almost as if he never existed.  Even Dylan is like "which one was Scott?"

I liked Scott Scanlon. The powers that be phased him out as they moved David Silver into the "cool" crowd.

Scott's sister was in Season 3 and I think she mentioned Scott.

480?cb=20101224191600

speedracer and Stevomachino, do either of you have the 90210 DVDs?

I was wondering if the DVD sets include the summer seasons and, if so, on which sets they appear?

16 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I liked Scott Scanlon. The powers that be phased him out as they moved David Silver into the "cool" crowd.

Scott's sister was in Season 3 and I think she mentioned Scott.

480?cb=20101224191600

I was wondering if the DVD sets include the summer seasons and, if so, on which sets they appear?

I have the DVDs up through season 4. The summer episodes are at the beginnings of season 2 and 3. Season 2 is when Brandon works at the beach club and Dylan is broke and then is in a surfing accident (I also theorized that he and Andrea were roommates because the same exterior house is used to represent their respective homes). Season 3 is the infamous “summer of deception” and the beginning of the amazing Dylan-Brenda-Kelly triangle. It’s also when Brenda and Donna go to Paris. 

13 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

I've definitely looking forward to speedracer's BELL/90210 crossover story.

Same here. I'm excited to see what she comes up with!

Like Speedy, I also have seasons 1-4 on dvd, and the info she gives in the post above is spot on. It really was a smart move to air first-run episodes in season 2 during the summer to cash in on the popularity of the show and keep the momentum rolling. The one thing I hate about the DVDs is the omission of a lot of the original music. Much of it has been replaced with generic tunes (presumably due to rights issues). It's just kind of jarring sometimes to be watching an episode and specifically remember a certain song being played during a scene, only to have it missing on the DVDs.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stevomachino said:

Same here. I'm excited to see what she comes up with!

Like Speedy, I also have seasons 1-4 on dvd, and the info she gives in the post above is spot on. It really was a smart move to air first-run episodes in season 2 during the summer to cash in on the popularity of the show and keep the momentum rolling. The one thing I hate about the DVDs is the omission of a lot of the original music. Much of it has been replaced with generic tunes (presumably due to rights issues). It's just kind of jarring sometimes to be watching an episode and specifically remember a certain song being played during a scene, only to have it missing on the DVDs.

I also hate the missing music--especially since I watched the show during the original run.  Granted, I was in elementary school during the Brenda episodes, but I specifically remembered Sophie B. Hawkins' "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" in the season 3 "Summer of Deception" episode when Kelly cuddles with Dylan at Paradise Cove--their last night alone together before stupid Brenda* comes back.

There are also episodes where Donna says things like "this is my favorite song" and some weird nothing song is on.  Or in the season 3 episode when Dylan is trying to decide between Kelly and Brenda (which ugh! don't even get me started on Brenda horning back in and trying to get with Dylan after he'd already made up his mind and asked Kelly out), Nat gets mad at Dylan for playing the same song on the jukebox over and over again.  And it's just some random song. I usually have to look up the episodes on the 90210 Wiki to find out what the actual music is.

What's funny is in the season 1 episode where Brandon dates the ice skater (his latest girl of the week), he and she skate to some allegedly romantic song (which I later learned was the song from "Dirty Dancing," "I've Had the Time of My Life"). Brandon even says something like "I had the time of my life" when answering someone's question about dating  the skater.  Then in the season 3 graduation episode, they show a flashback of the episode and the real song is playing! Why could they play the song in a clip-show but not in the actual episode?

I was happy that "It's My Party" was used in the episode with Brenda as "Lavoyne."  

And of course, thank god the music stylings of David Silver were kept in the show, for all of us to enjoy again and again.

"You're so precious to me. Am I precious to you?" 

I would proudly re-buy the seasons on DVD/Blu Ray if they'd restore the music.  They did it with The Wonder Years, it's possible.  Though 90210 was 10 seasons 200-something episodes (maybe even 300?), so there's probably a lot of music to cover.

*-I was not a fan of Brenda in elementary school when I watched the show during the first go-around, and while watching the show as an adult, elementary school me was right--Brenda sucks.  I'd be happy to go on my Brenda rant if anyone wants to read it.  For me, Kelly + Dylan were way better than Brenda + Dylan.  Dylan has always been my #1, but Kelly was my #2 favorite character on the show. She and Steve kind of wavered back and forth between #2 and #3. 

P.S. I have my fan fic all in my head, I just haven't had time to type it all out. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stevomachino said:

The one thing I hate about the DVDs is the omission of a lot of the original music. Much of it has been replaced with generic tunes (presumably due to rights issues). It's just kind of jarring sometimes to be watching an episode and specifically remember a certain song being played during a scene, only to have it missing on the DVDs.

On the subject of music rights and TV series:

I loved the original ROSWELL TV series that originally aired from 1999 to 2002 and I loved the music used on the show. I recorded all the original episode airings on VHS, but was hoping to someday own the series on DVD. Alas, I learned that on the DVD versions much of the original music was replaced with other tunes. So I did not purchase the DVDs. The series streams on Hulu (which I don't subscribe to), but I've heard that the versions on Hulu also don't have the original music.

Happily, when FREAKS & GEEKS was released on DVD, the rights to the music featured in the original broadcast versions of the episodes was secured. The price was a higher than usual for a single season series, but I was willing to pay that.   

53 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I specifically remembered Sophie B. Hawkins' "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" in the season 3 "Summer of Deception" episode when Kelly cuddles with Dylan at Paradise Cove--their last night alone together before stupid Brenda* comes back.

Yes! That is one of the most egregious omissions.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

And of course, thank god the music stylings of David Silver were kept in the show, for all of us to enjoy again and again.

Hah!!

I would proudly re-buy the seasons on DVD/Blu Ray if they'd restore the music.  They did it with The Wonder Years, it's possible.  Though 90210 was 10 seasons 200-something episodes (maybe even 300?), so there's probably a lot of music to cover.

Yes, I agree. It would be an undertaking for sure, but we can cross our fingers. I'd finally get around to buying seasons 5-10 if they did!

2 minutes ago, Stevomachino said:

Yes, I agree. It would be an undertaking for sure, but we can cross our fingers. I'd finally get around to buying seasons 5-10 if they did!

I'm buying the seasons as we get to them.  I re-watched seasons 1-3 myself and then my husband, would see episodes here and there.  In season 3, when the show was serialized, he (who never saw the show during its original run, and was making fun of me for watching it) got hooked and was like "wait? I thought she was dating him, why are they together?" "Why is Steve in detention?" "Wait, I thought Andrea was the editor" and so on.  He was hooked. So we had to start over at the pilot and re-watch.  FINALLY, we're almost done with season 3 (we're at the DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES episode) and I can soon get to season 4 (the last Brenda season, thank god). When we get halfway through season 4, I'll pick up season 5, so we're ready when we finally get to meet Val! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Happily, when FREAKS & GEEKS was released on DVD, the rights to the music featured in the original broadcast versions of the episodes was secured. The price was a higher than usual for a single season series, but I was willing to pay that.   

Freaks and Geeks doesn't have very many episodes, so maybe that's why it was easy to procure the music? I have Freaks and Geeks too. I got the whole series, used, for $10. 

Talk about a show that was canceled way too soon.

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Freaks and Geeks doesn't have very many episodes, so maybe that's why it was easy to procure the music? I have Freaks and Geeks too. I got the whole series, used, for $10. 

Talk about a show that was canceled way too soon.

I paid $36 for my FREAKS AND GEEKS DVD set.

It was worth it to me, but, wow, $10!

• Like 1

I'm buying the seasons as we get to them.  I re-watched seasons 1-3 myself and then my husband, would see episodes here and there.  In season 3, when the show was serialized, he (who never saw the show during its original run, and was making fun of me for watching it) got hooked and was like "wait? I thought she was dating him, why are they together?" "Why is Steve in detention?" "Wait, I thought Andrea was the editor" and so on.  He was hooked. So we had to start over at the pilot and re-watch.  FINALLY, we're almost done with season 3 (we're at the DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES episode) and I can soon get to season 4 (the last Brenda season, thank god). When we get halfway through season 4, I'll pick up season 5, so we're ready when we finally get to meet Val! 

It's so easy to get hooked. I'm a year younger than the main characters are supposed to be, so it was released at a perfect time for me to watch through my high school years (and beyond, haha).

Yes, DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES! A classic! And although I agree with you about Brenda being incredibly annoying, I do think, overall, that I prefer the first half of the show's run to the last, especially as we lost more and more of the original characters. (I do love the addition of Val though. By far the best of the non-original gang)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Stevomachino said:

It's so easy to get hooked. I'm a year younger than the main characters are supposed to be, so it was released at a perfect time for me to watch through my high school years (and beyond, haha).

Yes, DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES! A classic! And although I agree with you about Brenda being incredibly annoying, I do think, overall, that I prefer the first half of the show's run to the last, especially as we lost more and more of the original characters. (I do love the addition of Val though. By far the best of the non-original gang)

I was 6 when the show started (so like 10 years younger than the characters) and a month shy of 16 when it ended.  Yes, I was probably technically too young for the show when it started, but I watched it anyway...with my parents no less.  I was an avid viewer, every Wednesday night at 8 (though I think it was on Thursdays at some point too).  I also watched Melrose Place every Monday with my parents.  I think  I may have also watched Party of Five too, but I don't recall that show being as interesting as either 90210 or Melrose Place

Don't even get me started with how Donna ends up in the DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES predicament in the first place.  Why didn't the gang take drunk Donna up to David's room at the BelAge that he had already rented? Why parade her through the main lobby in front of Mrs. Teasley? A group of 8 people all huddled around someone walking towards the door is never not going to look suspicious.  Dylan lived at the BelAge in season 1, surely he knew of some alternate way to get Donna out of the hotel, discreetly.  But I digress.

I do agree that the beginning of the show is better, especially since toward the end of the series, every single conceivable horrible thing that could happen to Kelly, happened.  However, I much prefer Val over Brenda.  The season 5 episode when Val, Dylan and Jonesy go to Mexico to recover Dylan's millions is hilarious.

I didn't like the second half of season 6 through season 8 when Dylan was gone.  He was my favorite character.  What's the point of 90210 without Luke Perry? I liked that he came back in seasons 9 & 10 in a Heather Locklear role as "Special Guest star Luke Perry" but by then, the show didn't resemble its former self.  When Dylan returns, its as if he's no longer in AA and is seen freely drinking without any problems. Talk about lack of continuity. Maybe staying with Brenda in London cured him of his addiction.  I doubt it though. If anything, she'd fuel his addiction, because she's so much drama. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Don't even get me started with how Donna ends up in the DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES predicament in the first place.

Haha, yeah, it is a pretty ridiculous scenario, but I guess that's part of the fun, and it leads to the great chanting scenes during Donna's hearing.

31 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The season 5 episode when Val, Dylan and Jonesy go to Mexico to recover Dylan's millions is hilarious.

That was a great storyline in general. Dylan getting swindled by that couple, losing his money and his sister Erica, which ultimately leads to the episode you mention. Their hi-jinks in that episode ARE fantastic!

40 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

toward the end of the series, every single conceivable horrible thing that could happen to Kelly, happened.

Poor Kelly Taylor...she really did run the gamut of insanely terrible circumstances. The cult, the coke, being burned alive in the fire, the stalker, the murder/suicide attempt by said stalker, the r a p e, the shooting, and on and on!

59 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

What's the point of 90210 without Luke Perry?

Yeah, exactly. Once he was gone, it wasn't the same. Add to that Ahhhhndrea being gone, Brenda and Brandon both leaving, and even Jim and Cindy moving away (how can you have Casa Walsh with no Walshes?!), it just kinda feels different.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I first saw this video of Brandon deWilde's appearance on WHAT'S MY LINE a few years ago.

I found it again it :) and decided to post it here.

Watched him on Wagon Train last night;  He played a very young solider that was the son of  a hardnosed commander.

De Wilde played a sensitive young man (e.g. he played the violin):   a part his screen persona was made for.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Watched him on Wagon Train last night;  He played a very young solider that was the son of  a hardnosed commander.

De Wilde played a sensitive young man (e.g. he played the violin):   a part his screen persona was made for.  

Yes, Brandon de Wilde was in 2 episodes of WAGON TRAIN. He played the title roles in "The Danny Benedict Story" (the one you mention where he plays the son of a strict colonel) and "The Mark Miner Story" (where his character plays the guitar and sings, although I'm pretty sure his singing voice was dubbed).

He was really good in both episodes as was the boy who played his younger brother in "The Mark Miner Story."